mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 01-14-2008, 10:25 AM   #11 (permalink)
Post Whore

I'd definitely choose a Trilogy over a JT.

But...There are lots of nice markers out there that are simpler to maintain with similar rates of fire and no need for motorized loaders and such. Since you're buying a bunch of gear all at once I'd try to stay with simple stuff like gravity loaders and co2 tanks. If the quantum only puts out 8 BPS you could shoot a blowback and the kick will give you that from a gravity loader. The Quantum is a true waste of money.

How about some Tippmann 98's? Those come in a complete package with everything including a mask for a very reasonable price. The masks aren't great but they're not awful to get started with. Spyders have a wide range of mechanical blowbacks too and those have proven to be good guns at reasonable prices over the years.

Keep it simple and see where things progress from there. The Trilogies are great markers for the money but because they are a cocker they are not as easy to shoot or maintain for a young player. The way the trigger works on a cocker could be frustrating for a young player(and many older players too).

Mechanical blowbacks are always the best place to start when you are first getting into paintball IMHO.

Feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Mr. Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
In my opinion, one of the best setups you can possibly get for a new player, or an occasional rec player (that does not have gunwhoreitus), is the following:

- Tippmann Custom 98
- 12 oz CO2 tank
- 10" J&J Barrel
- 12 V Revolution Hopper
- VForce Shield/Morph or Proto EL or JT Proshield (stay away from VForce Vantages, as in my opinion the vision is very restrictive)
Old 01-14-2008, 03:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Marathoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by idkfa View Post
In my opinion, one of the best setups you can possibly get for a new player, or an occasional rec player (that does not have gunwhoreitus), is the following:

- Tippmann Custom 98
- 12 oz CO2 tank
- 10" J&J Barrel
- 12 V Revolution Hopper
- VForce Shield/Morph or Proto EL or JT Proshield (stay away from VForce Vantages, as in my opinion the vision is very restrictive)
^ Aye, Tippmann's are tanks, and I personally love the trigger on the 98's. Very snappy.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:46 PM   #14 (permalink)

Hmm...i'd set them up with 98 customs...by the time they want something new they will probably be able to buy their own guns. I mean, they can each get little upgrades here and there and you will never have to worry about any breaking issues.
Matt H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 05:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
Thick

Send a message via AIM to HurtCow

CCM Fan
PPS Fan
I realize I'm like the 12th person to say this, but look at a Tippmann M98. They're the AK-47's of paintball guns. You can run it over with a tank, then put it in a bowl of mud and bake it, then chip it out and use it to club a baby seal, and it'll still work.

If I hurt your feelings or otherwise offended you, click here.
HurtCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 06:29 PM   #16 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurtCow View Post
I realize I'm like the 12th person to say this, but look at a Tippmann M98. They're the AK-47's of paintball guns. You can run it over with a tank, then put it in a bowl of mud and bake it, then chip it out and use it to club a baby seal, and it'll still work.
true, and your gun will be totally agg once you bake it . But on a serious note, I would hook up your boys with trilogies. Get em each a different one (pro, competition, sport). So they can argue which one is the best.
mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:29 AM   #17 (permalink)
Old gear!

Since you said you've already bought the guns, yea, Trilogies. But I had a friend with a Quantum loader, and NOTHING but trouble. Loud, too... just junk. I'd take a gravity feed "Archon" over a Quantum, since they feed on par with each other, and the Archon won't break paint.

A cheap barrel for each wouldn't hurt either. Evil Drivers and JJ Ceramics are going for about 20 on ebay, both nice barrels.

Sounds like you're going to have a good time...
flyweightnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:31 AM   #18 (permalink)
Back to paintball.

Send a message via AIM to Ir0nExpress

I like my new trilogy competition, it's fun. I finally understood how a cocker worked after reading the instructions and such. I couldn't get it for the longest time. It's technical but not too hard.
Ir0nExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 11:57 AM   #19 (permalink)
(V) (o,,,o) (V) WOOP WOOP

Honestly, I say go with 2004 Prostock autocockers, its a full fledged autococker, and when they want to upgrade parts you guys dont need to worry about what parts arent going to fit on a trilogy.

For 64 something dollars you cant beat that deal.

Masks: I'd go for V-force Vantages or stay with the Flex-8's.

Hoppers: Revolutions are always the best idea, you cant go wrong with them.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:50 PM   #20 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via MSN to Gabe

Definitely either a Tippmann 98 or a Prostock 'cocker. The prostocks get better resale due to the immense aftermarket for them.

The Tippmanns are just tanks and will work great. In woodsball a Tippmann 98 is a force to be reckoned with, even for a person with better gear. Probably 90% of the time I'm eliminated it's been from a 98 just because EVERYBODY shoots them and loves them here in Alaska. You can dump them in a snow berm, freeze them, run liquid CO2 in them, fire frozen and bloated paint and never clean them and they will keep running like a sewing machine.

For a hopper, don't bother with Viewloader. Ricochet hoppers are cheap now and they are indestructible. Ricochet AK's run as much as a cheap Viewloader and load twice as fast and will last far longer.

Goggles: The Vforce goggles that the Tippmann's come with are great goggles, I know a guy that shoot high end gun setups and still uses his Tippmann goggles because they don't fog on him and are still in once piece. Other than that, JT Flex goggles are awesome. I've only ever used JT goggles and I swear by them.
Gabe is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport