mcarterbrown.com  

Outlaw / Private Fields Playing paintball in your backyard or other non-business run field

Old 05-06-2011, 07:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Deluxe super psychedelic

Brass and Wood Fan
getting your field on the map....

so in case peole didn't know, Google recently released its answer the USGS national map: Google Map Maker

basically its a GIS that is editable by the public and any updates made to it that are approved by google end up on google maps itself. the spririt behind it is that local people of course have the best knowledge of where things are located and are more qualified to place things on the map. for example, for years my favorite resturant in my home-town has been in the wrong place but with the advent of mapmaker I was able to move it to the correct location.

all this is nice, but a few days ago I decided to give something a try. I labled our home field and after a few days I got an email back from google saying that it had been approved:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This now comes up on google maps when you search for "River Rats Paintball" or something to that effect.

I tried this because I was unsure that the editors would accept my edit. They did, so my reading on this is that they will accept things like outlaw paintball fields because they may be a little unsure as to if they are legitimate businesses or not. thats fine for those of us who may want to invite new people to our field and want the new people to be able to easily find it.

Just a heads up!

P.s. if you are uncomfortable trying to use the application yourself just pm me and I can try to get it onto the map for you (I'm a GIS student now so I know my way around these platforms fairly well)

Photo blog: https://bluemorocco.blogspot.com/
If you are straight with me, I am straight with you : https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Created by Shade, stolen from foughtwolf's sig
Quote:
Originally Posted by splatmaster12 View Post
If I didn't play pump I wouldn't play, simple as that.
wrongbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Heart of a Sheridan!

Brass and Wood Fan
Fantastic! This should come in handy.

Thanks man.

Ti
PAINTBALL GUY 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
pump snob

From an outlaw / private field perspective I see a problem w/ this.

Private fields have the unique ability to invite folks to play - as opposed to places that are open to the public. One of the "keys" to being invited is knowing when and where the group meets - meaning time and address or directions. Once the address starts getting advertised and posted in public I can see strangers showing up uninvited, possibly unwelcome, thinking the place was in fact a public field and open to the public.

IMO: private fields: If you want to stay private, keep the address and directions restricted to PMs and behind closed doors. e.g., closely held.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Deluxe super psychedelic

Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
From an outlaw / private field perspective I see a problem w/ this.

Private fields have the unique ability to invite folks to play - as opposed to places that are open to the public. One of the "keys" to being invited is knowing when and where the group meets - meaning time and address or directions. Once the address starts getting advertised and posted in public I can see strangers showing up uninvited, possibly unwelcome, thinking the place was in fact a public field and open to the public.

IMO: private fields: If you want to stay private, keep the address and directions restricted to PMs and behind closed doors. e.g., closely held.
Agreed, our situation is unique as we are the only lg group in the area, I'm pretty sure it's us keeping the sport going in our town more than anything. B/c of that we are pretty open and are always encouraging new ppl to come out.

If you are straight with me, I am straight with you : https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Quote:
Old 05-09-2011, 06:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
E-Tac Operator =

When you create a "place" like this with Google Map Maker, there are a lot of options. First and foremost, I would label it as a "Private Field" instead of just "home field" to deter strangers showing up for a game. Also, in the options, you can set such things as 'business hours of operation' with one of the options being something like 'business hours are not applicable or should not be known'.

If I recall correctly, there's also a field where you can type in your own details, where you could include the phrase "Games Scheduled By Invite Only - Prior Permission Required".
Old 05-09-2011, 08:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Deluxe super psychedelic

Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
When you create a "place" like this with Google Map Maker, there are a lot of options. First and foremost, I would label it as a "Private Field" instead of just "home field" to deter strangers showing up for a game. Also, in the options, you can set such things as 'business hours of operation' with one of the options being something like 'business hours are not applicable or should not be known'.

If I recall correctly, there's also a field where you can type in your own details, where you could include the phrase "Games Scheduled By Invite Only - Prior Permission Required".
thanks for the heads up, I may edit it to include that.

Quote:

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Outlaw / Private Fields