mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 02-01-2008, 09:01 PM   #31 (permalink)

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
Ive always believed that spyders or any blowbacks are the best first paintguns. They shoot well enough; work well on co2, offer decent upgrades and provide a good platform for a newer player to learn about marker maintenance and installing upgrades.
Bubkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 06:28 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindless_Chaos View Post
why don't you try out that new wgp mg7?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin the Scot View Post
Stick with Tippmann for reliabilty and ease of use! Even the Triumph series is a good gun for a first one
QUOTED FROM ORIGINAL POST
"I should have said it more clearly, no pumps, what is the difference in autococker and semi auto(rhetorical question), Jt Protium and WGP Trilogy Comp are the only two choices they have(I have already bought these 8 markers(4boys X 2 Markers), I don't want them used, because of return\resale value on the one they don't get."

Last edited by Trigger; 02-02-2008 at 07:55 PM. Reason: add
Trigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:41 AM   #33 (permalink)
Rec Poster

I'm sorry, I misunderstood, why are you limited to only two choices?
Also, a better question is Are they playing Woodsball or Air/Xball? (different styles of play have different requirements

As to resale, you never know..I sold a KP3 several years ago for $75 and now they're going for +$400!

Last edited by Kevin the Scot; 02-03-2008 at 10:50 AM.
Kevin the Scot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:28 AM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin the Scot View Post
I'm sorry, I misunderstood, why are you limited to only two choices?
Also, a better question is Are they playing Woodsball or Air/Xball? (different styles of play have different requirements

As to resale, you never know..I sold a KP3 several years ago for $75 and now they're going for +$400!
I have limited funds and these two were the only options(if someone gave you the keys to the store and said pick a marker or two and these are the only 2 in the store you don't say NO)
More air/X/Speedball than Wood
Resale (I mean right now they are un used, still in box, -once you use, can't be sold as new value drops 30-50%)
Trigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:23 PM   #35 (permalink)
Rec Poster

I'd say go with the Trilogy. WGP has been making great markers for some time and in that price range (and for a non-woodsball gun) of the two you listed, I'd take the WGP.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:37 PM   #36 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Sir Brass

Agreed. Trilogy is a good basic design on a proven frame. The autococker problems of the past are reduced significantly on them (from all I can tell. I don't own one since I own a blazer) as long as the boys learn to not smack the trigger (with ANY pneumatic semi-auto the rule is ALWAYS "full pull, full release" else you get short-stroking, and that's not fun when it causes a mess in the breech and barrel).

The JT will cause you nothing but problems. JT used to make some okay entry-level markers some years back (I owned a JT Excellerator 2.5 for a time, and for most of that time I was pretty satisfied), but these days they're junk. Return the JT's and use the returned $$ to buy the boys VL Revvy 12v's w/ x-board.

I bought a Revvy 12v (w/ x-board) back in 2003. It was first on my JT Excellerator so that I would have reduced ball chops due to blow back problems, etc. It worked like a dream. Then, I bought my first blazer. I had that Revvy until I sold my blazer in 2005. I have since regretted EVER selling BOTH the blazer and the revvy.

About the revvy. When I bought it back in '03, it was still a very common and popular hopper (what the Halo seems to be these days in terms of how common it is to see them on a variety of markers), and it was still only $45. It's probably a little less now. Still, the thing runs like a champ. I only had to change batteries in it ONCE, and that was b/c on a flight it was in my overhead luggage and got turned on somehow and the batteries drained (no ball to break the electronic eye means the paddles spin till a ball is pushed into that space). Other than that, it ran GREAT. Always had balls in the stack, it wasn't heavy at all, and only ran when needed (ricos will run EVERY shot if they're not a constant-agitation model), and then only briefly unless there was a fairly full hopper when the jam occurred and then it would take a second of spinning before it would stop. So, I didn't hear it run very often.

It also lasted through ALOT of abuse (it seemed to be a paint magnet sometimes, and took its fair shair of hits). I only had to replace the lid ONCE, and that was a cheap $5 cost. No biggie.

For the $$, the 12v revvy (runs on 2 9v's) w/ x-board is what you want. I pity the kid with the JT and the quantum. Piece of junk hopper it is. battery drainer and target magnet, especially on the speedball field. When the game quiets down towards the end, if the kid is still in and is using a quantum, then he's toast. When the firing dies down and the teams are searching for remaining opponents, that hopper running is going to be like a big bright "I'm HERE, SHOOT ME!!!" sign. Running gravity feed in that case is far more preferable.

The trilogy itself will limit the kid's ability to hose. The 12v will always ensure that a ball will be there in the stack if there are any paintballs left to shoot. It also tells you when it's empty (or has only what's left in the stack) in that it will start to constantly run. At that time, either reload it or switch it off (easy to do as the on/off is a toggle switch that is easilly reached by fingers and not easilly shut off accidently in game.....trust me on this.....I ran one for 2 years straight and wish I still had it).

Get the black shelled revvy's. They're more durable than the smoke shelled ones. My revvy never cracked or busted. Just the lid got a few hard hits once and cracked. but it was meant to keep the balls from falling out, not take hits. So it cracked, and when that crack finally split the lid months later, I bought a new one while at D-Day 2004.

So, for all of them: Trilogy's.....and return the JT's and (if you already bought them) the quantums. Get them revvy 12v's w/ x-board.

Also, if you can, get them J&J ceramic barrels. Those are NICE barrels for the cost. I've never heard a single bad thing about them. They're not the best, and I don't use them any more, but when I did use them I never hated them NOR have I really ever heard any serious dissing of the J&J. It's a good quality aftermarket barrel.
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a may lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frink View Post
I just love being able to kill absolutely every living thing in a small room, including myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger[TG] View Post
We have a conscience, Carter be thy name.

Proud owner of:
Palmer's aluminum + brass...... two of 'em <3
Oh....and some mags too
Sir Brass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:48 PM   #37 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Brass View Post
Agreed.

Also, if you can, get them J&J ceramic barrels. Those are NICE barrels for the cost. I've never heard a single bad thing about them. They're not the best, and I don't use them any more, but when I did use them I never hated them NOR have I really ever heard any serious dissing of the J&J. It's a good quality aftermarket barrel.
And I agree about the J&J! I've got one on my Maverick Pump and one on my Impulse Mini. When others are breaking balls due to weather, I'm breaking balls on opponents! Easy to clean as either turn it upside down-if using gravity feed-or just shoot slower and subsequent balls will clean it out!
Old 03-02-2008, 09:30 AM   #38 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking_Target View Post
find some old rental mags, there is nearly zilch they can mess up on them. mags are a marker that will probably outlast your kids
that true about automag,i have a 68mag for 12year still going hehe. but it dont play well with CO2.

Last edited by riceboi; 03-03-2008 at 08:22 AM.
riceboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:38 AM   #39 (permalink)
Rec Poster

If i could only have on of the two it would be no contest. Trilogy.
JT really is garbage.

"But come ooon dad!! Can i have a tippmann."
crash-drive is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport