mcarterbrown.com  

Outlaw / Private Fields Playing paintball in your backyard or other non-business run field

Old 02-28-2015, 11:08 AM   #21 (permalink)

I was kind of responding to the gentleman's post just up above where he mentioned having a HPA compressor and 9 scuba tanks and a field to take down and set up. I thought that referred to inflatables. That sort of gear would set someone back 4k if not more.

But as to the point of if your playing with the right people you don't need a ref. That's a point of argument. I've seen well seasoned player do silly things without thinking. As for having someone free to move about a field and watch for safety issues, only a ref can do that. No player can ref a game from behind a bunker. Just like no ref can ref properly from outside the net.

If you think an experienced player can never make a mistake let me share this with you. This gentleman, one of the best players I ever saw to work with, really just a great guy on the field! He finished a game and hadn't secured his barrel bag or plug, I looked at him and said hey don't forget plug your barrel. He got silly put the end of his finger in the barrel and said got it covered. I told him not funny do it right. A second later he brushed the trigger against his jersey and the marker went off. His finger tip turned black and he lost the finger nail. It had to hurt. So you never know when someone's judgment will fail.

Groups that could only play with the "right people" would never be able to bring in novice players without great risk to the novice and the others players on field.

Refs are a safety tool that no field should ever be without, it doesn't matter if it's a profit field or just friends getting together for fun. Someone should stand down and watch for the others. You can rotate it and take turns, but their is too much at risk to take the chance.

I had a group of Medical Professionals that stopped in to pick up supplies to play off field. All of these folks were all making 6 figure salaries so money would have been no option. I suggested using the facility and was admonished by being told they were so much better qualified to help someone who might be hurt then I was. It was a bit condescending, but Let me point out, I have to agree they could certainly offer better care then my first aid training could.

But let me ask this which person does you a bigger service. The doctor that puts you back together once you've been hit by a bus. Or the guy on the street corner that grabbed your elbow and prevented you from stepping in front of the bus in the first place.

And that's basically a refs job, is to prevent bad things from happening if possible. It's so hard to weigh their value because if they do their job right nothing ever goes wrong, so it appears you don't need them.

I've seen my staff go out and play on down days and they even drop out a player to use as a ref. They were trained to do what they can to reduce risk, so they understand the possible dangers.

I won't people at risk, but that's just my view.
dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 01:03 PM   #22 (permalink)
Brumski

Send a message via AIM to Melvin

He's talking about playing a game with people he knows on a piece of property either he or someone close to him owns.

Stating that he has to set up a field every time a game is going to be played indicates that he and possibly several others are walking all over the field setting up bunkers. If there were any defects in the bunkers (nails, splinters, etc.) or terrain hazards like gopher holes/broken glass/anthills on the field someone should notice.

I'm all for safety, (and supporting well run commercial fields too), but to say a group of ~10 friends playing outlaw ball NEEDS a ref is like telling me I NEED to wear a life vest because it's raining.

OP loves his commercial field, but he wants a place to take younger players to avoid the ramping/overshooting that's apparently allowed to take place unchecked in games of walk ons/renters.

This is a great example of how one dbag (regardless of what he's shooting) can and will start driving people away from your business because they figure out how to get what they want without having to pay you for it.
Feedback
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...-feedback.html
Paintball
Facebookhttps://www.facebook.com/melvin.brumski

Things I would like to purchase with American dollars:
1: Dragon barrel plugs!

I moved across the country, if you live in Louisiana hit me up!
Melvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 04:52 PM   #23 (permalink)

I'm glad to see some protecting the young players from over shooting. That's what we do here. We have a lot of novice folks and slightly more then novice, but as soon as a player gets a year or so, they seem to go backyard on us.

So we can't put on tourneys or scenarios any more because they are out of touch.

We are a rec. field of tradition ball. What some call woods ball, but we do have a speedball field and 5 theme fields with a village, a castle, an urban field with 15 building to play in and around and 2 firebases made of about 10,000 sandbags. As well as 8 woods fields.

Our average shooter uses 500-700 balls in a day. And they play about 5-6 hours and seem to have a blast. If they rent gear and grab lunch here they might spend 50 bucks in a day. So for use of staff and all 16 fields over the 62 acres I think it's a fair price. But I'd love to get some of the more experienced players back because they helped the novices go the next level. They set examples for the other to follow. Many times a few of these experienced player would grab 5-6 newbies and take them out to face another old timer with a similar group of novices. That helped to bring the young lads along so they weren't afraid of other players or trying a tournament. It was nice. But I don't see that any longer.

That's why I'm trying to find the draw of backyard so I can make changes to bring these guys back. That's why I'm looking to you folks for expertise to solve the mystery!
Old 02-28-2015, 05:16 PM   #24 (permalink)

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchman View Post
I'm glad to see some protecting the young players from over shooting. That's what we do here. We have a lot of novice folks and slightly more then novice, but as soon as a player gets a year or so, they seem to go backyard on us.

So we can't put on tourneys or scenarios any more because they are out of touch.

We are a rec. field of tradition ball. What some call woods ball, but we do have a speedball field and 5 theme fields with a village, a castle, an urban field with 15 building to play in and around and 2 firebases made of about 10,000 sandbags. As well as 8 woods fields.

Our average shooter uses 500-700 balls in a day. And they play about 5-6 hours and seem to have a blast. If they rent gear and grab lunch here they might spend 50 bucks in a day. So for use of staff and all 16 fields over the 62 acres I think it's a fair price. But I'd love to get some of the more experienced players back because they helped the novices go the next level. They set examples for the other to follow. Many times a few of these experienced player would grab 5-6 newbies and take them out to face another old timer with a similar group of novices. That helped to bring the young lads along so they weren't afraid of other players or trying a tournament. It was nice. But I don't see that any longer.

That's why I'm trying to find the draw of backyard so I can make changes to bring these guys back. That's why I'm looking to you folks for expertise to solve the mystery!
If you post a link to your field, we could probably give a more informed answer. But the economy and transient nature of paintball are likely more to blame than outlaw fields.
2hits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:25 PM   #25 (permalink)
MCB Member

The draw of outlaw play is "control", pure and simple.

Most importantly the organizer can control who gets invited (and conversely who doesn't get to come back). This allows them to set the style and level of play.

We have a long-standing outlaw group of mostly pumpers and over time have been able to build up solid core of like-mined individuals that enjoy each other's company. Not to mention the cheaper cost (compared to BYOP fields).

When you play at a commercial field, you cede that control over to management and the refs. And there are numerous threads of how much douche-baggery exists on your standard walk-on day at the commercial fields.

Don't get me wrong, I have a paid membership at one of my local fields and hit it up probably once a month. But I do get tired of the many attitudes and hosefests there. So if it's an option, I prefer to play at our outlaw gatherings instead. And I know I can bring new/inexperienced players there for a proper introduction to safe, sportsmanlike, affordable paintball. I can't always say the same for the commercial fields...

It's like all things in life, you can't generalize. There are going to be some really well run commercial outfits that actively work to prevent overshooting and attitudes inherent in the sport, so kudos to them. And there will be some really unsafe outlaw groups that are one step above anarchy.

But at least with an outlaw field the members/organizer/owner can make the rules and not have to rely on anyone else for the quality of their experience.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:51 PM   #26 (permalink)

Now this is good information. I wish you folks were closer we just pulled our small pump rental fleet off line from lack of use. Tippmann SL 68 II's great marker for rentals in pump games.
We have a sign at the entry to the building that just says "no egos or attitudes beyond this point" We enforce it. Normally we throw 4-8 people a year off the field for bad behavior. We feel everyone has the right to have fun, but no one has the right to stop others from enjoying it. So over shooting, turning your gun up, to close when you shoot goggles can't stay on or wiping paint will end your day real fast here.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:54 AM   #27 (permalink)
Brumski

Does your field have a website? And don't retire the pump rentals. Just keep them out of the way and have a sign to let people know they're around just in case. have a promotion offering incentives for renting the pump.
Feedback
Paintball

Last edited by Melvin; 03-01-2015 at 02:58 AM.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:18 AM   #28 (permalink)

My website is pretty well crippled right now, it looks terrible, I've been on with tech support but had no luck yet, you can check it out at www.flyingfutcvhmanpaintball.net.

The pumps have sat in the rack for 2 years without going out. I had a plan several years ago to replace them. I sent out my Auto mag rentals and got the rails remilled so I could convert them to pump. Right now we use them as our top quality rental with a 48/3000 and a 14 inch stainless dye barrel. They shoot like a dream, but our players are so frugal the extra $5 to move from a Tippmann 98 on CO-2 to the Auto Mag on compressed is just too much money. But the plan was to have them ready to use as pump or semi whichever we needed.

I'm getting good info from these conversation, So please keep up the feedback, I'll get the website ironed out soon I hope.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:14 PM   #29 (permalink)
Brumski

One thing you've got going for you is that you still do co2 fills. I understand advantages of HPA but every marker I own prefers co2. If the SL's are going to be hitting the ol' dusty trail I'm pretty sure you could sell them off here.
Feedback
Paintball

Old 03-01-2015, 02:43 PM   #30 (permalink)

I hate to close the door on pumps, I loved pump play and it was a great way to get new folks interested. I've got a few friends that still play pump and they have to drive to Mass to find pump tournaments to play in. That's a 500 mile round trip for them.

The sport has changed so much from when I first started, I had 3 PGP's and 2 KP1's (the KP1 was a 12 gram bolt action version of what would grow into the KP3 pump rifle) as my first rental fleet. I think we had more fun back then then we do now.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Outlaw / Private Fields