mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 08-14-2016, 01:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Literally Born Yesterday

So paintball has always been something I wanted to get into but I never got around to it. It is honestly so much more than u expected but I have a few questions. What is a good starting gun? Is there anything important to know about modding guns? What brands of paintballs are good? And anything else a beginner should know about the sport, like perhaps the rules? I literally know nothing so any information is much appreciated.
An Orange Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 01:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Keeper of souls of bees

Where do you live? Find a well run rental field and try the sport. This will let you figure out how you like to play. From there you can work on types of equipment. Find a decent prod hop and try on every made they have until you find one that fits well and is comfortable. Expensive is not always better when it comes to masks. Proper fit and comfort is very important. Once you have a style of play and a mask you like then you can start shopping for a marker to buy. There is no need to rush into it. Rarely will you get back the money you spent on something so buying something you end up not liking is basically a waste of money.
No one is judge/jury/executioner here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger[TG] View Post
I must have missed that memo

Feedback

Kinda Loves DPrekel
The Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 01:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flounder View Post
Where do you live? Find a well run rental field and try the sport. This will let you figure out how you like to play. From there you can work on types of equipment. Find a decent prod hop and try on every made they have until you find one that fits well and is comfortable. Expensive is not always better when it comes to masks. Proper fit and comfort is very important. Once you have a style of play and a mask you like then you can start shopping for a marker to buy. There is no need to rush into it. Rarely will you get back the money you spent on something so buying something you end up not liking is basically a waste of money.

I'm in Omaha NE now, what's a prod hop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
An Orange Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 01:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Orange Steel View Post
I'm in Omaha NE now, what's a prod hop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think he meant pro-shop
aznfknpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 01:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Chuck E Ducky

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
So paintball has always been something I wanted to get into but I never got around to it. It is honestly so much more than u expected but I have a few questions. What is a good starting gun? Is there anything important to know about modding guns? What brands of paintballs are good? And anything else a beginner should know about the sport, like perhaps the rules? I literally know nothing so any information is much appreciated.
#1 thing to invest in first is a good mask with a dual pane lens. Spend the money get the best one you can afford that fits your face. Try them all on.

For paint; Learn to shoot less and buy the best paint available. This is not always the most expensive. Round paintballs are the best. Look for paint that dose not have dimples. This will help with accuracy and the paint will fly true. Paint is location dependent. Good paint by me may have been shipped and stored improperly to you. Whats on the box is not always what's in the bags. Look at the paint; is it round? No dimples? Seams look all funky? Is the paint oily? Dose it look like its been sitting around for a long time? Fresh round paint is the best! Some fields you don't have options and have to use field paint. Hopefully they supply good paint. (FPO= Field Paint Only)

As for a beginner marker its hard to say there are a ton of options out their find one that is in your budget and style of play. (rec, woods, tournament, pump, mag fed) your style may change so will how you carry paint and how much you carry. My suggestion is get a good mask and play with a rental for a while see what you like and what you don't like about that marker. Look at what others are using around you. Most paintball players are pretty cool about letting you try stuff out if you show interest. Then decide what you want.

Only thing I would try and stay away from is "upgrades" a lot of new players get in this rabbit hole of upgrades. It gets expensive. If you find yourself spending more on "upgrades" then the marker cost its time to find a marker that fits your play style better. It's best and cheaper to find what you need out of the box.

Last edited by Mr Idiot Box; 08-14-2016 at 02:01 PM.
Mr Idiot Box is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Fubarius Send a message via Yahoo to Fubarius

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Idiot Box View Post
#1 thing to invest in first is a good mask with a dual pane lens. Spend the money get the best one you can afford that fits your face. Try them all on.
Do remember that "best" is not the same as "most expensive". One most mask brands I tend to find the second most expensive masks the most comfortable. The popular trend is these ultra-low profile jobs that hug the face tight, so they tend to be the most expensive, but I find them rather uncomfortable.

Quote:
Only thing I would try and stay away from is "upgrades" a lot of new players get in this rabbit hole of upgrades. It gets expensive. If you find yourself spending more on "upgrades" then the marker cost its time to find a marker that fits your play style better. It's best and cheaper to find what you need out of the box.
Completely disagree. Might be cheaper (until you fall down the one up rabbit hole and end up with a $1500 gun when all you really wanted was a $150 gun with a better barrel and ASA), but not always better. Some of my favorite setups were ones that were impossible to acquire with out literally building them yourself out of upgraded parts.

Nunquam emere quid potes facere
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Never been to either but here are a couple fields/pro-shops in the Omaha area.
HOME
Mad Cow Paintball - Louisville, NE - (402)234-2024

I can not stress enough, do not buy anything until you play a time or two. Some people think they will love paintball but find out it really is not something they enjoy, so no sense wasting time and money on buying stuff until you are sure it is what you want to do.

Go with some friends even if they know nothing about it. Nothing more fun then experiencing paintball the first time with some friends. It also helps it from becoming intimidating. On top of that nothing like bragging rights from shooting a friend

Like already said, if you buy anything invest in a good in a dual paned/thermal lensed paintball mask. Good ones tend to be north of $60 a mask but are work every cent compared to the cheaper ones. Nothing worse then not being able to see because the lens fogs up.

Find someone local with experience and/or equipment and get them to take you. Having someone to show you the ropes you know helps.

Don't worry about cammo or specialty clothing, just go with something that is comfortable and protective that you will not be upset if you damage or stain. Jeans and a long sleeve shirt with hiking shows or boots will serve you well.

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

My Pyre #PY008 RF Oak Grendel's Feedback on MCB Pyre Serial Number List
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 09:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
PPS Fan
Ask around you will probably find someone that already plays.
Go to the field listed see if they let you try a gun at the Chronograph / target range.
If your lucky and find a friend or make a new one that plays at this field you are probably set with his extra gear.
You find guys that play a lot have multiple Guns sometimes just for a friend to join them.
You might even ask the owner to let you attend a safety meeting prior to one of the games.
The most important part you can learn is the on and off field safety.
If you are not around Guns real or paintball type almost all accidents such as the discharge of your marker in "safe" area has the most real consequences for a eye injury.
This is the reason the other posters stress buying a high quality and good fitting mask before a gun.
Keeping your mask on no matter what, will keep your eyes and face safe.
If it's comfortable and not fogging like most rental masks do that get a ton of use, then you will be less likely to raise, lift or just take it off in the middle of a game.

So if you read between the lines here it's not necessarily the most expensive but what fits you the best and most all the higher then rental quality masks are anti-fog.
paintslinger16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
And anything else a beginner should know about the sport, like perhaps the rules?
The rules can vary a lot between fields.

The base game usually involves 2 teams, that need to eliminate each other or complete an objective. An elimination usually involves hitting a player with a paintball and having it break on them.

Some fields will count hits on your gun as an elimination, some don't. Some fields have mandatory "surrender" distances that restrict players from shooting each other at close range, some don't. Some fields allow you to bring your own paintballs, some don't. There isn't any real standard of play other than the limits set by insurance companies.

Most (good) fields require players to chronograph under staff supervision. It's a speed test to make sure that the guns fire at a consistent/ safe velocity. 280fps is a pretty common speed limit for outdoor play in north america. If a field runs by an honour system its a warning sign.
Prepaid Lenin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Keeper of souls of bees

Quote:
what's a prod hop?
That this a pro shop that did not get a bad auto correct from Google.
No one is judge/jury/executioner here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger[TG] View Post
I must have missed that memo

Feedback

Kinda Loves DPrekel
The Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport