mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 12-02-2009, 02:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Ok, Last gun Question.

Ok so I'm nearly done looking.

And I bet your getting sick of my threads xD

What I'm really just looking for is a good semi-auto (I don't want to really maintain a eletronic, unless you know of one that's easily maintainable)

I have been looking at the Pilot.

Now, I'd like one that's pretty well known with barrels/parts, because my local shop sucks on parts and pretty much everything And some GOOD ON CO2/HPA(I hate filling)

I think I'm going to buy either of Ebay/Craigslist/my buddy, (been playing forever) need a good deal.

So I'm just wondering what guns are easily maintainable,Good on gas, and realiable.
BLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Make Me King

Like a spyder pilot?
Invest in a good 98c or A5. Nothing beats them for ease of use, maintenance, and consistency... IMO
Old 12-02-2009, 02:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticmonkey1 View Post
Like a spyder pilot?
Invest in a good 98c or A5. Nothing beats them for ease of use, maintenance, and consistency... IMO
Eh, not really my kind of style.
BLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
One Foot Less

Nothing at all wrong with a Spyder...as long as it is not one of those VS3 beasts.
Make sure and get a spring kit with it. If you shoot HPA, you will likely be able to find one optimal spring and leave it alone. If you shoot CO2, you will have to increase or reduce the rear spring tension (by swapping springs) according to the temp outside.

Keep the bolt clean, keep the stiker oring oiled, tighten all the screws on a regular basis and it will give you years of good service.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLink View Post
Ok so I'm nearly done looking.

And I bet your getting sick of my threads xD

What I'm really just looking for is a good semi-auto (I don't want to really maintain a eletronic, unless you know of one that's easily maintainable)

Now, I'd like one that's pretty well known with barrels/parts, because my local shop sucks on parts and pretty much everything And some GOOD ON CO2/HPA(I hate filling)

I think I'm going to buy either of Ebay/Craigslist/my buddy, (been playing forever) need a good deal.

So I'm just wondering what guns are easily maintainable,Good on gas, and realiable.
good semi-auto? but the pilot is electronic.

maintenance should be the same for all spyders though.

if you want easily maintainable and reliable, a tippmann is a better choice than a spyder. it has really simple parts like a spyder too, even though it may not look the way you like.

but the spyders aren't that far behind. i guess you'd have to choose based on what you personally like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkncat View Post
Nothing at all wrong with a Spyder...as long as it is not one of those VS3 beasts.
Make sure and get a spring kit with it. If you shoot HPA, you will likely be able to find one optimal spring and leave it alone. If you shoot CO2, you will have to increase or reduce the rear spring tension (by swapping springs) according to the temp outside.

Keep the bolt clean, keep the stiker oring oiled, tighten all the screws on a regular basis and it will give you years of good service.
actually, the new (08 onward) spyders are shortened so the old spring kits no longer work.

yeah spyders are smaller now, that means.

pile of poo, HARD MODE, automag pistol---S.P.E.W.II---What if this hurts me?---No, I'M sorry.---Semiautomatic Nelspot 007!---Decay of Nations 4
Camp Pendleton meetup 2010---Watch me fail at pump!---Clareball 2010 vid!---MCB Stock Class Meet!---HELMETCAM!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcandy1993 View Post
Before the first day Velcor said let there be Heinous and it was true. And then Heinous said "Let there be God" and it was true. And it was good

Last edited by heinous; 12-02-2009 at 02:43 AM.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Plays on the cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLink View Post

The Pilot is just as easy to maintain as a mech Spyder, aside from the occasional battery recharge. Pilots use a mechanical solenoid and all the electronic guts are in the trig frame. Not much to worry about as far as electronic components getting damaged through normal use.
Overall, I think the Pilot is a good choice.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
I see dead people

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjottawa View Post
what's your budget?

I'd recommend a used 68 classic automag to anyone looking at a mechanical semi-automatic.

68 automags used to be $1,000+ guns (probably $1,500 at today's prices). When electros came out, they destroyed the tournament mechanical semi-auto scene and now things like automags and autocockers can be had for next to nothing. Consider them high-end guns at low-end prices. Waaaay better than a spyder, a statement i will not argue here; just look in the agd section of this board for more details.
+1! Automags ftw!!
Old 12-02-2009, 11:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻)

CCM Fan
PPS Fan
my vote would be a classic mag. you cant go wrong.
Droop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
One Foot Less

The dsadvantages of owning a mag....

In stock classic form they perform quite dependably, but have a kind of heavy trigger and weigh a lot. In addition (and I don't care what any of you say) they don't perform really well on CO2.
The REAL problem will come in when you realize all the "upgrade" and aftermarket goodies out there. Before you know it, you will have two or three mags in various parts from having to get this that and the other, and you WILL have the sickness. You wallet will never be the same again.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
I see dead people

CCM Fan
Quote:
The dsadvantages of owning a mag....

In stock classic form they perform quite dependably, but have a kind of heavy trigger and weigh a lot. In addition (and I don't care what any of you say) they don't perform really well on CO2.
Blasphemer!! Actually, that one reason I suggested a steel HPA tank. Plus, some places (fields) charge one price for all day air and still charge per fill on CO2

Quote:
The REAL problem will come in when you realize all the "upgrade" and aftermarket goodies out there. Before you know it, you will have two or three mags in various parts from having to get this that and the other, and you WILL have the sickness. You wallet will never be the same again.
This is really the only disadvantage.

You'll get a classic and go, ya know, a .45 frame would be nice. So you get one. Then you say, a ULE body so I can use cocker barrels and it's centerfeed. Than you need a new rail to go with the ULE body. Oh, and who can forget the X-Valve?! Crap, I just built another mag and I still have this classic. Hmm, ya know what would look good on this classic, a .45 frame...

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport