mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 05-09-2016, 03:19 AM   #11 (permalink)

Theyre right. Dont buy a cronus. If you must buy a gun like that then I suggest just getting a used A5 or 98 Custom and spending the rest of the money on a good mask. A **** mask will make your gaming miserable. A proper mask makes all the difference.

If you only have $170 to spend then dont buy anything new. Tippmann stuff is pretty basic and bombproof, used is fine.

TLDR Good mask first, spend the remainder on a basic but solid gun.
Cielmerlion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:42 AM   #12 (permalink)
Not Addicted

CCM Fan
It's hard to listen but they're right. A good mask makes a huge difference. A JT mask with a thermal lense is cheap and comfortable. I'd go for a Gog eNMey next over a tippmann and then a good barrel

My feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
ArmyOfOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:26 AM   #13 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyOfOne View Post
It's hard to listen but they're right. A good mask makes a huge difference. A JT mask with a thermal lense is cheap and comfortable. I'd go for a Gog eNMey next over a tippmann and then a good barrel
Second this for a quality mech. After you get a few markers through you, then look towards the classics. Tend to be more upkeep and costlier to keep in pristine condition, but solid and a lot more fun than the new stuff. Another good, cheap used mech would be a Trilogy Autococker. Can be found for $50 sometimes, good aftermarket for them, dependable and idiot proof AC. Also can be pumped if you decide to go that route. Granted, costlier to repair than an eNMey, and you might have to find someone who can time it, or learn how if it ever gets out of time.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:40 AM   #14 (permalink)
JKR
AKA: Wraith

After a mask and gun, look for a Proto Primo hopper. It is the best non-motorized hopper you will find and is around $15.

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company."
-- George Washington

Feedback
JKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:21 AM   #15 (permalink)
Rec Poster

So basically, I should buy a good thermal lense mask first, then look at guns/barrels etc.?
DexavioR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:26 AM   #16 (permalink)
MCB Member

I haven't seen a recent version, but the JT invader did not qualify as a "good mask" when it came out. Absolutely terrible ventilation. Don't just look at mask brands but models too.

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:36 AM   #17 (permalink)
Rec Poster

How about I buy a JT thermal mask then the kit? It's a pretty good deal for the hopper and CO2 tank together, and it comes with some pods
DexavioR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:39 AM   #18 (permalink)
Post Whore

I missed this last time, but that package you linked comes with a 20oz co2 tank instead of an air tank. Co2 is older technology than air tanks. In cold weather, co2 will have lower velocity and cause more wear on the plastic seals inside of the gun. In hot weather co2 can cause your velocity to spike up to dangerous levels, especially if you chronographed in the shade that morning when it was cooler.

More importantly for you though, filling up co2 tanks isn't free. Air usually is. I don't think any fields in my area charge for air tank fills. Air systems just use ambient air thats been run through a compressor. You'll end up with more consistent velocity, which will translate into better accuracy for you. The seals in your gun will also last longer, except for the tank orings which break pretty often but are a 5 cent fix.

Also if you're willing to buy used, you can get killer deals on guns compared to store pricing. There are reams of sub 60 dollar guns on craigslist or the internet that are much better starters than that one.

Basically, that package gives you very little value in any way. The mask is one out of five star garbage, it has a co2 tank that will actively cost you money later, and there are a lot more economical and effective guns available in your price range.
Prepaid Lenin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:40 AM   #19 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexavioR View Post
How about I buy a JT thermal mask then the kit?
JT thermals own, but getting the lens out is an ordeal. I find it makes me appreciate how much its never going to fail but thats just me.
Prepaid Lenin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:06 PM   #20 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prepaid Lenin View Post
I missed this last time, but that package you linked comes with a 20oz co2 tank instead of an air tank. Co2 is older technology than air tanks. In cold weather, co2 will have lower velocity and cause more wear on the plastic seals inside of the gun. In hot weather co2 can cause your velocity to spike up to dangerous levels, especially if you chronographed in the shade that morning when it was cooler.

More importantly for you though, filling up co2 tanks isn't free. Air usually is. I don't think any fields in my area charge for air tank fills. Air systems just use ambient air thats been run through a compressor. You'll end up with more consistent velocity, which will translate into better accuracy for you. The seals in your gun will also last longer, except for the tank orings which break pretty often but are a 5 cent fix.

Also if you're willing to buy used, you can get killer deals on guns compared to store pricing. There are reams of sub 60 dollar guns on craigslist or the internet that are much better starters than that one.

Basically, that package gives you very little value in any way. The mask is one out of five star garbage, it has a co2 tank that will actively cost you money later, and there are a lot more economical and effective guns available in your price range.
To add to this: I have seen fields not doing CO2 refills as a whole. It's just too costly to buy the tanks and gear, when they could buy a very nice compressor and cater to majority of their customers.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport