mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 12-09-2007, 08:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Can one actually reduce barrel sound?

I like the idea of a suppressor or something like that, but has anyone done any research in this?

I saw that a company has made a silencer of sorts, but after reading some reviews on it, most said that it was just cosmetic.

I really want a barrel that is VERY quiet
ceojetbroadband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 10:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
pump snob

The quietest thing I have found is a 16" AA on a sniper II operating at 300psi w/ a JAM bolt (to absorbs some of the blast).

any lower pressure marker w/ 14" or 16" heavily ported barrel should do well. Mann's test over on pbn has nice acoustic signature data for comparison.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Sh*t, I'm a mod?

Fan of EMR
Brass and Wood Fan
Any heavily ported barrel will reduce the sound signature on most painball guns (with the exception of a rainmaker and Vector... they are just loud internally)

AA's are a good bet, and tweaking the operating pressure to its most efficent will do good for it as well. Dont tune for low pressure, tune for efficency, so you are using just the right amount of air to get the ball where it needs to go.
Riverside Renegade Paintball / C.C. S.V.S. Plankowner - LPPC#6
TeamADW.com - Maker of Jeep ThingsOld Timer Feedback
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 10:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Keep an eye out or put out a WTB ad here for a TASO "rain cover."

They'll usually run about $50 and work extremely well. They come in 1" and 7/8" outer diameter models, so you will have to match a barrel to them. Keep in mind that the barrel must be completely unported.

I am using one in my signature picture.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 11:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

DO they actually work?
Old 12-09-2007, 11:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

to quote russc "work extremely well"
RealtorTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 12:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

By far the quietest barrel I've ever used(unenhanced) is the Smart Parts All American 16". I'm talking about the old original AA"s with the long control bore section and the glued on tip. If you can find an old one, they're usually pretty cheap and they shoot great.

Feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Mr. Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 12:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

do you have a few pictures of that?
Old 12-09-2007, 12:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceojetbroadband View Post
DO they actually work?
Sometimes when they say "Cosmetic" they are actuall real, but are trying to avoid trouble from the ATF. Sometimes they are entirely fake, and just for looks.

Some websites use very careful wording like "Raincover", and "Barrel extensions" to avoid to much attention.

Silencers are perfectly legal for paintguns, but the ATF regulates the use of firearm silencers. The ATF has ruled that if the paintball silencer could work on a real firearm, then it is therefor a firearm silencer, and subject to ATF regulations. (typical buearocracy).

I loved them in the late 80s, early 90s, and used all different types. The short answer is "yes", they can work very well, though how well they work depends on the design of the silencer, as well as the type of gun.

However, the style of modern play makes them harder to use. In the old days, I'd only fire a -SINGLE- supressed shot. And wait 10 seconds before shots. That way it was harder for the target to find my location. However, if your shooting 20 balls a second, supressed, they will eventually figure out your location, making the supressor a bit pointless.

Plus, fields have become so small. But, as mentioned above, a good alternative is simply a heavily ported barrel, with a low-pressure gun.

nick

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 12:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

Smart Parts All American 16'' barrel (shocker) - (eBay item 110194589663 end time Dec-16-07 16:34:52 PST)

I used to have the whole set. Black back was .689, grey back was .684 and the silver back was .691 or .693 . This was back in 1999 so you may have a tough time finding them now but they can be had.

Feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Mr. Furious is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport