mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 06-05-2017, 02:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Fairly new to electros, what to buy?

Hello!

As the title says I am fairly new to electric markers, I still own my first electro, a Planet Eclipse Etha. I am looking to replace the Etha as it has generated endless problems and I have lost the patience in trying to fix it. It may be quite expensive as well, according to a local PE certified technician.

To the point, my budget is around 2000 SEK (yes, I am Swedish). From what I've seen this puts me in the price range of markers like ETEK 4, DM13, Empire Axe, Ego 9 and such. With a little budget stretch I could reach a Dye NT11. I am looking for some thoughts about these markers as I have no experience of them myself, hence I hope to get some input here

From what I've picked up online spool and poppets are two different designs and frankly I have no preferences here, I just found out that the Etha is a spool. I want some reliability, I don't mind some maintenance to achieve this though.

Thanks in advance
Grytvante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 02:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
chuff chuff

Brass and Wood Fan
In general the NT series is more if you're big on tinkering. For quality and reliability anything from Eclipse is great, so I'm surprised to hear you're having issues with the Etha.

Within that price range I would considering stretching for a DM14 if possible to get rid of the macroline (just my personal preference). Ego's are strong choices as well.
Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

I see, a quick look through a few reddit threads also claimed that the NT needs more tinkering and is a bit more complicated in the design than the DM series. To be honest I was a bit disappointed with the Etha's reliability. Although I bought it used, which is always a little risky.

I will keep that in mind. However, I haven't seen any DM14's up for sale recently, but I will keep an eye out. Also, in what way is it beneficial to get rid of the macroline?

Ego's seem good, a guy at the local field has played with one for many years so they seem to hold up well to continued usage as well. This was an Ego 9 so I guess it's getting quite old by now, could this be a problem or is it just good to go with some maintenance like fresh o-rings and a thorough oil up?
Old 06-05-2017, 03:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Trilogy Apologist

Of the guns you've listed, I'd say go with an Axe. They're great shooting guns, and they're very reliable. Good efficiency too, probably best of the guns you've listed. As long as you can stand the unorthodox ergonomics, they're great guns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Thompson View Post
Who is this Chad Thompson you all are talking about?
Virtus Et Peritia
magmoormaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Merc

Send a message via AIM to JOESPUD27

Planet Eclipse Gtek or Etha 2 if you can afford them, new or used. Axe if you cannot.
JOESPUD27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Gtek
Old 06-06-2017, 04:18 AM   #7 (permalink)

The Axe seems to be great, from what I've read online and also according to video reviews. However, I have never held one and the frame seems a bit odd. So I am not entirely convinced regarding comfort, can anyone fill in on that? I don't have huge hands, they are somewhat large but slender, if you know what I mean.

Regarding the GTEK and the Etha 2, I haven't looked at these guns at all. I haven't seen any of them for sale used and new ones are out of my budget. The GTEK looks like a great gun though, possibly the Etha too but since I've had so many problems with my current Etha I guess I am a little biased against the Etha 2 as well.

Thanks for your input guys, it's much appreciated!
Old 06-06-2017, 09:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Merc

Send a message via AIM to JOESPUD27

I wear L/XL gloves to play. The Gtek/Etha 2 felt better than the Axe. Axe was still fine, just not as good. The best part about the Axe was the Customer Service from KEE. That's changed (for better or worse, yet to be seen) now that it's GI Sportz.
JOESPUD27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 01:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Stylin' & Profilin'

CCM Fan
I normally recommend anything Eclipse for ease of maintenance and reliability. Wherever your price range falls you can't go wrong with one of their offerings!
Euangelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 02:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

Since my budget is 250$ buying new is pretty much out of the question. I haven't seen a single used Etha 2 for sale so far, I have only looked within Sweden though. There is one Gtek for sale, but at just above 400$, shipping excluded.

This narrows it down a little bit. Currently I have found an Axe and an Etek4 for sale, both at 230$, shipping excluded. The eyes of the Etek has been replaced very recently as well. So now I'm a little unsure of which one to get. From some more research it seems that the advantages of the Etek is efficiency, and that it's easy to maintain in terms of accessibility. Efficiency is not that big of a deal for me though, the local field I mostly play at is rather small and the rounds are short with 4-6 players on each team.

While the Axe is smoother and quieter, more upgradeable but it's harder to reach the eyes for maintenance. Also the reg seems hard to service yourself, which is often dismissed by Kee's customer service, but I don't know if that is applicable to Sweden. Is this correct? Have I missed any crucial points?

I will do some more research and happily take some more input and experiences from you all. Again, it's greatly appreciated!

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport