mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 02-18-2016, 02:21 PM   #71 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

I've been shooting the Apex system since it was released. And the combination of the flatine plus the apex yields a longer flat shot than the flatline or apex alone.

I average about 130 feet "flat" with the MonsterSpin where the apex or flatline shoot about 80 to 100 feet flat by themselves.

The flatine is like shooting an apex set at 4 clicks.

Keys to both systems are slower than normal fps settings. For the flatline you want 270fps, for the apex 280 is the max setting you should run, any more than that and it causes issues.

I have corrupted a few others that now use the MonsterSpin, but they don't have youtube channels as popular as mine! But, they are out there.

It really is something to witness first hand as once players see what it can do they are shocked! It changes the game as you can reach out and eliminate players that were in the bounce range before.

I've been at big games where they the natural "lines" are drawn as players get comfortable in the bounce range and just shoot back and forth and I can eliminate the other players at those ranges.

footage from clowns vs zombies this past year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9DjOTE6CMo
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:10 PM   #72 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeEnterprise View Post
It really is something to witness first hand as once players see what it can do they are shocked!
Once they realize you have to shoot 10x as many balls to get the one to go where intended...they stop caring that you are shooting at them. Note, in that last video even, you have both systems set to 'up/down' and a majority of the shots were curving left/right...not up/down.

I tried to count the number of people you shot at. (note, every one of those people were getting paint breaking on their bunkers from the dozens of your teammates shooting at them, they were most definitely NOT in the 'safe' bounce-zone) Of the 15 or so, there was exactly ONE that possibly got hit by you. (using your video)

Anywho, imho, paint is the primary determinate factor in how consistent your shots are. If they are even the slightest bit oblong, all it takes is one to lay in the breach 'wrong' and bam...there goes your perfect spread.

Yes, science has shown, several times over, that backspin barrels/systems impart a 'flatter' trajectory for a given distance.

PS: This really made it to eight pages?
panhead4411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 12:55 AM   #73 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

The ball is flying at 280~fps, and also has a significant amount of spin when it leaves the barrel. This spin is an additional source of energy for the flight of the ball. It has the normal horizontal momentum to carry it, but also the influence of the spin from the flatline. There is more energy at play here, and a flatline barrel really does shoot further, period.

At it's furthest reaches it is easy to notice the inaccuracy of a paintball though. Just like you can shoot a one inch group at 5 yards and can barely hit a target at 15.

Flatline shooting is a different experience though, it's pretty hilarious to see the ball fly so differently. You can get weird curve shots by leaning the thing sideways.

PSA: To post direct images when using imgur or other hosting site, copy the "direct link" url in between these image tags [img]yoururlhere[/img]
Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 10:49 AM   #74 (permalink)

i like the noise paintballs make when they get shot out of a flatline, a loud buzzing sound, you can always tell.
chodeyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 12:25 PM   #75 (permalink)
aka FairLady

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
RTP Fan
I've actually considered doing this myself. it seems like the answer is yes , but would you say that going through this process produces noticeable (i guess the term would be significantly improved) results?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJOttawa View Post
Chiming in here:

When I played, I had a RadarChron ROF to verify speed. (it did min-max spread).

I used to measure paint across two axis (seam and "not seam") and sort by size. I had a 2nd generation Hammerhead paint gauge and the subsequent Redux gauge, both verified with a digital micrometer.

Higher end paint was more consistent. (X-Ball Gold, Tournament Hellfire, c.2006-2007)

I could get +/-3fps easy, using paint that I'd sorted by size, with either of these two markers, running anti-siphon CO2:
  • double-stabilized 2k Blazer BZ2581
  • Classic Automag with a single stabilizer

Most people aren't as savantish about paint as I was though. (ask Mar and the FD crew... they'd watch me sorting my paint into Zip-Locs)
I still wasn't pleased with accuracy at longer ranges and have largely left the sport as a result.
300z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 02:37 PM   #76 (permalink)
Mar
Carter's wife's boyfriend

Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
(ask Mar and the FD crew... they'd watch me sorting my paint into Zip-Locs)
I solemnly affirm to tell the truth and the whole truth.

yes.

he spent a lot of time in staging playing with and measuring his balls.

a lot.

(edit: second in time only to assembling/disassembling his Moulinex (nee: reDux)
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 03:21 PM   #77 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

I've seriously considered making a ramp, which would let each paintball from a bag roll down the ramp with a channel to keep them in the middle, then when it hits the bottom let the sides drop off, and the paint that makes it through this device would be perfectly round, while the dimpled or mis-shapped paint would fall off the left or the right. Put bags at each side, and at the bottom of the device, perfect paint would go into the final bag, sell off the other two bags of crappy paint...

I even modeled one up with a matchbox car track, and it worked... good paint would stay on the flat area, while paint with any inconsistencies would fall off the left or right... It was a hassle though as it worked at home but setting it up at a field would be a hassle.
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 03:58 PM   #78 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Quote:
Chiming in here:

When I played, I had a RadarChron ROF to verify speed. (it did min-max spread).

I used to measure paint across two axis (seam and "not seam") and sort by size. I had a 2nd generation Hammerhead paint gauge and the subsequent Redux gauge, both verified with a digital micrometer.

Higher end paint was more consistent. (X-Ball Gold, Tournament Hellfire, c.2006-2007)

I could get +/-5fps easy, using paint that I'd sorted by size, with either of these two markers, running anti-siphon CO2:
  • double-stabilized 2k Blazer BZ2581
  • Classic Automag with a single stabilizer

Oh, and I used to weigh paint with a digital grain scale too.

Hrm. Maybe it's not so easy to get that level of consistency. Most people aren't as savantish about paint as I was. (ask Mar and the FD crew... they'd watch me sorting my paint into Zip-Locs)

I still wasn't pleased with accuracy and the lack FirstStrike getting wide acceptance has largely made me give up on the sport. Airsoft is looking kind of fun, without the hassle of having to wash paint out of my hair.
Did you collect 20+ shots and then crunch them for Standard Deviation? I believe the RadarChron ROF only does min-max FPS and average for a group.

I fully agree on your points about paint. Then, to go through all that work and still end up with something that's still not tangibly better in regards to accuracy. The most significant accuracy improvements I've ever seen for regular paintballs were two things (I don't recall the techniques being combined):

Manually smoothing (sanding) seams- This seamed to reduce the impact of spinning
Single shot loading them into a barrel with a papertowel sabot- this seemed to reduce/eliminate the spinning altogether.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
First strike rounds punish lazy people. Don't be lazy and you won't have problems with first strikes.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 12:46 AM   #79 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

I get best accuracy by shooting 200 balls as fast as possible. guaranteed to hit the intended area.

For stock class I'd sort too.

Really to me the limitations of the paint ball are enjoyable. Air soft is even worse, just spray rapid firing for minutes at a time drilling a dudes foot waiting for him to notice and call himself out.

PSA: To post direct images when using imgur or other hosting site, copy the "direct link" url in between these image tags [img]yoururlhere[/img]
Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport