mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 03-19-2016, 10:07 AM   #31 (permalink)
Stock class=the only way

theres a guy selling bt combats for under $50 ppled and shipped, i say pick one up and have fun with it if you wanna tinker and mess around a bit
psycho91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:26 PM   #32 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

There is a gun called a tippmann 98 and 98 custom. I'd buy one of those. Just needs a barrel, don't buy anything else for it.

PSA: To post direct images when using imgur or other hosting site, copy the "direct link" url in between these image tags [img]yoururlhere[/img]
Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 12:07 AM   #33 (permalink)
Tinker Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duzer View Post
Thanks, that's all I was really asking for. Not that the advice isn't helpful. Just didn't answer my question much.
Hopefully it's not too late for advice on this. Sounds like most of the advice you've been getting is assuming you're ready to become a field regular or weekend warrior, which doesn't look like you're ready for just yet.

I'll assume you have no idea when your next pb outing will be, and just enough money for a cheap marker setup to mess around with around until your friends eventually plan an outing.

My suggestion? I say stay away from tippmanns and spyders. I know i'm stepping on toes here, I know, hear me out. Skip this part if you just want to see my gun recommendation. If you get bit by the "PB bug" as i call it, you'll probably want to tinker a little after going a few months without a game. Now, an affordable spyder on ebay might still be a from an era when the company (Kingman) specifically designed their markers to discourage performance upgrades from any other company but their own for the most part. Meanwhile, there was no wealth of upgrades to follow that strategy up with so...

A standard Tippmann 98 custom is going to be insanely reliable. It will shoot, recock, and shoot again both before and after the apocalypse. But investing more into it could potentially leave you with a heavier, bulkier, clumsier gun that doesn't perform any better than the day you bought it. Let alone compared to your peers who might've went with something different. Available upgrades are typically more milsim cosmetics than anything.

I say get an Azodin kaos. It functions like a mechanical spyder, but basically you can upgrade it to your heart's content. Once you get a couple of field games under your belt, in the future you might want to change the barrel, feedneck, bolt, ASA, regulator etc. Maybe even change the macroline/fittings. And when you decide to invest in something higher than entry level, you'll have a backup marker worth playing with again. hope this helps.

(I do welcome any corrections/criticisms from the mcb community, btw. Feel free to come at me bro if you disagree with something)
Tachiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 01:00 AM   #34 (permalink)
Post Whore

PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachiro View Post
Hopefully it's not too late for advice on this. Sounds like most of the advice you've been getting is assuming you're ready to become a field regular or weekend warrior, which doesn't look like you're ready for just yet.

I'll assume you have no idea when your next pb outing will be, and just enough money for a cheap marker setup to mess around with around until your friends eventually plan an outing.

My suggestion? I say stay away from tippmanns and spyders. I know i'm stepping on toes here, I know, hear me out. Skip this part if you just want to see my gun recommendation. If you get bit by the "PB bug" as i call it, you'll probably want to tinker a little after going a few months without a game. Now, an affordable spyder on ebay might still be a from an era when the company (Kingman) specifically designed their markers to discourage performance upgrades from any other company but their own for the most part. Meanwhile, there was no wealth of upgrades to follow that strategy up with so...

A standard Tippmann 98 custom is going to be insanely reliable. It will shoot, recock, and shoot again both before and after the apocalypse. But investing more into it could potentially leave you with a heavier, bulkier, clumsier gun that doesn't perform any better than the day you bought it. Let alone compared to your peers who might've went with something different. Available upgrades are typically more milsim cosmetics than anything.

I say get an Azodin kaos. It functions like a mechanical spyder, but basically you can upgrade it to your heart's content. Once you get a couple of field games under your belt, in the future you might want to change the barrel, feedneck, bolt, ASA, regulator etc. Maybe even change the macroline/fittings. And when you decide to invest in something higher than entry level, you'll have a backup marker worth playing with again. hope this helps.

https://oi63.tinypic.com/11tq3rl.jpg

(I do welcome any corrections/criticisms from the mcb community, btw. Feel free to come at me bro if you disagree with something)
when i say a tippmmann 98 or bt or a5 i do agree with you can spent countless amounts on them. but really can any upgrade (any marker) per dollar spent ever be justified. if you spend $x you get %x more kinda deal. i new that when i got an orange bolt for my 98 ($40) i may only see like a 1% more efficiency but hey i can say i have an orange bolt. yea there are some upgrades that can make a differences but its hard to pick them out of a crowed when theres like 15 other clones of then all saying the same thing. pick me im 2x better then x brand and so on.
thrasher_565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:11 AM   #35 (permalink)
Tinker Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasher_565 View Post
when i say a tippmmann 98 or bt or a5 i do agree with you can spent countless amounts on them. but really can any upgrade (any marker) per dollar spent ever be justified. if you spend $x you get %x more kinda deal. i new that when i got an orange bolt for my 98 ($40) i may only see like a 1% more efficiency but hey i can say i have an orange bolt. yea there are some upgrades that can make a differences but its hard to pick them out of a crowed when theres like 15 other clones of then all saying the same thing. pick me im 2x better then x brand and so on.
Yeaaaa, you could sorta make that case with basic upgrades-especially if you're just starting out and can't tell what would be worth the money. But man F!@#&$ that, if a new 98c is still using that ancient threading (the kind that eliminates 90% of the barrel selection on any pb site unless you can get an adapter) instead of the industry standard cocker threading, I'll pass. Then when you get the barrel, it adds so much length to the gun because of its design, now you have a gun that's as tall as a kindergartener.

Now, you put a new barrel (some smaller bore) on a kaos and might notice you're shooting hotter on the chronograph and closer to the max 280 feet per second that they allow on the field. Or you might even have to turn down the velocity to get back down to 280ish. That could get you a couple more consistent shots before your tank runs out of air. Pow! your gun is a pinch more efficient than before. Then you can put that same barrel on another gun in the future.
Tachiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 10:26 AM   #36 (permalink)
Stock class=the only way

I like tachiro's choice, I always forget about azodin
psycho91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 04:59 PM   #37 (permalink)
Shoots First

I'd suggest an old lower-end spool like the Ion, Vibe, eNMEy, or eXTCy. They're cheap, easy to find for sale, easy to maintain, easy to upgrade, lighter than a Tippmann, and I personally prefer spools to stack tube blow backs like Spyders and their clones.

I bought a Vibe for a loaner probably 3 years ago for like $40 that was better than my Tippmann 98 in every possible way.

redthirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 11:17 PM   #38 (permalink)
Post Whore

PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachiro View Post
Yeaaaa, you could sorta make that case with basic upgrades-especially if you're just starting out and can't tell what would be worth the money. But man F!@#&$ that, if a new 98c is still using that ancient threading (the kind that eliminates 90% of the barrel selection on any pb site unless you can get an adapter) instead of the industry standard cocker threading, I'll pass. Then when you get the barrel, it adds so much length to the gun because of its design, now you have a gun that's as tall as a kindergartener.

Now, you put a new barrel (some smaller bore) on a kaos and might notice you're shooting hotter on the chronograph and closer to the max 280 feet per second that they allow on the field. Or you might even have to turn down the velocity to get back down to 280ish. That could get you a couple more consistent shots before your tank runs out of air. Pow! your gun is a pinch more efficient than before. Then you can put that same barrel on another gun in the future.
you no that the bt and a5 both you can change the treads and others tippmans you can do the same. but anyway. (my a5 has ac threads) and yes paint to barrel mach will get you a little bit more efficiency. yes the kaos is smaller and lighter and what what i read is pretty good but you cant make it like like a aka 47 or an m41 and you cant add a stock (unless its asa stock ) cant use any sights red dots or scopes ether. both have pros and cons.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:24 PM   #39 (permalink)
Post Whore

PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by redthirst View Post
I'd suggest an old lower-end spool like the Ion, Vibe, eNMEy, or eXTCy. They're cheap, easy to find for sale, easy to maintain, easy to upgrade, lighter than a Tippmann, and I personally prefer spools to stack tube blow backs like Spyders and their clones.

I bought a Vibe for a loaner probably 3 years ago for like $40 that was better than my Tippmann 98 in every possible way.
ya an ion is pretty hard to beat but its not noob friendly (when you rip off your battery leads you no what i mean) i would suggest if they been playing for a bit and want to shoor more paint for cheap then and ion would be a grate start. but the eNMEy would be more noob friendly.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport