mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 12-10-2009, 11:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

I need YOUR opinion...

I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right spot. If not please move this to where it's supposed to be.

Anyway, I guess I have been more behind the times than I thought...I hear WGP is out of business, a lot of the companies that were once big names are gone, and now I read that SmartParts is closing it's doors? What is happening to this great sport??? I know the economy is bad, but most of the fields in our area (DFW, TX) seem to be running strong every weekend.

Back on topic: I was wondering what is a good, mid-level marker now days? Used to be, someone could always count on an autococker or a mag being in the mix, but I dunno now. I had thought about building a cocker, but don't know if it's worth it now. Then, I considered trying to get into the Mag scene, but they are extremely pricey for a base model.

So, I'm wondering what is out there that I should consider. Any opinion would be appreciated.

Thanks
AK3lms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
BAZINGA PUNK!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to [MOOSE]

Brass and Wood Fan
Mid level? As what just rec play, tourney, Pump/stock class?
Long distance member of: Team Long Stroke (It's like a long distance relationship only better)
[MOOSE] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

There are still some of us cocker fans out there (check out customcockers.com) and there seems to be a good mag following still as well. I'd say put up some more details as to what you like and we can offer more specifics.

Q&A
- Do you care if it takes batteries? If you're ok with an electro, there's a giant "middle end" market out there.
- Into milsim? There's a big market for that as well.
- You want a mechanical semi? That's probably the most limited market anymore but there are some good used choices out there.
- If you're into pump, the market actually seems to be expanding and there are some really nice options right now (Palmers, CCM, CCI, RTR..etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by senghing27
ooops
Note: While I would love to take credit for his work, I am not associated with Mad Customs!
You can contact BigMatt-MadCustoms in his MCB forum
MaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

I guess I should have thought about those things first.

Well, I don't play tourney, so I guess rec-ball would be my thing. As of now, my two markers consist of an ICD Promaster w/ a few ups. It can throw some paint or $$$, however you want to look at it. I also have a Spyder Xtra that I modded to shoot like a dream. Low-pressure, low kick, very accurate with good paint.

I guess I'm looking for a project gun. I've never played stock class, but I would love to try it. I just don't know anyone who does or where to go to play. Seems like now days everyone wants to 100 bps and "bunker that sucka." I guess I want a good, reliable gun that I could play the gamut with. That is one reason I was looking towards a mag...they're supposed to be indestructible, pretty fast for a mech, and an all around good gun. Maybe I just have the itch for a project. Then again, getting shot out by the cockers last time out made me jealous for one.

I probably made that as clear as mud, but that's my reasoning behind looking for something new. I just don't want to dump a bunch of money into something that will be completely obsolete in a year or two. (Am I contradicting myself?). Oh, well. If you can make sense of all that, any opinions are appreciated.

I'm not particularly wanting an electro, but if mechs are fading out...
AK3lms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Serious Business

lol you should buy a splatmaster.
it would satisfy dumping a bunch of money (into 12 grams),
and being obsolete in a year or two.

but seriously.
nothing is more satisfying than to eliminate a guy with an electro with a plastic barrel from 1984.

B-17 feedback
B-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:35 AM   #6 (permalink)

Tippmann SL-II! reliable! or KP2 new. $150 range
As to where to play. Anywhere!
Play pump w/ the 100 bps Kids and One ball them!

Azodin Paintball KP
or
Azodin Paintball KP+ pump w/ auto!
or
Tippmann: Product Guide: SL68II

https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/d...ll-torque.html

Lohman446 -I have absolutely zero interest in "saving" your "sport". Your "sport" has destroyed my game.
cjottawa -Know what would make paintball affordable and get more people involved? SHOOTING LESS.

www.280paintball.com great place to play in K.C. Mo.

https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Instien'spaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Pro Gun Liberal

Send a message via AIM to BlueFish

Brass and Wood Fan
Kilt Club
For a nice midgrade semi, mech cockers can be found used for under $200 and the tipmann line is always a reliable way to go. If you want to check out stockclass/pump, a phantom is pretty hard to beat, too. Electros are evil, and therefore should be sacrificed to Velcor.
BlueFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:40 AM   #8 (permalink)

Yes the sport has changed a lot in the past 10 years, new players started wanting to shoot high rofs to compensate for lack of skill, autocockers stopped selling as much because electronic spyders etc. got cheap, and smart parts jumped into the low end market and then made some bad decisions that didnt set well with more experienced players. Of course this is my opinion of what happened, anyways if you want a project gun, I'd recommend picking up an old autococker body, pump kit, and start a sniper project. Its not stock class, but open class is a good way to go as well, and I think they have more options to customize.
barweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

Yeah, I'm putting in a vote for a mag. I just picked up one a few months ago and I'm a convert. Tried the Blazer thinking it was the be-all-end-all of high end mechs. I was just disappointed. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great. I like my mag a lot more, and mine is just a basic old 68 Automag from like 1995.

Mags are reliable, well-built, tanks. The newer X-Valve ones can rip. There is plenty of modifications for them. But even the old Classic Valves are still very good. Just make them happy and use compressed air.
I do custom 3D printing and design work. PM me for inquiries.

Mission Masters
My Feedback
Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
Pif
12g4L

Kilt Club
I'm going to side with everyone on the Automag team. I had the pleasure of getting 2 earlier in the year. One was 14+ years old and shot like a dream. It's a gas and go marker that you don't have to worry about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usagi Tetsu
Velcor is within all of us, you need not go looking for him. He sayeth, "wherever two or more of you are gathered, there shall I be." He is my solid bunker for me to hide behind from the incoming fire of mine enemies, He is the functioning regulator which keepeth my shots consistent, and He is my keen eye guiding my fire towards my hidden enemies. Yea, whosoever shall believeth in Him shall be guided by His right hand towards the flag, and whosoever denieth Him shall reside for all eternity in the Deadbox of Life.
Pif is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport