mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 04-29-2016, 01:21 PM   #21 (permalink)

I got a pretty sweet video of me getting shot in the adams apple...Mid speech...
It sucked then, but I knew how funny it was.
scribbleheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:50 PM   #22 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbylocal433 View Post
If your playing a walk-on game and there is a "Team" playing, dont be afraid to ask them to split up. We get a few teams(one in particular) that will not split, this is "Crap" imo. As a team, spanking(overshooting) new and walk-ons makes for a miserable day and most new/rec players will not come back. Walk-on games are not Tourny's and should be fun, not 6 guys wasting everyone and talking smack the whole time.
If the refs don't fix this **** automatically you are going to a bad field

If the refs are all young and unassertive it's also a red flag about the field.

Last edited by Prepaid Lenin; 05-02-2016 at 10:55 PM.
Prepaid Lenin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 04:17 PM   #23 (permalink)
Chuck E Ducky

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
I see under locaton your in the 518 is that NY by chance?

If so check out "518 paintball" on facebook. It will keep you updated on events in your area. There are a few select groups that play under the 518 you can meet up with that will be more then happy to help you with whatever it is you need.
Mr Idiot Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 01:08 PM   #24 (permalink)
Post Whore

Having the knowledge to assess the quality of a field is pretty important for new players. I say this as someone who got excited about paintball on the internet back in high school and then went out to play at a field run by the lowest common denominator.

Things to look out for:

-Fields that are wide open in the middle.

This punishes people for wanting to move and incentivizes people to hang back and shoot a lot. A badly constructed field like this can lead to a lot of overshooting, and boring static game play. If the biggest pieces of cover are near the center of the field this is usually a good sign.

-Rental Gear that's clean.

Even if you aren't renting, the quality of rental gear at a field can tell you a lot about how its run. If the rental 98's all have old paint caked in the cracks and the rental lenses are lifted from a metro game, that can tell you a lot about how the management values the experience for their renters and players. Dirt is much more important to look out for than the finish on rental guns, most rentals that do get cleaned are scrubbed so often that they'll appear quite worn.

-Chronographs

This is mostly for people who've rented only, and might not have interacted with a chrony range yet. If the refs aren't witnessing people chrony in at the range, and if they aren't doing spot checks during the day at random this can also be a bad sign. Many fields require you to tag your gun after they have witnessed it shooting under the speed limit. A field that is lax for enforcing speeds opens itself up to issues with bad hits and bad players.

-Don't choose a home field solely for price reasons.

Speaking as someone who made this mistake in the past, you should absolutely be looking for a field that is run by passionate people, has a good community, and has well constructed fields first over cheap prices. My enjoyment on the game has definitely impinged on finding these things a lot more than any memories of saving a little money could have.

Things to not look out for:

-Road quality on the way in.

No matter how rutted and bumpy the road in is, it doesn't really have a bearing on the field. I've seen great and awful fields both at the end of very treacherous muddy roads.

Last edited by Prepaid Lenin; 05-04-2016 at 01:13 PM.
Prepaid Lenin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 01:15 PM   #25 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Building off of Prepaid Lenin, if you plan on buying a gun instead of renting for the rest of your paintball experience, buy the one YOU like. You don't have to buy the same model as the rental gun just because it's the only one you've played with. A good thing to do is try before you buy. Now, this isn't always possible, but generally if you've found a good field with a good community you won't find anyone hesitating to lend you their gun for a game to show you how much better it is than the other guy's.

More on that, you don't need to spend $1200 on a speedball gun because that's what everyone else has. If you're playing at a recreational level, there's nothing wrong with a good old Tippmann 98.
fireburns44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:28 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
I see under locaton your in the 518 is that NY by chance?
If so check out "518 paintball" on facebook. It will keep you updated on events in your area. There are a few select groups that play under the 518 you can meet up with that will be more then happy to help you with whatever it is you need.
I am indeed in NY, CCZ in Troy is where I normally play at. 518 Paintball's page seems to have been defunct for some time sadly.
sandor@thezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:34 PM   #27 (permalink)
Chuck E Ducky

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandor@thezoo View Post
I am indeed in NY, CCZ in Troy is where I normally play at. 518 Paintball's page seems to have been defunct for some time sadly.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/216479331713472/
Mr Idiot Box is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport