mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 05-24-2017, 10:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithuna View Post
I've got some phantoms from the late 80s. Hard to mess up. Pump is a fun challenge, too. In my humble opinion, it's more enjoyable to have the challenge in play vs at the workbench/online store/youtube/forum looking for the solution to a quirk.

To each his own, of course.
There is a local guy selling a phantom for $175. Seems a tad too high but I have no idea! Pump sounds awesome though!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
bower538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 10:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Stock Class Jackass

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower538 View Post
There is a local guy selling a phantom for $175. Seems a tad too high but I have no idea! Pump sounds awesome though! https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...19d32b3a69.jpg

I'll be honest and say that I want to give every phantom a good home. That 12 gram changer is very interesting, btw. Is he on MCB?

Near Houston TX? Check out the
Houston Area Stock Class Group
Mithuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 10:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:

I'll be honest and say that I want to give every phantom a good home. That 12 gram changer is very interesting, btw. Is he on MCB?
I have no idea, he is a very knowledgeable guy when I emailed him. Shall I ask? I especially liked the patch he has it it! Would that marker be worth it at its current price and for a first marker? I would only need to pick up a loader and 12g and then I would be set. I've never researched a marker with like a side feed so I would assume I would need an elbow of some sorts?

Old 05-24-2017, 10:59 PM   #14 (permalink)
I need this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower538 View Post
I think I should heed your warning. I don't want to be over my head. If I was looking for a automag, would I be looking at the classic? I want something that I can upgrade and make my own over the years. I see the classics with a right hand and left hand feed. I'm left eye dominate and shoot left handed if that matters to which feed I choose. Thank you for your time and your help!!

Right feed for a southpaw seems perfect. Will give you a clear sight line down the barrel and hide your hopper behind cover along with the rest of you. I've never understood why right feed became the standard for a right handed world. A classic valve with a level 7 bolt is a good base. Everything else is up to you. Ebay generally has a half dozen classic mags for sale at any given time that can be had for $100-125.

Always looking for a Woodland Camo F1 Illustrator. Got an extra?
Rusty Brass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:00 PM   #15 (permalink)
Stock Class Jackass

I have a patch just like that

My personal preference is stock class pump, so I'd prefer a breech/body that would more easily allow for that. If you're into the idea of a pump with a tank and hopper, it's not a bad place to start.

Old 05-24-2017, 11:00 PM   #16 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Brass View Post
Right feed for a southpaw seems perfect. Will give you a clear sight line down the barrel and hide your hopper behind cover along with the rest of you. I've never understood why right feed became the standard for a right handed world. A classic valve with a level 7 bolt is a good base. Everything else is up to you. Ebay generally has a half dozen classic mags for sale at any given time that can be had for $100-125.
So the classics and can fully made into whatever I would like? I just want a good base that I can go all out if I get hooked

Old 05-24-2017, 11:02 PM   #17 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
I have a patch just like that

My personal preference is stock class pump, so I'd prefer a breech/body that would more easily allow for that. If you're into the idea of a pump with a tank and hopper, it's not a bad place to start.
I would rather have a vert feed just so I don't have to deal with an elbow, but I don't see those around. :/

Old 05-24-2017, 11:04 PM   #18 (permalink)
Stock Class Jackass

The modern stock class breeches allow for a feedneck adapter to replace the 10 round tube feed. It's one screw off, one screw on.

Old 05-24-2017, 11:05 PM   #19 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
The modern stock class breeches allow for a feedneck adapter to replace the 10 round tube feed. It's one screw off, one screw on.
Interesting!

Old 05-24-2017, 11:09 PM   #20 (permalink)
Stock Class Jackass

I don't want anyone to think that I'm trying to start a phantom vs any other maker debate. I just know what I like, and that I didn't have any trouble learning to update/upgrade/fix my phantom. Whichever way you go, MCB is the place to get the answers you need.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport