mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 03-09-2008, 05:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Playing with a fistula?

My wife wants to play in a up coming game but has kidney failure and has a fistula in her left forearm. She asked her Dr. but hasn't heard back yet. Has anyone ever played while on Diaylsis? Or knows how to make a shield that will protect her arm? She can't have anything wrapped around the arm or it could clot. I was thinking maybe a shin guard hot glued to the inside of her sleeve?
Sarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

A child's shin guard or even a couple layers of corrugated cardboard (wrapped in a sock or something) in the right shape would probably work fine. I'd use an Ace bandage to attach it to her arm rather than attaching it to the jersey sleeve. Also, a bandaid or some other bandage to protect the puncture sites with scabs on them would not be a bad idea. Ask at the dialysis center, the staff is there more than the doctors and they probably give advice on fistula protection or have heard about solutions from other active patients.

Feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Mr. Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 10:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

Sarvan,
I asked my wife about this. She worked for several years in dialysis centers.
The shin guard would work but not attached to the sleeve... too great of a chance of slipping out of place and causing a problem. If you can find one that is close to the size of her arm and place some dense foam on the top and bottom edge (the curved part) where it will hold the guard away from her arm and not rub, then with elastic or Velcro straps or an Ace bandage attach it to her arm so it will not slip would be best. Also she said be very careful about the heat and watch her liquid intake as they are limited on how much they can consume. Oh and she said tell her to have fun and be safe. Also please let the ref's and any medical staff at the event know her situation, it helps us be better prepared in the event there is trouble.

My FS Listing
Misc bits-

My feed back:
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=1021

Carter's Commando Texas Division:
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/c...-division.html

Last edited by Crash; 03-09-2008 at 10:25 PM.
Crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Thanks for the quick answers and ideas! The foam sounds like a good idea, I know she isn't suppossed to have anything that restricts circulation, so that's why I thought of attaching it to the sleeve at first. With some foam, I think we'll be able to make kinda like a tent that covers the vien from being hit, but does not apply any pressure to the inside of the forearm.

We'll be playing in a local scenario next weekend, and it's already started to get warm (high 70's) here in the Central Valley (CA). That will let her wear short sleeves if she feels like it. I think she is planning on only staying for about the first half of the day.

Thanks again guys!
Old 03-10-2008, 03:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

Good luck and hope she has fun!

My FS Listing
Misc bits-

My feed back:
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=1021

Carter's Commando Texas Division:
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/c...-division.html
Crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 04:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Sh*t, I'm a mod?

Fan of EMR
Brass and Wood Fan
Where abouts on her arm is it? Maybe make up some sort of plastic that is supported part by the gun, or a glove?
Riverside Renegade Paintball / C.C. S.V.S. Plankowner - LPPC#6
TeamADW.com - Maker of Jeep ThingsOld Timer Feedback
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 04:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rec Poster

It basicly runs the length of the inner left forearm, from just past the wrist to just before the elbow. She has 2 more days of dialysis this week (weds and fri) so I'll work something up before then. That way, she can take it in and let the nurses have a look at it, to see if it looks ok.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Sh*t, I'm a mod?

Fan of EMR
Brass and Wood Fan
If you come up with something, post a pic here if you dont mind.

Never know if it will come in handy.
Riverside Renegade Paintball / C.C. S.V.S. Plankowner - LPPC#6
TeamADW.com - Maker of Jeep ThingsOld Timer Feedback
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 04:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Sir Brass

I'd also let the event coordinators know beforehand about her condition. That way, the other players she'll be playing with and against will have some forewarning. On the field, though, they may not know it's her and of course not see where they're shooting, but at least they won't be clueless as to what's going on if something goes wrong.

I hope NOTHING goes wrong. And props on her determination to still play !
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a may lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frink View Post
I just love being able to kill absolutely every living thing in a small room, including myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger[TG] View Post
We have a conscience, Carter be thy name.

Proud owner of:
Palmer's aluminum + brass...... two of 'em <3
Oh....and some mags too
Sir Brass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 04:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

hmm...

if you can get your hands on some HDPE (think big 55gallon plastic barrel) that kind of plastic can be bent after a treatment in the oven. If you're stuck for a pattern an "archery arm guard" or a medieval vambrace pattern would be good places to start.

you can then strap it on with duct tape (if it's going to be a temporary thing) or you can always strap it up with some nylon strapping and quick buckles (plastic buckels sometimes found on knapsacks). or, better yet (and if you can find the right type of glue and have some patience...) take a long roll of 'tensor' type bandage and use two or three strips of that, cut it off, use either a Barge or Contact cement to atach it in place and maybealso use a 1/8" drill bit and some heavy thread to lace it into place after gluing. if done properly, it will gently but firmly hold the guard in place without letting it move around, nor hampering circulation.

the advantage to using HDPE is that it is highly shock-resistant, it's light, and you can line the sucker with standard closed cell foam (best aquired by slicing up a 'foam sleeping pad' for camping (they are blue or grey and found at walmart)

By correctly installing the foam padding, you can provide a standoff between the area that needs the most protection and the guard, it also allows you to ensure propper circulation through the area

Walking_Target is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport