mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 05-09-2016, 01:46 PM   #21 (permalink)

Absolutely get the mask first! It doesn't matter if you have a $1500 marker if you can't see.

After that, buy a used gun. You'll save money and be able to buy a better gun than you would be able to get new. Depending on what kind of play style you might like, there are tons of options for your first gun. A Gog eNMEy is a great choice. A used Tippmann A5 isn't bad at all.
humancarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 02:57 PM   #22 (permalink)
Rec Poster

My field has both HPA and CO2, both are free refills.

And I'm pretty sure a gog emney is a .50 calibre, I only play .68, and I want a tactical-y looking marker too.

EDIT: Already looked on my local classifields, there are hardly any paintball things there.
(The ones that are there are overpriced and/or for tourney/speedball play)

Last edited by DexavioR; 05-09-2016 at 03:01 PM.
DexavioR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 03:21 PM   #23 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Is ebay a good place to buy used markers? I know to make sure they work, and the seller has 100% positive rating. I found a tippmann alpha black tactical edition for 80 bucks with a hopper. Is this and a decent mask bought separately good?
DexavioR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 03:38 PM   #24 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to CLstevo-o

CCM Fan
the emney is convertible to both .50 & .68 so it is your preference. get your mask, and think am i going to buy a marker as a beginner just to buy another one in a year or buy on that i can start with and upgrade $5 to $10 bucks at a time. look at the sales here and learn more about what you think you like. i think you would like the gog or sp tactical lines sp1, gog1, sp8 or any tippman in your budget there all about the same inside, older models are more reliable in my book.

don't break the bank and first and foremost play safe and have fun
CLstevo-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 03:46 PM   #25 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to CLstevo-o

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexavioR View Post
Is ebay a good place to buy used markers? I know to make sure they work, and the seller has 100% positive rating. I found a tippmann alpha black tactical edition for 80 bucks with a hopper. Is this and a decent mask bought separately good?

if the tippmann does not work tippmann will fix it. you only pay shipping. that is a good deal. just remember a alpha black is the same marker on the inside as the 98 custom only difference is shape of the body ( same exact internal parts ) it's a fun woods ball marker and simple to work on. ( clean your floor b-4 opening the clam shell or you might loose a spring or two.)
CLstevo-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:05 PM   #26 (permalink)
Corpses Eaten: 0

Fan of EMR
The best place to buy used paintball gear is this very website.

The day I tried to live
I wallowed in the blood and mud with All the other pigs
Singing One more time around
Might do it
One more time around
Might make it

Soundgarden
RIP Mr. Cornell. thank you.

My Feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...3932#post13932
Chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:20 PM   #27 (permalink)
Not Addicted

CCM Fan
If you go Tippmann get a used A5. They're the same internally as most of the other tippmann models but without the extra bulk and the grip frame is separate so they're much easier to take apart. They've also got the cyclone feed which is is a great mech loader and you won't have to buy a force feed hopper.

My feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
ArmyOfOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:01 PM   #28 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexavioR View Post
My field has both HPA and CO2, both are free refills.
I would guess then that your area doesn't see a lot of play much below 50F? You can play with CO2 when it is cold, but it is easier to get HPA and just worry about cold o-rings, if anything. A5s in cold weather on CO2 tend to "beat down", when they fail to recock and cycle until you stop them or they run out of gas.

Also, CO2 fills take some skill. Some places claim to offer CO2, but "the guy" may not be around and/or he can't find the "thing" for filling. I've seen some that are just silly and we put away our CO2 bottles and got out something else like 12gs or HPA markers. Make sure your usual field does regular fills with a scale.

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:39 PM   #29 (permalink)
Rec Poster

The Cronus isn't that bad lol, just isn't as upgradable as the other blowback Tippmanns. It works exactly the same though. I got one for my son's first marker, along with an HPA tank, ok it was a 48ci steely, but still, not bad for 60 bucks.
It shoots just fine, and will make fine back up marker once you decide to get something else, and we all know that is half the fun. Didn't we all start with hunks of junk anyway?
garyfu70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:55 PM   #30 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfu70 View Post
Didn't we all start with hunks of junk anyway?
Heavily modded Spyder Esprit. so yeah.

The Cronus isn't bad, but it is what it is. If you want serious woodsball, you can go magfed or a SP8 for futuristic tactical marker. For recball, a eNMey is great, which is why everyone keeps recommending them. Grab one, a used 68/45 or a 48/3k steely if you want to be really cheap, and a Proto or Valken hopper, and that should last you at least a year, if not longer. The Proto or Valken hopper will work for any other recball marker you get, same with the tank (unless you go magfed). If you really want to play for cheap, buy a used Phantom (either stock class or open class) or a Kingman Hammer, and use either a 13/3k tank or 12ies. Stock class could get you playing for less than $10/day in paint, and if you go with a 13ci tank, and your field does free air with entry, then nothing extra. If you use 12ies, less than 10 a day, buy in bulk, comes out to less than $4/day.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport