mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 01-22-2008, 02:02 PM   #21 (permalink)
(V) (o,,,o) (V) WOOP WOOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
Definitely either a Tippmann 98 or a Prostock 'cocker. The prostocks get better resale due to the immense aftermarket for them.

The Tippmanns are just tanks and will work great. In woodsball a Tippmann 98 is a force to be reckoned with, even for a person with better gear. Probably 90% of the time I'm eliminated it's been from a 98 just because EVERYBODY shoots them and loves them here in Alaska. You can dump them in a snow berm, freeze them, run liquid CO2 in them, fire frozen and bloated paint and never clean them and they will keep running like a sewing machine.

For a hopper, don't bother with Viewloader. Ricochet hoppers are cheap now and they are indestructible. Ricochet AK's run as much as a cheap Viewloader and load twice as fast and will last far longer.

Goggles: The Vforce goggles that the Tippmann's come with are great goggles, I know a guy that shoot high end gun setups and still uses his Tippmann goggles because they don't fog on him and are still in once piece. Other than that, JT Flex goggles are awesome. I've only ever used JT goggles and I swear by them.

I have to disagree with that Hopper choice. I have killed many Ricochet hoppers. So have many of my friends, we don't play hard with them, they just tend to get fidgety and start to crap out. I believe it could be the fact that they use a paddle like thin instead of an eye. don't get me wrong, a physical paint detector would normally be much more reliable then eyes, but I think its the way they build them. I have never had a problem with my VL hoppers, excluding the Quantum, but that doesn't really count as a hopper. It could just be us, And I will happily admit that while they work, Ricochets are great little hoppers and at their price can be replaced when needed.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:07 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdawg View Post
Do not get quantum loaders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyweightnate View Post
But I had a friend with a Quantum loader, and NOTHING but trouble. Loud, too... just junk...
Quote:
Originally Posted by foughtwolf View Post
Hoppers: Revolutions are always the best idea, you cant go wrong with them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
For a hopper, don't bother with Viewloader. Ricochet AK's run as much as a cheap Viewloader and load twice as fast and will last far longer.

I paid less for the Quantums than I did for plain GRAVITY Fed hoppers.
Trigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 07:00 PM   #23 (permalink)
(V) (o,,,o) (V) WOOP WOOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
I paid less for the Quantums than I did for plain GRAVITY Fed hoppers.
You'll find out why.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:42 AM   #24 (permalink)
Old gear!

Hmm... perhaps remove the internals, and then you just gotta tip it forward every 8 shots to refill your stack.

But yeah, the electronics in it SUCK. Work ok-ish when your hopper is less than half full, but until that point, you're going to want to murder Viewloader and every individual related to the development of that thing. Definitely a concept drawing that was pushed through; I doubt it was ever tested under realistic conditions.
flyweightnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 01:33 PM   #25 (permalink)
MCB Member

I'm all for limiting rates of fire, but whatever you do, don't try to limit the rate of fire with your hopper. Always make sure your hopper can load faster than the marker can shoot, otherwise you're just asking for trouble. If the marker has eyes and won't fire if a ball is not fed yet, then you could theoretically get away with a slower hopper than the marker, but still not a good idea.

The Trilogy would be my choice of those listed, but I'd reccommend a Model 98 as well if you want reliability. I'm sure over half the people that come up to our field to play with a new JT marker, end up borrowing a rental Model 98 before the day is out. Trilogies we don't see as much here, but in general when new players with little experience come with cockers, they sit out games on a regular basis (instead of playing) working on thier markers. Having said that, if you have some knowledge about cockers or don't mind learning, they are a decent piece of equipment.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 05:08 PM   #26 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to Mindless_Chaos

why don't you try out that new wgp mg7?

My Feedback
Mindless_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 06:51 PM   #27 (permalink)

I been playing for awhile and the only hopper that has stayed in my gear bag and has never failed is my Revy. This thing is years old and still keeps going. I use it on my pump once in a while.And keep it just in case the Halo's go down.

And the Revy will feed almost anything up to 12 bps or so. But from NPPL , XPSL you will find very few that can shoot faster than that. Backs years ago we ran Revys on Angels and they did fine!
Old 01-27-2008, 06:05 AM   #28 (permalink)

I figure, I will give my two cents here...

An A-5 might be a good choice, at first it seems kinda expensive, but then you figure 199 for the gun, which includes a really good hopper, that doesn't need any batteries, combined with the reliability of a tippmann and the ability to run normal co2 and it is really a good deal.

Batteries for loaders will continue to cost, and most hoppers are far less durable than the cyclone feed, I break a hopper on average once every three months, I have a Halo, Egg, reloader, and revvy and I have had to buy parts for every single one of them, Never seen a cyclone feed break though.

Out of your choices a trilogy will be better by far than an electro, but still a used mag would be better than something like that. I have both a mags and cockers, and I always prefer the mag.
sdlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 07:46 AM   #29 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man View Post
I been playing for awhile and the only hopper that has stayed in my gear bag and has never failed is my Revy. This thing is years old and still keeps going. I use it on my pump once in a while.And keep it just in case the Halo's go down.

And the Revy will feed almost anything up to 12 bps or so. But from NPPL , XPSL you will find very few that can shoot faster than that. Backs years ago we ran Revys on Angels and they did fine!
I agree that the Revolution is a fantastic general purpose loader. The advantage of forcefeed loaders like the Force or Eye Force is that they will feed at least a few balls with the gun tipped almost upside down and will overcome blowback from a problematic gun to at least get you through a game. Agitated loaders are limited in that they can keep the balls loose and feeding but they cannot defy gravity or overcome blowback.

Feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Mr. Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:07 PM   #30 (permalink)
Rec Poster

You forgot to ask..

It also depends on what kind of game you're planning on playing..Woods or Speed/Airball, Outlaw or on a Field. Stick with Tippmann for reliabilty and ease of use! Even the Triumph series is a good gun for a first one, although the XTs have a built in expansion chamber which is great for CO2, but sucks for HPA (air).
If you're going to play Outlaw, get those guns to a chrono!

Play safe, play fair, play often!
Kevin the Scot is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport