mcarterbrown.com  

Music Music in General, Bands, Swap Stories, Swap Band Equipment, etc

Old 09-10-2019, 08:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
Space Commie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislognshot View Post
why not ipod touch
Click wheel iPods are massively better for serious music listening. They have larger capacities and real buttons.
SignOfZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 11:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
Post Whore

Also, as I've mentioned, unless there have been major improvements to the iPod line, you can get superior sound quality for half the price and they demanded their own software which, when I had a mini, was complete trash.
My MCB Feedback
My eBay Feedback
Moriearty Hobby Supply on eBay and Facebook.
Deus Machina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 09:39 AM   #13 (permalink)
Space Commie

Unless you have high impedance cans the iPhone/iPod amps of the last decade plus are as good as anything in the mainstream market. The main thing that sucks about them is the user interface which is a swiping tapping scrolling PITA. That and Apple is continually sabotaging the traditional music experiment so that you’ll buy their streaming service which I have zero interest in until it can play The Wall without introducing audible breaks between tracks.

It’s amazing how reliably gap-less playback is still just a *little* bit further into the future...or the past maybe since it wasn’t an issue on LPs, CDs, or any kind of tape but these damn phones that we are devoting a significant chunk of our GDP to can’t quite seem to pull it off more than about 3/4 of the time.
Old 09-21-2019, 03:29 AM   #14 (permalink)
Post Whore

Well, hit up Amazon and ordered a new Walkman. Less money than an iPod, better quality.
At least my last two were.
As long as this still plays nice with Sony's older software, I'm golden.
My MCB Feedback
My eBay Feedback
Old 09-21-2019, 09:28 AM   #15 (permalink)
Space Commie

You don’t need any software. You just drag and drop everything, at least on the NW-A45.
Old 09-22-2019, 01:40 AM   #16 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignOfZeta View Post
You donít need any software. You just drag and drop everything, at least on the NW-A45.
I know I don't need it. But with 149gb of music files on the PC, it's good to have a program that will organize things and manage playlists.
My MCB Feedback
My eBay Feedback
Old 09-22-2019, 11:11 AM   #17 (permalink)
Space Commie

Not if itís Sony software!

Just donít put all 150 GB on the player. Thatís another failure of modern group think. You donít need to bring it all with you. I CANNOT listen to %1 of my music collection until Iím back home for the day so I donít feel the need to scroll through tens of thousands of songs Iím not going to listen to that day or week or even year or maybe even decade.

On mine the SD card holds all the insanely high res stuff (quad rate DSD can easily exceed 2GB per track) and I use the built in storage to hold all the normal bit rate stuff.

I listen to many many genres of music but never more than two or three in week. Itís fall, so thereís a lot of metal on there right now. All the classic prog from Yes/Genesis/ELP is always on there but I only need ten hours of continuous dance mix when Iím up for it, same with XMas stuff. My once complete Guided by Voices folder is just way too stupid huge to bring around if Iím not going to use it, that goes double for the dozens of hours of audiobooks and radio drama I have.

To be fair though, I do always have an iPhone and iTunes Match so if I want to hear anything in my iTunes I can just use that, I mainly only use the phone for podcasts now though. I really dislike the Music app now pretty intensely.
Old 09-22-2019, 01:27 PM   #18 (permalink)
Post Whore

I'm still using Sony's Media Go software. It's as good as Windows Media Player--at least an edition or two ago; I haven't tried using it for that since--and vastly better than iTunes (ditto) and even iTunes was better than their current Music Center.
At the time I first used it, two Walkmans ago, Media Go was the best 'integrated' software out there, and I'm just so set on it that I kept it. Besides, it's just a lot easier to organize and apply all the info to music.
If I ever run across a better free program that will sync to my player, I'll use that instead. But Media Go does everything I need better than anything else I have available.

And, no, I don't try to stick 149gb onto my player. Heck, my last one was 16gb, and this one is only 8. I only have a little over 2gb on it. A few hundred songs that are just easier to organize into playlists than cycle out.

The rest goes into playlists that inspire me when I'm working on my own music or writing, a much smaller collection of soundtracks (mostly from games; my music is largely game-inspired), or one or two particular labels (one in particular is just one person with many aliases, and those get grouped into that list instead of tracking a dozen 'different artists') or just when I want chill background music or something energetic or aggressive.

And it really is getting time to go through and clear a bunch out, but I just haven't started on that yet.
My MCB Feedback
My eBay Feedback

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Music