mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 12-09-2010, 02:52 AM   #21 (permalink)
(V) (o,,,o) (V) WOOP WOOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by uv_halo View Post
Weren't the first pump handles DIY PVC adventures? If so, you can take your scar as a failure to innovate
I recall hearing the Delta Dogs caused quite a fuss using modified Nelspots, so I would assume that home-brew pump handles were on that list.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:32 AM   #22 (permalink)
Space Monkey 615 !!!

Kilt Club
Quote:
Weren't the first pump handles DIY PVC adventures? If so, you can take your scar as a failure to innovate
Back in 1986 I was 12 years old and playing on a friends farm and didn't know any better... Not until I was a little older and was able to play on a real field did I find out what a pump handle was...

WK2
WickedKlown2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:53 AM   #23 (permalink)
Marq's Man

How much did one of those pistols cost back in the day?

Algae's B/S/T Feedback:
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Algae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:06 PM   #24 (permalink)
Remembers 1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algae View Post
How much did one of those pistols cost back in the day?
From memory (and it was a long time ago! ), Nelspot 007's were were in the $175-$225CDN range, more if you wanted them kitted out with faux leather holster.....but there were none for sale. And that was a lot of money for a broke highschool aged kid, saving for University.

Back in '84-86 there were no dealers up here, virtually no pro-shops. The fields were taking all they could to keep their rental fleets running, so private sales were going to Buffalo. Pretty much out of reach.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:26 PM   #25 (permalink)
Banned

first pump gun I ever used was a bolt action 007, I've owned one for years after I feel in love with it
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:37 PM   #26 (permalink)
Sneaky Little Bastid #3

PPS Fan
Ah, but not quite a pump . . . bolt action and all.
PB Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:21 AM   #27 (permalink)
Brass Monkey Customs

Brass and Wood Fan
Kilt Club
Time to show off my age...

Quote:
The first pump handles on our local field were in 1986/7 and yes, they were generally homebrew PVC affairs. The first ones had a diagonal slot cut in them to make the bolt lock shut. Later, not much later, people realized that the slot and, consequently, the locking action were unnecessary, therefore the slot was simply converted to a hold that you screwed the pump handle through.

My original solution to the finger scarring issue was to install a longer bolt handle..

As to prices... The local "shop", in some guys garage in Manassas, Virginia, carried the Nelspot for $225. I decided there was enough interest among my friends, so I contacted Nelson company, and they put me in touch with a distributor. I had to purchase 10 markers, but they were only $150 each. I marked them up a little and got a couple of "free" Nelspots out of the deal. What remains of my Nelspot has a brass barrel kit on it and resides in my collection "interesting" markers.

Ty

Brass Monkey Customs

I am not longer accepting work. Sorry.

I do not have any tubing for sale, nor will I be restocking. Once more, sorry.

My feedback: MCB - eBay - AO
tymcneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:31 AM   #28 (permalink)

RTP Fan
So you sold them for 180$ each? Is my math right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymcneer View Post
Time to show off my age...

The first pump handles on our local field were in 1986/7 and yes, they were generally homebrew PVC affairs. The first ones had a diagonal slot cut in them to make the bolt lock shut. Later, not much later, people realized that the slot and, consequently, the locking action were unnecessary, therefore the slot was simply converted to a hold that you screwed the pump handle through.

My original solution to the finger scarring issue was to install a longer bolt handle..

As to prices... The local "shop", in some guys garage in Manassas, Virginia, carried the Nelspot for $225. I decided there was enough interest among my friends, so I contacted Nelson company, and they put me in touch with a distributor. I had to purchase 10 markers, but they were only $150 each. I marked them up a little and got a couple of "free" Nelspots out of the deal. What remains of my Nelspot has a brass barrel kit on it and resides in my collection "interesting" markers.

Ty
ironchef97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:03 AM   #29 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymcneer View Post

Ty
That's about what I was expecting. I never priced a "Nelson" at the time. I called a farm supply in El Paso (the closest place anyone knew of that had markers) from the Austin area. They said the "pistol" was $175 and the "rifle" was $250. I couldn't afford that at the time. Because of the "rifle" I've always assumed they were both sheridans, but I really didn't know.

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:58 AM   #30 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCI Phantom Fan
Later paintballers could be identified by "paintball thumb".
when everyone was shooting VM's, Pro-lite, or other older clunky semi's you would develop a callous on the knuckle right where the thumb meets the hand. I still got mine.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport