mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 11-08-2019, 12:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

I don't know and (almost) too embarrassed to ask

Two questions about things guys get excited about but not quite sure why.
1a) Why Leland 12g over other brands? What makes one brand stand out from others?
1b) Anything in particular I should be doing to the 12g to increase performance? I've seen things about putting a drop of lube on the face to keep the seal around the pierce pin fresh but don't know if that is just a myth like freezing paintballs.
2) What makes brass or other metals better than aluminum for barrels/bodies/inserts? Definitely a following of old brass guns like PGP here but I also see titanium or brass freak inserts mentioned occasionally. There a reason for these besides MCB eclecticness?
somethingbenign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Corpses Eaten: 0

Fan of EMR
1a) Why Leland 12g over other brands? What makes one brand stand out from others?

Consistent size and fill volume. Some of the other brands are known to be inconsistent in length, which can be a pita for certain changers. Also, crossmann and daisy are known to have a lot of duds, and to a lesser extent, the occasion 12ie filled with thick black sludge.

1b) Anything in particular I should be doing to the 12g to increase performance? I've seen things about putting a drop of lube on the face to keep the seal around the pierce pin fresh but don't know if that is just a myth like freezing paintballs.

Most 12ies have oil added. This is likely where the sludge in crossmann and daisy I mentioned comes from. But unless you are buying food grade, they should have some light oil in them. but if you oil your gun its nto necessary anyway.
The best performance advice is to try to keep them warmand shoot a little slower when its cold.

2) What makes brass or other metals better than aluminum for barrels/bodies/inserts? Definitely a following of old brass guns like PGP here but I also see titanium or brass freak inserts mentioned occasionally. There a reason for these besides MCB eclecticness?

Cooefficient of friction, although the real world benefits are likely negligible. The COF of gelatin to brass is lower than other metals like aluminium. But mostly its the nostalgia, and the fact that the style of play is so damn fun.

My $0.02 and change anyway

The day I tried to live
I wallowed in the blood and mud with All the other pigs
Singing One more time around
Might do it
One more time around
Might make it

Soundgarden
RIP Mr. Cornell. thank you.

My Feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...3932#post13932
Chappy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
THE Green Modster

Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

CCM Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
Chappy is right on the money as usual. That said Lelands are shorter than some other brands by just a little. This could cause slight leaks in some changers.

Brass is over rated. Nelsons RULE!
Stock class = https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...ml#post2063667

Master Jar Jar

Last edited by Greenmtnphantom; 11-08-2019 at 12:16 PM.
Greenmtnphantom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
Cooefficient of friction, although the real world benefits are likely negligible. The COF of gelatin to brass is lower than other metals like aluminium. But mostly its the nostalgia, and the fact that the style of play is so damn fun.
Also, part of the nostalgia is the sound. Brass sounds different to start with, then the tube stack and valve setup alters it a bit.

The sludge in Daisy and Crossman 12gs is so dirty and inconsistent that I have to believe it is compressor lube carry-over, as opposed to anything added for the end user.

The other quality problem you can find is the hole in the neck is off center. It's not a problem on retracting puncture pins, but the large, fixed cone pins hit the edge and keep the 12g cocked to the side where they will never seal, no matter how tight you set them. I think some of the "duds" just leak down slowly, whereas the 12gs before and after them sealed.

The length problem is very noticeable in the cam operated changers with fixed puncture pins, like the PT extreme levers. The variation in cartridge length is greater than the amount of crush you can apply to the seal.

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Those are exactly the answers I was expecting but never got 100% clarified by just lurking on other threads. Thanks guys. If I'm not willing to spring for Leland's what is a good second or third place option? Picked up "true" stock class last year and would like something better than crossman.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Corpses Eaten: 0

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider! View Post
Also, part of the nostalgia is the sound. Brass sounds different to start with, then the tube stack and valve setup alters it a bit.
Truth. Around here the pgp games are called “click clack bloop” days for that wonderful reason

The day I tried to live
I wallowed in the blood and mud with All the other pigs
Singing One more time around
Might do it
One more time around
Might make it

Soundgarden
RIP Mr. Cornell. thank you.

My Feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...3932#post13932
Chappy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 03:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingbenign View Post
Those are exactly the answers I was expecting but never got 100% clarified by just lurking on other threads. Thanks guys. If I'm not willing to spring for Leland's what is a good second or third place option? Picked up "true" stock class last year and would like something better than crossman.
Just spring for the Lelands (Special Forces) they are pretty easy to find and the cheaper ones are not worth the hassle for the little money you save on the purchase. I usually buy 250-500 at a time, they keep forever. If you buy in bulk you can get them for $0.50-$0.60 ea.

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

My Pyre #PY008 RF Oak Grendel's Feedback on MCB Pyre Serial Number List
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Plays on the cheap

OP- I've always wondered these things too. This is a good post. Thanks for posting this.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

Well glaman, what other things would you like to know? This would be the place to ask those embarrassing questions.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
Plays on the cheap

I've been able to sift through most of the MCB eclecticness you mentioned and have found most of the markers/setups I like, but these were actually the two main ones I've always wondered about but never asked about since buying my Phantom last fall (using stock barrel w/anti-rollout fingers and Crossmans). I'll post up if I can think of anything else.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport