mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 03-22-2008, 02:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Un Tico

Auto cocker advice please.

hey guys thanks for taking the time to read, any input you can give will be greatly appreciated.

I have been playing paintball for a year or two now. mostly using mechs or electros. recently i been reading and checking into pumps. seems like something i want to get into, i like more woodsball so it be right up my alley.

well anyways my questions is this. I have two autocockers, first one is a wgp. works great, solid gun. never lets me down, really great gun. now i understand that most cockers you can be turn into pumps, some easy others a few steps. I did buy it used, so i dont know what year it is. since this would be my first time playing or doing any mods what so ever. how do i find out if mine is one of the easy ones to change over to pump?

the other is a Generation X cocker, I got this on on a trade with other working stuff. this one does not work, no front end, 3way. just pretty much regulator, body, grip and bolt. all are in good condition, really nice looking gun. I did take this in to a shop at one time to get it worked on, they pretty much replaced everthing on the gun. bolt, front end, 3way, rods, i mean everything but the body and grip. this still did not get the gun to work at all. so i am wondering, would changing this over to a pump be easy and would i have a working marker then just a pretty paper weight? sorry this got so long but thank you for your time and advice.
Joker
C_losjoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 02:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

with a Gen X, add a CCM pump kit and you should be golden.

that is all.
Walking_Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 06:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

yeah, post a pic of the bodies and we can tell you which kit to buy to make either one a pump.

this is sort of the holy-grail of pump kit reviews.

putting a kit on either gun is easy - you just pull the front block, cocking rod and actuating rod and slap the pump kit on there. Should take you about 10 minutes.

you've come to the right place.

yeah, and tell us more about the gen-x I'm sure it's a pretty simple fix. Sadly, finding people who can actually work on cockers and automags is getting harder in the proshops.
brycelarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 09:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mar
pwisan

Brass and Wood Fan
Hey, if you want an amazing resource please check TF's 'Pump-kit ROundup' It rates all the major pump kits, with detailed reviews, installation instructions, and great photos.

Pumpenstein Pump Kit Roundup
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 10:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

I hope you didn't pay that shop anything to not fix your cocker. What kind of paintball shop worth its salt can't fix a cocker?

That said, it should be possible to turn any cocker into a pump. If you post pics of your older cocker, it will take about 30 seconds for someone on MCB to tell you its make, model, and year of manufacture.
sdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 05:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Un Tico

hey guys, me again. thanks again for all the feed back. Jordan, yeah dont know why. but the GenX, when i got it I aired it up. was leaking out of the 3way. took it apart and the rod in there was bent. took it in, had two dif ppl work on it. replaced everything pretty much the front block, the 3way, rods. they aired it up, shot for 10 rounds, then stoped. the bolt was replaced workd couple more time and then stoped.

brycelarson, yeah i am totally glad i ran into this web site. since i found it i been on here every day since, overload but i keep on reading and looking around. and totally agree with you, finding ppl that work on cockers out there and really know them is hard. couple of shops i called and talk actually stoped working on them all together wondt touch them any more.

Mar awesome, thanks for the link.

Sdawg, they actually did not charge me one penny for labor of hours they worked on it. or for the parts that they tried out and put on the GenX, really cool guys. spent so many hours on it, so close to getting it working only to stop again.

For some reason I could not load up pictures on here. below is a link to pictures where I uploaded them. Hope I am not violating or crossing posting rules. Let me know if they work and what other advice you guys can give. Again guys thank you very much for all your help and advice.

https://www.shutterfly.com/add/upload...441&CP=TestU+2
c_losjoker/Cocker - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Last edited by C_losjoker; 03-23-2008 at 06:48 AM.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Un Tico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
What do you mean, the GenX doesn't work? Cockers are a pretty simple design, despite what some people want to think.

Without knowing what's wrong with the GenX, I couldn't tell you if making it a pump will make it work.

Assuming that both Cockers are based around a stock WGP body, it's as easy as buying the right pump kit, unbolting the pneumatics, and bolting on the pump kit.

Just make sure you get the right pump kit - there's a difference in the Cockers built before 2000 and after 2000.

Jordan

thanks again for your feedback, check out the pics on the links and let me know what you think.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by brycelarson View Post
this is sort of the holy-grail of pump kit reviews.
oops, forgot to link - but Mar took care of it.

I agree with the suggestion - drop a pump kit on the Gen-X. I'm sure we could help troubleshoot it for you, but if you're leaning to the pump, then you don't need to worry about leaks / timing or anything else with the front end.

As long as the valve is good - you're ready to pump it up.

both guns are post 2k - so will use the 2k pump kits. I've got a pro-stock like your copper colored one - mine's read, but it made a slick pump. If that one works as a mechanical - I would keep it that way. If the purple one isn't working as a mech - then hell yeah, drop a kit on it.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Hold up - I'm pretty sure that GenX is pre-2K. Check out the body.

Jordan
you sure? I thought it looked 2k.

one way to find out -

C_losjoker - what's the serial # on the Gen-X?
Old 03-23-2008, 01:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Un Tico

Quote:
Well, the pictures didn't tell me much - couldn't see much of the gun, really.
Considering that most of the GenX front block isn't there, I would suggest that you make that a pump. Less stuff for you to take off.

Given that your GenX doesn't seem to leak down the barrel, it seems to be the best candidate for the pump conversion, considering that most of the GenX front block isn't there.

I'm unsure of why your front block is set up like that on the stocker - any reason why?

Sounds like the shop you took your Cockers to doesn't know what they're doing.

Jordan

Jordan,

I have no idea why gun is set up the way it is. I did buy it used, thats how it was set up. I have not changed anything on it at all, really my first real quality gun.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport