mcarterbrown.com  

Outlaw / Private Fields Playing paintball in your backyard or other non-business run field

Old 04-28-2011, 01:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
The correct way for a fill station would be to run a regulated setup like this.
Amazon.com: PSI Nitrogen Fill Station: Sports & Outdoors
You set the reg to 4500 or whatever and open the valve until airflow stops.

An economical(but potentially dangerous) way would be just to have a CGA connector and the QD connector. Have the paintball tank connect straight to the nitrogen cylinder. Slowly open the cylinder valve and stop when you reach desired fill in the tank. You will need to keep a watchful eye to make sure you don't overfill. There used to be a proshop near me that filled this way. The guy said he did blow burst disks from time to time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by onecaribou View Post
Another option to look at - what about a booster and a small (shop style) compressor to "stretch-out" SCUBA, bulk tank fills.
I have a SCUBA/gas booster setup(WGP megabooster) The booster does stretch out the fills but it may not be enough for you guys. With the booster I can fill 7 88/4500's from empty on one SCUBA. With a crowd of about 10 guys (mixed pump and semi) and if they show up completely full. We will go through 1 1/2 tanks in one day. You will also need to buy a big or at least a good air compressor. If you use a small 2 gallon deal, it will run almost constantly, so if its a cheap one, you may burn out the compressor. If you decide to bootstrap, it will cut down on tanks you can fill to about half, maybe more. That little booster you posted is not as efficient as a dual action booster.

Last edited by ta2maki; 04-28-2011 at 01:19 PM.
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
questions

how many 45ci fills can you get off a 505 cuft tank @ 6000psi at 2500psi/fill?

P1 X V1=P2 X V2

6000psi X 505cuf X 1,728 cui/cuf = 2500psi X V2

total volume of 2500psi fills = 2094336 cui's or 46540 45cui fills!(This is wrong) Are you sure you are getting a 505 cu ft tank? That is a really big tank, like home propane sized or the size of a small shed.

the more reasonable 6000psi 50 cu-ft tank would net you 4608 45cu-i fills at 2500psi(This is wrong)

Last edited by the_chemist; 04-28-2011 at 01:38 PM.
the_chemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Post all the things!

CCM Fan
You left some math out there, the regulator for that nitro tank is gonna run you around 200 dollars. Also I used to fill from nitro tanks in the shop I ran and believe me, you will love yourself a lot more just sticking to scuba tanks. Dollar for dollar is a lot less hassle, a lot easier to move and a lot more profitable. If you are getting nitro tanks for $65 a fill thats a silly deal. In Pensacola Florida airgas ran us $120 for a 6k tank per fill plus 100 dollar a year rental. We had to charge 5 dollars per tank to fill to 3k just to break even on it basically and that only netted about 25 full fills if i recall correctly and about 40 fills in all counting partials down to about 2k.

Nitro tanks imo are like throwing your money away, scubas are the way to go and I think if you count up the math you could spend the difference on buying a compressor for your scubas.

EDIT
Oh and for weight.. those tanks are ridiculously heavy. You need a dolly at minimum to move them and even then they are so tall and heavy it sucks to move them. This again is a complete pro for scuba tanks as you can easily move two of those at a time across a room without much strength at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbthebenji View Post
I'll be munching on this box for months!
tencent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
Post Whore

I messed up the math too! You need to subtract the tank from the total volume! I will be back
Old 04-28-2011, 01:49 PM   #15 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_chemist View Post
P1 X V1=P2 X V2

6000psi X 505cuf X 1,728 cui/cuf = 2500psi X V2

total volume of 2500psi fills = 2094336 cui's or 46540 45cui fills!(This is wrong) Are you sure you are getting a 505 cu ft tank? That is a really big tank, like home propane sized or the size of a small shed.

the more reasonable 6000psi 50 cu-ft tank would net you 4608 45cu-i fills at 2500psi(This is wrong)
The size of those cylinders are measured by how much uncompressed air they can hold. So I think you would have to enter 14.5psi
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 02:10 PM   #16 (permalink)
Post Whore

I didn't know that! Cool, the only nitrogen tanks I have used are liquid nitrogen

Around 65 2500psi 45 cu-i fills then.

math if you want it!

14.5psi X 505cu-f X 1728 cu-i/cu-f divided by 6000 psi = 2108.8 cu-i

(((2108.8 cu-i X 6000psi)/2500psi) - 2108.8 cu-i(the tank)) / 45 cu-i = 65 fills

Last edited by the_chemist; 04-28-2011 at 06:26 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:39 PM   #17 (permalink)

Don't for get that regulator to get that 6k down to where you want it that piece is high dollar i got one if you need to borrow it Thumper
Old 04-28-2011, 10:48 PM   #18 (permalink)
LT.
Seasoned Member

Kilt Club
Ok my team has 6 6000 psi tanks yes 6 there's 30 of us filling off them. It's the only way to go. Now all we.need is a bigger compressor. As we can only fill to 4800. They don't weight 500 pounds. If they did the Ford ranger wouldnt haul 3 of them to other private games. It's a long term benefit having your own bulk tank.
LT. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:00 PM   #19 (permalink)
Five four three two one

LT. - how did you guys handle sharing the expense of your setup? Does everyone bring a few $ each time they play? or did you guys pool money up front?
onecaribou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:06 AM   #20 (permalink)
LT.
Seasoned Member

Kilt Club
Well I don't own any of it the team capt.field owners do. We are outlaw/private style. Field has a lic. Insure. And so on

THE WALKONS-SCENARIO PAINTBALL TEAM - Home
LT. is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Outlaw / Private Fields