mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 02-08-2018, 10:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Upgrade for an Etek 4

Hey all, do not really a new guy but just was curious if there's anything I can do to improve a bonestock Etek 4? It's my first actual reliable electro. (My ion and B2k4 don't count lol) I do plan on upgrading before college because I plan on playing on their team if I can. But anyways. Any suggestions? To me the only thing that seems upgrabeable would the bolt.
Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
A Drowning Trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Bow Chicka Honk Honk

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Drowning Trout View Post
Hey all, do not really a new guy but just was curious if there's anything I can do to improve a bonestock Etek 4? It's my first actual reliable electro. (My ion and B2k4 don't count lol) I do plan on upgrading before college because I plan on playing on their team if I can. But anyways. Any suggestions? To me the only thing that seems upgrabeable would the bolt.
Reg is rock solid reliable, dont need to touch it. Nothing wrong with the feedneck or ASA. Barrel is very nice. Mine was a bit harsh on paint, but then again i never touched the LPR, so id tinker with pressures a little bit to see if you can make sure it doesnt chop.
"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
- The New Colossus, Emma Lazarus

This is what the Statue of Liberty is supposed to mean. But what does she mean now? How have we strayed so far?

My feedback
Jahnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 01:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks. I know I have to replace the detents because they are dry rotted and falling apart. Would it be worth looking at getting a different bolt? I'll read up on tinkering with the pressures. It should be the same as a B2k4 though because they're both poppets. What would adjusting the pressure do though? Sorry I'm more used to autcockers and mechs than electros.
Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to martix_agent

dont' mess with it. It's an EGO. you dont' need to touch any settings, and it'll last forever.

the LPR and HPR are exactly the same concept as your B2K. the LPR doesnt' need to be touched, unless you mess with it (there's no need to do this) and the HPR will increase or decrease your velocity.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
AKA Maggy Moo

All of the testing I've seen on various bolt upgrades show that the difference they make is negligible. Only thing I'd look at is getting a Shaft FR. The stock barrel isn't bad, but it is a bit big.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Thompson View Post
Who is this Chad Thompson you all are talking about?
Virtus Et Peritia
magmoormaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rec Poster

I liked my etek 4. I upgraded the board to an oled, very hard to find, but if you call virtue they have them in stock. I bought an fr back because I have always used a freak system and liked the matching Anno barrel. I ended up selling it and buying a gtek, I like poppits better over spools usually but the gtek is a no fuss solid electro marker.
Benten89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

I would recommend a barrel upgrade. Either a barrel system (the FR back from Eclipse works well, accepts affordable Freak inserts, and uses your existing barrel tip to maintain color matching) or anything Autococker threaded will work. The factory barrel is high quality, but it is .693 bore, which is definitely a little large. If you don't want a full kit then a Custom Products .689 or Lapco .688 will serve you very well. You don't have to bore match paint for your gun to shoot well, but sizing the barrel down will help a bit with how loud the gun is and with gas efficiency. Assuming you have good paint, it may help with accuracy as well.

I normally say bolt upgrades are a waste of money, but on the Etek models before the Etek5 a bolt upgrade can help in quieting the gun down and potentially increasing gas efficiency. This may lead to a tiny bit less kick as well. If these are things that sound important and you have some extra cash burning a hole in your pocket or if you just really want to buy upgrades then a bolt isn't a terrible idea after buying a barrel. But definitely don't feel like your gun needs a bolt.

Beyond that, you can deck it out with an Eclipse or Inception low profile feedneck, or an Eclipse or Inception ASA. You might still be able to find Violent triggers as well.

These are all things that look cool and are nice to have, but won't make your gun any better or you a better player. I wouldn't dump a ton of money into an Etek4. It's a great gun, the best upgrade is always more paint to play with and more time at the field!

Planet Eclipse Tech and Planet Eclipse Service Center. Please PM me for any warranty work or other Planet Eclipse service needs.
jerryjjackson69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks guys! I already have a freak kit for my cockers so I'll just stick with that. Basically its more than good enough stock which is fine by me. Thanks for the input.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

I'd just use it and if you want to get something else for the pleasure of having a different gun go ahead.

PSA: To post direct images when using imgur or other hosting site, copy the "direct link" url in between these image tags [img]yoururlhere[/img]
Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 03:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Mar
Carter's wife's boyfriend

Brass and Wood Fan
The only upgrade needed is your pants: Better pants.
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport