mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 03-25-2008, 10:09 PM   #11 (permalink)

I have worked in paintball for nearly 10 years now from local fields to gun manufacturers. I have to say Smart parts has treated me better than all my previous jobs and I dont even work for them beyond teching and showing up at events.

From free guns and games to hotels and even picking up bar tabs, they have shown me more love than all others COMBINED. If it weren't for their kindness I basically couldn't even afford to play these days. I just thought someone should hear the other side because I used to hate on them too.
kutulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutulu View Post
I have worked in paintball for nearly 10 years now from local fields to gun manufacturers. I have to say Smart parts has treated me better than all my previous jobs and I dont even work for them beyond teching and showing up at events.

From free guns and games to hotels and even picking up bar tabs, they have shown me more love than all others COMBINED. If it weren't for their kindness I basically couldn't even afford to play these days. I just thought someone should hear the other side because I used to hate on them too.
I'm guessing you work at a large store. Smaller stores have been screwed and screwed again by their MSRP-drops (conveniently mere hours after selling stock to non-chain stores at full price, and immediately before bulk sales to large chains) and the lies told by representatives.
A.C. Basbas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:27 PM   #13 (permalink)

No, i'm a freelance graphic artist now. But i used to work at Kapp and a small store in Ct.

If you're having trouble with a sales rep hit me with a pm. I pull some weight over there and know most of em... maybe i can help
kutulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:45 PM   #14 (permalink)
Thick

Send a message via AIM to HurtCow

CCM Fan
PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.C. Basbas View Post
Bull.
I'm thinking he's referring to that they're inhibiting innovation by stealing pre-existing ideas and patenting them as their own.

In my copy of the Complete Guide to Paintball (co-written by Steve Davidson), there's an interview with the Gardner bros where they spew crap about how their 'innovative' spiral-ported barrels actually spin the ball, and make it fly more consistantly, flatter and farther.

If I hurt your feelings or otherwise offended you, click here.
HurtCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:15 PM   #15 (permalink)

I owe Smart Parts a lot of thanks. They support our club and their gear is top notch in my opinion. And their barrels...the best I have ever shot.

And they make my "smiley barrels" and they take care of me, the little guy.
I have no complaints.

Smiley
infamoussmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:40 PM   #16 (permalink)
Not Popular

smart parts is the reason why every gun since 04 is exactly the same as the previous years.

they killed any innovation in the sport.
Cockerpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:24 AM   #17 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
smart parts is the reason why every gun since 04 is exactly the same as the previous years.

they killed any innovation in the sport.
I don't agree with that. All technology reaches a point where innovation stops and refinement becomes the goal. Look at automobiles, aviation, computers, just about anything with technology in it and you'll see that there are certain milestones and then years of refinement before a new milestone is reached. Paintball markers and loaders are in a refinement stage right now. Sooner or later a whizbang new invention will come about and the revolution will begin again. Smart Parts doesn't stop anyone from doing anything, they just make them pay royalties before they do it.

Feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Mr. Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:34 AM   #18 (permalink)
Formerly DeTrevni

I was turned off of Smart Parts during the SFT era. Do you know what SFT stands for? "Seal-Forward Technology." That's Smart Parts' recent (not latest) "innovation" to the paintball industry. You know what it does? It magically seals the bolt into the barrel before it shoots, increasing accuracy and efficiency. >.> Now here's the kicker: EVERY GUN I'VE EVER SHOT DOES THAT. I love marketing.

HOWEVER, I will admit, I have always wanted an Ion even since before everyone and their mother AND brother owned one. Neat little markers and cheap to tinker with. Also, I love the way "SFT" Shockers look, and wouldn't mind owning one.

Magoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:38 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeTrevni View Post
I was turned off of Smart Parts during the SFT era. Do you know what SFT stands for? "Seal-Forward Technology." That's Smart Parts' recent (not latest) "innovation" to the paintball industry. You know what it does? It magically seals the bolt into the barrel before it shoots, increasing accuracy and efficiency. >.> Now here's the kicker: EVERY GUN I'VE EVER SHOT DOES THAT. I love marketing.
Yeah, but I mean WGP has the whole "Most Accurate Marker in the World" because it's closed bolt. I think we all know how that goes.
PhileyOFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:44 AM   #20 (permalink)
Old gear!

For starters, suing ICD while Jerry Dobbins was sick is the story I've heard over and over. He wasn't around, they couldn't front cash for the lawyers cuz Jerry was paying medical bills, and SP rolls right in with a lawsuit over a patent they have no right to. PVI did the design, SP bankrupt PVI and then bought em up... just ugly when you get down to the details.

And don't forget, the Gardner bros. were first players on the All-Americans. Sponsored by AGD. Who'd they threaten with legal action recently? AGD. Who no longer makes E-mags and X-mags? AGD.

Shockers were made from 2011, which is a rather malleable aluminum alloy, because SP overextended themselves and water to machine the guns at a more rapid rate, hence the use of "alumi-butter" instead of 6061-T6 or 7075 or some higher quality alloy. Don't drop your Shockers, or try to get them re-ano'ed!

But my personal least favorite business practice of theirs is the after-fact patent revision. They acquired several patents that choke off major developments, especially the use of ANY electronic triggering/ switching mechanism in a paintball gun. When the patent was finally formulated/ granted/ whatever, the B2K and Angel LED were both already on the market, and it wasn't long before E-mags, Matrices, E-cockers, E-spyders, and the rest joined the crowd.

However, I gotta agree with Mr Furious. I think the only "major" advancements in paintball as of late have been rather minor, or not affected by the SP issue. Spool valved guns developed after the patent, and became a big deal. The Droid is a big deal, in that it's a bit different from the standard Trix/ Ion designs, with a few spools going. The Intimidator was a nice spin on the B2K, and the FASOR system (Diadem, Legend, Fusion, etc) was a nice move in a slightly different direction, but neither was so revolutionary. Photoeyes are a great big deal, but not really marker design, just circuit design. And... I think that's it. Spool valve guns, e-boards, and variations on the lower tube ram are all that's happened since 1997. Of course, force-feed loaders and screw-in HPA tanks have altered the game quite a bit, but SP doesn't have their claws there.
flyweightnate is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport