mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 01-24-2010, 09:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hey guys and girls

I'm thinking of starting playing paintball. Unfortunately, since I haven't played before I have no gear. Could someone be kind enough to tell me where to get some good gear that isn't too pricey? I'm a freshman college student so I don't have very much in the way of money. Anything would be helpful. Also, anyone who can tell me where a good place to go to paintball as a beginner would be great. Thanks much
wrwbeenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cyborg

First off, where are you located? That will help us help you. As for gear, just ask. Someone here probably has what you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flounder

I had to report your post

Quote:
Originally Posted by super-cameron View Post
There's a joke there somewhere...
Because that is funny on several levels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger[TG] View Post
that's not fair. if they are not smart enough, or have no knowledge of the ramifications of their stupidity, then they should pay the price.
super-cameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Give in to the Night

Location: Austin, capital of the greatest country in the world, Texas

Need to clarify a couple things before we can answer these

1st. What is your overall budget?
2nd Where are you located?
3rd What kind of paintball are you wanting to play (speedball, woodsball, scenario, pump)
4th Do you want new gear,or used?

Alrighty, so heres the spiel I give to new players. If you are interested in seriously getting into paintball, first spend cash on your playing gear (not marker setup). Find yourself a good set of goggles, comfortable playing gear, pack, tank, hopper ect. THEN go and get a marker. You can shoot any type of marker, but if you cant see/dont feel well playing, you might as well pack it in. Also, this hinges around your budget

As far as places to play, depends on where you are

As far as what to play, what interests you? Fast paced, fast guns style in speedball, creeping around in the woods in woodsball, playing with LOTS of people in scenario, or going against the grain and pumping against any electro or semi.

Do you care about getting NEW gear? It comes with warranty, will be fresh, yada yada. If that doesnt bother you, check the bst forums on here and other places, you will save a LOT of cash. For clothes, hoppers, and tanks, you can generally buy used. I personally would get packs and masks directly from a dealer.

Give a couple answers, and we can go from there. Feel free to pm me if you want

chopper_duke: You guys just don't understand how hard it is to take pictures from a dark closet and not wake the person up...

bring me a white rotor sale
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/m...ml#post1853123
noctem89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Nerd=Geek

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Step 1: Get a group together and rent gear your first time out.
Step 2: Have fun.

If you really had a great time then think of buying some gear.

Andry : )

Proud member of The Peacekeepers, UMSG JTF7, Rogue Cell #12 and CCABB

My Feedback Soft and Hard gear F/S! Got cigar tubes?
CrazyBoy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Shameless CCM convert

Before you do anything. Go out and rent some gear and tell us what you liked/disliked. Then we can help you out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Frag View Post
This is a common misconception. The marker in question is actually from a limited run that WGP produced to try using the little finger as the firing finger to promote digital ambidexterity. Unfortunately, the gravity inverter needed to feed paintballs was sold separately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokers
I play pump because I'm a masochistic bastard who gets his jollies from being outgunned but not outplayed.
ASKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
A Suffusion of Yellow

WELCOME! Both to the forum and the sport!

For a first marker, I highly and strongly recommend a mech Spyder. Simple. Cheap. Effective.
Don't get a first HPA tank until you know it's a sport you'll like. It's so much cheaper to rent a tank at your local field than to buy one. Rent= $5-10/day, unlimited fills. Buy= $85 + $5-10/day for fills. AND they're the same tank (average aluminum 48ci/3000psi).
You will probably be happier with a motorized hopper (start with a non-motorized, but as you grow into the sport, you will very quickly want a motorized). Don't buy it at wal-mart. Good used ones can be had for $30-40. If your friends are seasoned players, they will help you pick the gear YOU need. If you buy the gear someone wants you to just because it's the bestest/fastest/coolest, you'll spend entirely too much money.
Wal-mart = seasoned player's fair-weather friend, and new player's likely discontent.
Gloves (recommended, $5), mask, barrel swabs (recommended, 3/$8), Scott brand blue shop towels (automotive, $3/roll), athletic supporter (highly recommended, $9), neck protector (recommended, $5), and tank o-rings (aka: Spyder rebuild kits, $4/10pk) are on the generally approved list. Anything else, ask a friend.
Online = great IF you know what you're looking for, and/or asking for opinions of others.
Local shop = great for fondling potential (marker) interests, asking advice, and getting parts (or at least getting an idea for what you want).

Key:
Fear no gear. Any other player's gun does the exact same thing yours does, and shoots a ball at the same speed.
Keep an open mind. It's all a learning experience. Even pro players sucked when they started.
Know the rules and boundaries.
It's gonna hurt the muscles for awhile, unless you already run 3-5 miles on a regular basis.
The first 5-10 shots that hit you for the first 5-10 games you play are gonna hurt too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored383 View Post
your body is a poop gun . . . eating is how you reload
My feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...-feedback.html

Last edited by b-cuzz; 01-24-2010 at 10:23 PM.
b-cuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Shameless CCM convert

Yeah. Remember this.

Its gonna hurt like a Mofo. And you're going to get shot and overshot. Most newbies want it to not hurt at all so they put on 4 jackets and stay at home all game. If you don't want it to hurt, don't play paintball. I'm serious. It will hurt anyways, move the hell up, don't be a burden for your team, have fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Frag View Post
This is a common misconception. The marker in question is actually from a limited run that WGP produced to try using the little finger as the firing finger to promote digital ambidexterity. Unfortunately, the gravity inverter needed to feed paintballs was sold separately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokers
I play pump because I'm a masochistic bastard who gets his jollies from being outgunned but not outplayed.

Last edited by ASKA; 01-25-2010 at 11:45 AM.
ASKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
A Suffusion of Yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASKAJAIMES View Post
Yeah. Remember this.

Its gonna hurt like a motherphucker. And you're going to get shot and overshot. Most newbies want it to not hurt at all so they put on 4 jackets and stay at home all game. If you don't want it to hurt, don't play paintball. I'm serious. It will hurt anyways, move the hell up, don't be a burden for your team, have fun!
I almost fogot. Loose clothing is your friend, and a JT chest protector can be had at wal-mart if necessary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored383 View Post
your body is a poop gun . . . eating is how you reload
My feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...-feedback.html
b-cuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
Bitter Young Man

Don't buy a marker yet. In fact, don't buy anything yet. Go to a field, rent the gear, and play. See whether you like paintball enough to keep playing, which I'm pretty sure you will like.
HyePower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:11 AM   #10 (permalink)

thanks guys you've all given me some great advice and i'm sure i'll follow most of it. i live in north western alabama, around decatur and huntsville if anyone's from there but i do also live on campus at the university of alabama. um my budget is very tight since the only job i have due to class schedules is the one i had at my parents motorcycle accessory shop. i can usually get around $500-$800 over the summer so thats about it. i used to have a paintball area nearby but i think it shut down and i'm pretty sure i'd like to play woodsball or scenario. something about playing out a war scene sounds very fun. and i do realize its going to hurt very bad until i get used to it but thats fine with me. no pain no fun right? if anyone knows of anywhere around the decatur/huntsville area that does paintball i would be very appreciative to know of it and if any of you live near there and have a team and wouldnt mind me joining a match that would be awesome.
wrwbeenz is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport