mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 02-07-2008, 12:10 PM   #21 (permalink)
Post Whore

Check out ebay for paintball clothes at reasonable prices. I got about $200 worth of gloves, pants and jersey for around $70 shipped. Barb's paintball and a few others on there sell paintball clothes that are still new in the package but are a few years old for ridiculous prices($9 shipped for a $50 pair of gloves). The fashion show that paintball has become renders 2 year old styles far too uncool for anyone but those on a budget(like me) or who don't give a crap about fashion(even more like me) to buy. You can get top quality stuff for very good prices by purchasing older lines. BDU's are always a good option too but in my case were actually more expensive than the JT pants and jersey that I picked up on ebay.

Feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Mr. Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 12:17 PM   #22 (permalink)
Post Whore

There's other companies that sell outdated or overrun stock on PB clothing. Check out I&I's website or Paintball Gateway's site as two examples.
Shiba-Kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 12:20 PM   #23 (permalink)
Icognito Remiss Firebrand

Send a message via AIM to incynr8

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
PPS Fan
outdated paintball clothing, bwhaha, so my British DPM is long useless?

incynr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 12:25 PM   #24 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by incynr8 View Post
I love explaining to the kids at the paintball field who Lockout was and what Freeflow Autococker meant. It's great to wear oldschool stuff just to get the confused looks from the pageant participants....

Old 02-07-2008, 12:34 PM   #25 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by incynr8 View Post
Well, when there's a catalog date associated with a specific design, etc. then yeah "outdated" in the retail sense of the word.
Shiba-Kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 12:40 PM   #26 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
I tend to play very hard, and since I am rather big (6'4" and 225 lbs.) I hit the ground hard when I slide, drop, etc. I had to stop playing for a week because I dropped onto carpeted concrete onto my knees with not enough knee protection. I mainly concentrate on my lower body, but I do wear gloves and I am looking into elbow pads. I just wear a hoodie on the field usually. For speedball/recreational games, I wear:

- Dye C7 Pants (got them for a good price, and they have been very good to me)
- JT Skinz Knee/Shin Pads (I wear these against my skin)
- APP Knee/Shin Pads (I wear these over the JT pads)
- Dye C6 Gloves (got them for DIRT cheap)
- Foam Cup
- Running sneakers

and for woods related games I have a full set of BDUs (German Flecktarn). I do like "paintball pants" as they breath much better than BDUs, have padding, and are quite durable if you get the right kind.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:05 PM   #27 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by idkfa View Post
I tend to play very hard, and since I am rather big (6'4" and 225 lbs.) I hit the ground hard when I slide, drop, etc. I had to stop playing for a week because I dropped onto carpeted concrete onto my knees with not enough knee protection. I mainly concentrate on my lower body, but I do wear gloves and I am looking into elbow pads. I just wear a hoodie on the field usually. For speedball/recreational games, I wear:

- Dye C7 Pants (got them for a good price, and they have been very good to me)
- JT Skinz Knee/Shin Pads (I wear these against my skin)
- APP Knee/Shin Pads (I wear these over the JT pads)
- Dye C6 Gloves (got them for DIRT cheap)
- Foam Cup
- Running sneakers

and for woods related games I have a full set of BDUs (German Flecktarn). I do like "paintball pants" as they breath much better than BDUs, have padding, and are quite durable if you get the right kind.
You sound like someone who would love the old style Redz knee pads. Stiff Kevlar on the front and super cushy but firm neoprene on the back. You could dive on anything and not feel them. Paintballs would bounce so far back they'd almost hit the guy that shot them and they were easy to clean. I still miss those things since I sold them when I left paintball back in 2001.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:24 PM   #28 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Furious View Post
You sound like someone who would love the old style Redz knee pads. Stiff Kevlar on the front and super cushy but firm neoprene on the back. You could dive on anything and not feel them. Paintballs would bounce so far back they'd almost hit the guy that shot them and they were easy to clean. I still miss those things since I sold them when I left paintball back in 2001.
I think I have a pair of the ones you mean. Yes, they're great protection, but the velcro straps can sometimes hurt a bit on the insides of the leg. I usually don't wear them since I don't crawl a lot and our field is very soft and muddy anyway.

I wear:
-SCP Beanie
-Some cheap camo longsleeve shirt
-The Whiteboard/Docs machine tshirt
-Cheap pair of Draxxus gloves (Used to have some old Empire ones, they were great, but I lost one of them )
-2006 Proto pants

Not too fond of the pants, the crotch ripped the second game I played in them, there's just not enough fabric to allow your legs to spread. Now there's a hole in them through which you can see my underpants Besides that, the pockets are kinda small, there's not enough padding, and no belt loops. The few good things are the ventilation, which can be nice on hot summer days, and the 2 loops through which you can fit a pod, which can be nice for the occasional time I play with an electro and a single hopper just doesn't quite cut it (Oh, and the water bottle I carry around on big games).

I kinda want something else, but I have yet to find anything better that's not too expensive. I've been thinking of just forking out the cash and get this. The padded knees and vented crotch area should be pretty nice. I have a friend who swears by normal Flecktarn pants, and these are basically an upgraded version of them, so these should be really nice as well.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:26 PM   #29 (permalink)
Sh*t, I'm a mod?

Fan of EMR
Brass and Wood Fan
Why do you wear a foam cup? How do you wear one? as a tiny fez?

hehehe
Riverside Renegade Paintball / C.C. S.V.S. Plankowner - LPPC#6
TeamADW.com - Maker of Jeep ThingsOld Timer Feedback
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:26 PM   #30 (permalink)
Traded guns for cameras

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
I've never seen the appeal of paintball specific gloves with the prices they charge. If you can pick up last years model for $10-15 great, but in general they're $30-40 a pair and offer no real advantage over some cheap mechanix gloves.

For indoor: Pants do help, I bought some closeout 06 Empires last year and they've held up great, nice to have some zippered pockets and a squeegee slot as well. I wasn't planning on a jersey, but I picked up one for $15 from firstcallpaintball and I'm actually impressed; it wipes clean rather easily (after the game), and breathes really well. No way I'd pay $50+ for one though.

Outdoor I've always just borrowed camo from the field, as most here included it in the "your own gear" pricing. I think I might pick up some of the Smokin' ones though, they do look nice.
Frink is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport