mcarterbrown.com  

Money and Finance Because you have to save money to spend it on new paintball stuff!

Old 02-02-2018, 02:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
THE Green Modster

Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

CCM Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
Anyone using PersonalCapital.com

I started a couples weeks ago when I found it looking for alternatives to Mint (issues with it connecting to my accounts). So far I like it and find it useful and user friendly. I'll report back from time to time if people are interested.

Basically a website and an app designed to focus on retirement and investing with some cashflow and budgeting functionality also. It's free with option to buy investing help and advice.
Stock class = https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...ml#post2063667

Master Jar Jar

Last edited by Greenmtnphantom; 02-02-2018 at 02:56 PM.
Greenmtnphantom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 09:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
I Am The Admin

Send a message via AIM to Painthappy

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
I downloaded the app, but never gotten around to using it. I'd love to hear more about it.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
THE Green Modster

CCM Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
Initial thoughts are as follows.
No problem connecting to any of my financial institutions including my local credit union, and Capitalone (which is the one that I was having trouble with with Mint)

Initial connection downloaded about 30 days of history as a starting block and the intuitive category assignments were pretty accurate. Standard reports for Cashflow, expense tracking and retirement planning are all built in.

A few minutes to answer a few questions and it spit out a graph showing retirement savings using it's own system to estimate and show both mean and bottom 10% so you get a visual of an expected growth and a "worst case scenario" along with how long it will last once you retire.

For beginners they analyze the fees for your accounts and compare to them to their benchmark, showing how much of yoru savings the fees eat up over time.

SO FAR - I find the information it provides is useful and it's easy to use. As with most of these programs I have tried there are WAY more expense categories than I need. I have sent in a request to the company to be able to split transactions into multiple categories which is a feature I expected to be basic but is not included.

Master Jar Jar
Old 02-26-2018, 07:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
Been about 4 years out of paintball, but hope to get back into it! I guess I'm getting my toes wet in the money-finance forum haha.

I use Personal Capital, and I really like it as an information tool. The expense of their financial advice service is a little high for me (I do not use any), but that is kind of a totally different discussion. They had a temporary issue with one of my banks, but i think that is resolved now.

As for the free service, I think it is great. I invest/trade on 5 different platforms, so it is nice to get all of the information together. Now it is not anything an excel sheet cannot do, but it does it for free and automatically. I have been using for 9 months now, and the most useful services I think are:

Budgeting/cash flow
Fee expenses over life
Retirement calculators
Day to day and long term total loss/gain $ and % (daily loss portion was extra fun to look at earlier this month)
Asset allocations (large/med/small cap blend/growth etc.)

This is from my "You Index" from last year. This is a much longer calculation and data collection to do by hand so this saves a bit of time. This seems a little high as some of it may have been back calculated from before I initiated, but hey I have a feel good that I made good decisions somewhere.

But my favorite is the budgeting/cash flow. I have yet to use a better service that can correctly categorize my expenses and remember how I categorized them. It is very easy to see how much I spend on groceries or whatever every month, and easily compare month to month.

Overall, I recommend it, but mostly if you use multiple investing platforms. Any single platform will offer similar performance analysis.

Last edited by Tangerine3486; 02-26-2018 at 07:41 PM.
Tangerine3486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 10:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
THE Green Modster

CCM Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
After about a month I'm finding it really useful, especially the cashflow features and easy of looking at my retirement and seeing how it is doing against different markets.

I did contact their customer service about not being able to split transactions into multiple categories being a con for me using their program. I received a polite email back in a timely manner that basically said that they would keep it in mind for a future feature.

No connection issues with any of my accounts and it's doing a pretty good job of learning what categories merchants are usually put in.

Master Jar Jar
Old 03-29-2018, 08:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
THE Green Modster

CCM Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
Update:

Budgeting - Pro vs Mint, Cash Flow Tracking. This makes explaining to my wife where we are financially at a given point in the month a lot easier and allows me to look at the patterns easier.

Con vs Mint- Transactions cannot be split into multiple categories for tracking so budget in those categories are less accurate (getting misc. stuff along with groceries at Costco is all going to go in one category) Total monthly expenditure is still good but breaking it down is a bit more of a challenge of memory.

Investment tracking - Setting it up to track both my wife's retirement accounts and mine took talking to customer service and some playing around but I finally got something I felt happy was accurate. Easy view of how things are going right now was at first hard to swallow since the markets aren't doing well right now but being able to compare my performance vs the markets is, for me pretty comforting.
Attached Images

Master Jar Jar
Old 04-04-2018, 12:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
THE Green Modster

CCM Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
So they are doing a special right now to try to get new members. If anyone here with a retirement account wants to sign up and has a retirement account sign up through this link and supposedly they will send us each $20 amazon gift cards.

https://share.personalcapital.com/x/iuSutm

Master Jar Jar

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Money and Finance