mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 06-05-2017, 08:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Sending a marker in for maintenance/repair.

TL;DR - What is the process for sending in my Axe to G.I./Kee/Empire to get it repaired under my new one year warranty?

-----

So this is something I've never had to do, but since G.I./Kee/Empire was gracious enough to extend a one year warranty to me (granted many other of you got screwed by the same offer), I figure I might as well take advantage of it.

The problem is with my Axe. I got it in 2014, and I was far from the first owner. More like third or fourth. It was my first electric, and I quite enjoy playing with it. It was well taken care of by the first owners (though, the stock barrel was lost along the way, which I'd love to have for completeness). I took good care of it, and it gave me no problems till later 2016.

The first problems were a slight leak out the vent when first aired up that went away after a minute or two. Looked it up to find it was a trivial problem to fix, but never got around to it because it wasn't really an issue. I also had a very slight leak down the barrel from the poppet seal, but was so very small I hadn't worried about it.

The next problem was a bit more serious, it was reg creep issues. When left sitting between games the pressure would creep up to ~220 PSI, but would return to normal after the first shot. I dropped a few drops of oil into the ASA, aired it up, popped of a few shots, degassed, and repeated the process a few times. This seemed to have helped, as the last time I used the Axe I didn't have any creep issues. I planned on later making a tool to disassemble and properly clean and lube the reg.

Next came a leaky upper transfer tube. It appears the seal around the piston that presses up into the body when under pressure wouldn't always seal when first aired up. I was going to try to repair this, but didn't have cir-clip pliers with a long enough reach. This problem wasn't too bad, as if it leaked when aired up, degassing it and trying again usually got it to seal after a few more tries. At worse, this is a pretty cheap part to replace anyway.

The final showstopper problem came late last autumn. I took it out to play, went to chrono and was shooting a little hot. Turned in the velocity screw a bit to drop velocity, and the next shot just barely came out the barrel. Adjusted the screw back out, but no change, still just dropping out the barrel. Degassed it, did the poppet reset procedure, and cleaned a little extra grease off the bolt/guide, thinking maybe the cold weather was making it too viscous (Dow 33 medium). That seemed to help, at first. As soon as I tried to adjust the velocity, I was back to balls barely coming out the barrel. At this point, I just put it away and pulled out another marker to play with.

I got home that night and completely disassembled the Axe looking for something out of place. I cleaned it, lubed it, put it back together, and she was working perfect. Could adjust the velocity and everything. Put it up thinking all was good. A week or so later I got it out to test again to see if all was still ok, and I was back to balls just barely coming out the barrel.

It appears that the problem is with the poppet. It seems it's not opening (it can be manually opened with no issue), and the only air pushing the balls is the air that vents after pushing the bolt fully forward. I haven't yet tried replacing the o-ring around the poppet (I don't have one, and haven't ordered one yet), which very possibly is the problem. My best guess is that the air pressure behind the poppet isn't dropping low enough while the solenoid is open, which means the poppet can't open. I should note that I reset everything to factory defaults.

Anyway, I was planning on getting around to fixing all of these problems when G.I./Kee/Empire announced their new warranty program. Well, I figure if I've now got a warranty, then I might as well send it in and let them fix it. Only problem is, I've never done this before, so I have no idea what the process is for doing this. So, to the real question of this absurdly long post is, what is the process for sending in my Axe to G.I./Kee/Empire to get it repaired under my new one year warranty?
William the Third is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 01:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Stylin' & Profilin'

CCM Fan
Best bet is to call CS and speak with someone to make sure all info is accurate and you are covered.

It's been some time but when calling them I had the best results and got things sorted out quickly.
Euangelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 06:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

You call them then you send it in. They have great service.

PSA: To post direct images when using imgur or other hosting site, copy the "direct link" url in between these image tags [img]yoururlhere[/img]
Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Thanks guys.
William the Third is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

I saw this and just have to repeat how great their customer service is. Every time I call or email them I get a prompt response, and they're generally saying exactly what I want to hear.
Pariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 01:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

Literally I almost bought an axe because they took care of me so well on my hoppers.

PSA: To post direct images when using imgur or other hosting site, copy the "direct link" url in between these image tags [img]yoururlhere[/img]
Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport