mcarterbrown.com  

Music Music in General, Bands, Swap Stories, Swap Band Equipment, etc

Old 12-09-2019, 03:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
Space Commie

I donít see why he would need a special soundcard. DAW software does everything with the CPU and can render straight to disc. A set of USB headphones can provide top level monitoring if thatís even needed.

I usually use MIDI over DIN or CV and I have a 24 track Portastudio but I have a million wires all over the place. Thatís my way. If heís only using one program itís best to stay in that program until legitimate creative needs drive him to buy hardware.

Workflow is everything. If it slows you down it sucks. If it frustrates you it sucks. If youíre rich and have technicians then go crazy but most people have to tech themselves and thatís all time taken away from the creative process.
SignOfZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 03:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
<Custom User Title>

You can use most synths as a Midi controller. I find its nicer for when you want to play around too.

Why I am a Champion (Feedback)

Paintball Guns > Tuition
Allerstern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 05:52 PM   #13 (permalink)
Post Whore

I guess I can't imagine not having basic analog audio I/O for plugins along with midi I/O. But I understand not everyone is interested in outboard processing weirdness.
estin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
Space Commie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allerstern View Post
You can use most synths as a Midi controller. I find its nicer for when you want to play around too.
True, but when money is limited, as I think it is in this case, then youíre better off spending what you can on a hollow keyboard. The synth will double or triple the price meaning youíll probably have a crappier set of keys.

For example, the Roland A-49 I mentioned has better keys (non-weighted) than any synth under $1200 and it only costs $200. He could buy a Microbrute for $300 but the keys suuuuuck on those things so he still wouldnít have the decent keyboard which is what he posted about.

If he was in the market for a Nord or something Iíd agree with you.
SignOfZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
<Custom User Title>

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignOfZeta View Post
True, but when money is limited, as I think it is in this case, then youíre better off spending what you can on a hollow keyboard. The synth will double or triple the price meaning youíll probably have a crappier set of keys.

For example, the Roland A-49 I mentioned has better keys (non-weighted) than any synth under $1200 and it only costs $200. He could buy a Microbrute for $300 but the keys suuuuuck on those things so he still wouldnít have the decent keyboard which is what he posted about.

If he was in the market for a Nord or something Iíd agree with you.
Pfft. Everyone knows the Microfreak has the BEST Keys around /s

Yeah. Thatís a fair point. I have a pile of synths I bought used so I guess I overlook that.

Why I am a Champion (Feedback)

Paintball Guns > Tuition
Allerstern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 01:57 AM   #16 (permalink)
Post Whore

FWIW, by 'decent' I meant reliable, will interface with my software, and with the features I need--trigger pads, a few knobs, maybe a couple extras.
I mean, I can tell the difference between good and bad keys... mostly when they're side-by-side. I barely even need trigger sensitivity, just making my fingers not hate existing when I use it would be a good extra.
As long as they're actual keys, not those rollable touchpad novelties.
My MCB Feedback
My eBay Feedback
Moriearty Hobby Supply on eBay and Facebook.
Deus Machina is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Music