mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 01-02-2020, 09:28 AM   #11 (permalink)
Welcome home

Kilt Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawneebear View Post
Well my worry with cockers is I don't know what pump kits are good or how do identify them.
Nearly all of the higher end pump kits are great. Slice, ID and CCM are all great. The Vendetta-style WGP kits from PB Gateway are really solid too.

If you're just getting into pump I recommend getting a cocker-style pump with an open class feed. IMO it's the easiest transition from 'normal' paintball to pump paintball in terms of feel and gun operation.

I don't love the Empire Snipers personally, but for the price and performance they're a great option for getting into pump. If you'd rather buy and be done with it I'd say go for that, otherwise building your own sniper is easy and rewarding. I wouldn't drop the cash on a CCM until you've decided that pump is something you really want to dive into, especially considering the used CCM market is up right now.
Old 01-02-2020, 01:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
MCB Member

I would also say avoid the empire sniper. The pump stroke on mine was crap. I've worked out some of bugs and it's a little better but still not smooth. I also do not really like the trigger. It has no feel. Just kind of mushy. I would recommend buying a used cocker pump that has already been used and broken in. Just to avoid any frustration while getting in to the play style.
Carlito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 01:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
Welcome home

Kilt Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito View Post
I would recommend buying a used cocker pump that has already been used and broken in. Just to avoid any frustration while getting in to the play style.
Agreed. If you don't have to have all the bells & whistles (halfblock, clamping, A/T, etc) then you're much better off with a WGP-based sniper.
Old 01-02-2020, 01:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
Chuck E Ducky

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawneebear View Post
Whats the equivalent to a XLS, DSR, CS1, 160R in the pump world?
I would say CCM or Inception makes the best Sniper platform out of the box. Auto Trigger will help you transition from semi to pump play easy.

I really like the Phantom it works for all styles of pump play very well and can be converted very easy with very little tools. They are also super simple and reliable.

The CCI phantom is not fast shooter like an open class CCM or Inception tho. (pump stroke is stiffer) but its a great all-round pump.

If you are just looking for something nice and cheap the KP3 is a great pump. I have a teammate that won one in a tournament a few weekends ago that will let one go for like $200 its NIB

Last edited by Mr Idiot Box; 01-02-2020 at 01:41 PM.
Mr Idiot Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 02:11 PM   #15 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCI Phantom Fan
The two I commonly suggest for players looking to get into pump play are the CCI Phantom and Azodin KP3.5

Both are reasonably priced, simple, and have always been "pick up and go" options for me. They may not have as nice of fit and finish like CCMs but they throw paint with the best of em.

I hear mixed feedback for the empire sniper, I didnt have any issues with the one I used but wasnt fond of it in the end and kept playing with the KP3.

If you find that you like open class pump play, pick up an Inception pump and call it a day.
paintzapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 02:12 PM   #16 (permalink)
Welcome home

Kilt Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Idiot Box View Post
Auto Trigger
ewwwwwwwwwwwww
Old 01-02-2020, 02:30 PM   #17 (permalink)
Super Legit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito View Post
I would also say avoid the empire sniper. .
Everyone else is saying to go for it.

No, it's not the perfect pump, but it is solid and a good starting point. Anything you see as a problem can be upgraded.

^^^ If you are new to the sport and need help finding gear, click here!!!^^^

feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Trbo323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 02:36 PM   #18 (permalink)
official c.a.

I did not like my empire sniper. TBH I actually preferred my KP3, and I would recommend that for someone wanting to get into pump. It's cheap, never gave me issues, and performed well. However, I sold both. I currently, run wgp based snipers. It is my favorite platform. I would also say try pump without auto trigger. You may think you need it to help with the transition or keep up, but I think you'd have more fun without it!- but that's just me...
cedartele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 02:39 PM   #19 (permalink)
MCD Member

Get pretty much any cocker with a CCM dual rod pump kit and a clamping feedneck, and you should be safe. Not that the other pump kit aren't good, but guns with CCM kits should be really easy to find. I would recommend just getting an actual CCM if you have the money. It'll most likely retain it's value and you won't be second guessing your gun.

Did you end up buying the one that you found that wasn't working correctly? Whatever the problem is, it's probably fairly easy to correct.
Old 01-02-2020, 03:25 PM   #20 (permalink)
sometimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankW View Post
Get pretty much any cocker with a CCM dual rod pump kit and a clamping feedneck, and you should be safe. Not that the other pump kit aren't good, but guns with CCM kits should be really easy to find. I would recommend just getting an actual CCM if you have the money. It'll most likely retain it's value and you won't be second guessing your gun.

Did you end up buying the one that you found that wasn't working correctly? Whatever the problem is, it's probably fairly easy to correct.
I did and had issues out of it don't have a pressure tester, needs a rebuild, don't have the torx 10 the marker gave me nothing but issues. Couldn't break it down because the Torx 10 I bought was cheap and literally just bent the Torx 10. After that I gave up unfortunately I sold it to El Gringo supposed to meet with him today. I don't think the T2 was ever cleaned and maintained the way a marker should be. I tested it and seemed fine... Until I took it to a field and it kept chopping needs a detent and pump spring rod. It honestly was fun for 3 shots and then double feed or chop and velocity was all over.

Long story short bad experience with a used not taken care of T2 since I was unable to resolve I offered to return to the seller or sell to someone who was aware of the issues and confident in fixing them. So I sold it for 425 not really happy with outcome because I wanted to play with it and the few shots after every double feed and chop was fun. However if your in a big battles situation and it ruins a couple of 10 minute games for you on your first go. Obviously I couldn't fix it so went back to my electros. Didn't have an issue the rest of the day.

Took it home watched all the videos tried to tune it without a pressure tester results the same chops and inconsistent velocity. I honestly said f it and I'll just buy something that's working. Rare for me to give up but the hours of aggravation with this marker with the same results turned me off of it.

One disadvantage I do see with something like a T2 is to my understanding you can't convert it to a pnuematic mech so cockers have that going for them atleast. However if trying to do that I'll most likely run into the same tech issues as I haven't tried to time or mess with a cocker since 06.

Sorry for the book this is the first marker I ran into I was unable to resolve and break down out of a lot of rebuilds on various markers including bobs where I had the pressure tester. If I had the correct T10 tool a pressure tester setup and some more patience I'm sure it would have been fine. However I didn't want to dump more money into it get the pin for the asa that the guy lost spring kit valve tool and t10 tool just to be 600 into a marker I just bought. If that makes any sense, had I known all of this from the start with better pictures and more than 3 shots with a reball that was inconsistent but figured oh it's just the reball. Then I wouldn't have purchased or wasted my time.

So instead of going in blind this time wanted some information from a community that could really give me better insight and understanding as to what I should look for and stay away from. So I could have a better experience, this thread came from purchasing a marker I thought needed nothing but an asa pin turned into a 2 week headache.

End rant / explanation lol
shawneebear is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport