mcarterbrown.com  

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 11:02 PM   #41 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzypntbllr View Post
I really wanted to go to that houston event. That's another thing these tournaments seem to be based in Florida, New England and California for the most part. I think it's time they expand. Granted, they tried Houston and it was hit by a hurricane but what about Austin, San Antonio, or DALLAS?
Nix the San Antonio suggestion. Any worthwhile venue would be ridiculously expensive (perhaps prohibitively) and you'd want it to be an in-door venue. The weather here is just bi-polar. 80 degrees and humid one day, in the thirties and raining cold the next.

Also,from what I gather from the local scene, there wouldn't be all that much local turn-out. You'd mostly end up with just the out of town guys.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:50 AM   #42 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to blackrain

Honestly, do we really need a professional level? Why can't we just have fun in the sport. Let the large companies sponsor big games. It's good for them,because they get exposure and sell gear. I remember back at the Music City open,those were great times.
Jim and Sam would have a field set up for anyone who wanted to play on it. The vendors were there,the companies would interact with the players.

It was just a good time for everyone. Now I don't even go to large events. Last yr was the first time in about 15 yrs that I attended one. It was at Dan Bone Brakes Super Game. I had a good time. Very little crying from teams. The vendors were all local,paint was decent. Everyone was friendly. I haven't had a good time like that in a long time.

There were alot of sponsored teams there and I really didn't see a snubbed nose from anyone. Sure some took it serious,but there are those that always will.

Dan Ran a tight ship.

I also played at a Jungle Island event. Top notch. Great people and no crying. Hey you got shot resurect and go on and play some more. Trust me I had my A$$ handed to me a few times, but it was still fun. A few sponsored teams were there and they were great guys to talk with and play against.

What I'm getting at it was just a great day of paintball at both places. I think events should be run as such. Just have fun and careless if you win or loose. Hey if you're sponsored,great for you,but present yourself proffesionally and help out the young players and keep them coming back.

I met a pro player in Cali Named Todd Martinez. You know what he wasn't stuck up,he thought it was funny I was a one man team and he just had a good time playing a pump game. Talking with him I learned alot about him and his paintball experience.
I would play along side that guy anytime,cause he has a great attitude toward the sport and new players. He took the time to meet young players and talk with them. Just a great attitude toward the sport and young players.

Later,
Blackrain
Old 12-31-2010, 01:47 AM   #43 (permalink)
dragshank

The PSP needs new blood. Majority of these pro-teams, like Dynasty for example, have been around for a good amount of time. Nothing wrong with it, but they should allow rookie teams to try out as well.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:48 AM   #44 (permalink)
Devious Penguin Mod

Send a message via AIM to Surge-NS

CCM Fan
I dont mean to call anybody out here, but i'm hearing a lot of talk about changing attitudes affecting the sport, and how a growth in outlaw play and pump will save us. Its a wonderful concept but it doesn't work.

Think of paintball as a beloved dog. When the dog is a small puppy, you feed it a cup of puppy chow daily and it's nourished and happy. Fast forward a bit and your little pup is a big old junkyard dog. You love him to death, but you can't afford all the food he needs.

You can't just give him a cup of puppy chow and he'll shrink to get used to it. You have a big dog now and you've just got to find a way to feed him.

Pump and outlaw ball are the core, and they were all we needed when the sport was small. That's a great place to start, but tournament ball and other organized semi play brings money in that allows paint to be inexpensive, and pays for marketing that brings in new players when often times the fields can't afford it.

To bring it back to the topic at hand; we all know that rec players are the major contributor to the financial side of the sport, and so does PSP. Theyre trying to merge the rec market with the tourney market because that way there is more money available. Theyre simply trying to be less exclusive so that the rec guys can compete and win. And the sport does need a pro level to aspire to, but right now it's not a viable aspiration in a lot of players heads, and bringing that level down a notch for now may be the kick in the rump some really talented players need to step up to competition.

Aggressive! Kill!

https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=50&dateline=121202619  6
Old 12-31-2010, 02:48 AM   #45 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to blackrain

The rec player is the core of what keeps paintball alive,but that's me and my opinion. Honestly I think if PSP and the others closed down,they really wouldn't be missed. There is someone out there waiting to take their place.
Local Tournies are actually better. That way local players can enter and get their skills honed a little. Some players think because they have the $1000+ gun and have been playing two months,they are ready for sponsorship and can take on any one at the pro level,because they have that attitude they are pros because of their gun.
Im reallity they would get their A$$ handed to them. But that's me talking.
Personally I have fun just being at local events.

The paint,well it won't go up in price,because they are already hurting for players. I have a feeling the 3000 rnd boxes are going to make a come back. Paintball is cheap compared to 20 yrs ago.

What should happen,is that prizes should be limited local to just free season pass for winning team. Case of paint each for second, 3rd some free pods or pods with paint.
Limit 4-5 man and charge $100 per team to join. Limit it to just hopper ball and then you'll see who is the better team. It's that easy. Russel Maynard had the right idea when his operation was up and running. I'm not sure why it stopped,but more then likly funding or bitching and moaning teams and not unlimited paint.

Later,
Blackrain

Last edited by blackrain; 12-31-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:25 AM   #46 (permalink)
click click... pfft...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrain View Post
The rec player is the core of what keeps paintball alive,but that's me and my opinion. Honestly I think if PSP and the others closed down,they really wouldn't be missed. There is someone out there waiting to take their place.
Local Tournies are actually better. That way local players can enter and get their skills honed a little. Some players think because they have the $1000+ gun and have been playing two months,they are ready for sponsorship and can take on any one at the pro level,because they have that attitude they are pros because of their gun.
Im reallity they would get their A$$ handed to them. But that's me talking.
Personally I have fun just being at local events.

The paint,well it won't go up in price,because they are already hurting for players. I have a feeling the 3000 rnd boxes are going to make a come back. Paintball is cheap compared to 20 yrs ago.

What should happen,is that prizez should be limited local to just free season pass for winning team. Case of paint each for second, 3rd some free pods or pods with paint.
Limit 4-5 man and charge $100 per team to join. Limit it to just hopper ball and then you'll see who is the better team. It's that easy. Russel Maynard had the right idea when his operation was up and running. I'm not sure why it stopped,but more then likely funding or bitching and moaning teams and not unlimited paint.

Later,
Blackrain
From tourney hosts' perspectives, the bolded statements contradict. The less paint you sell, regardless of tournament format, the less profit you make. An increase in paint cost to compensate the deficit of paint sales is only reasonable. I understand that newer players aren't as devoted to spend money, and lowering paint consumption, cost and entry fees, etc., may seem to attract them to the sport. In my opinion, a newer player or team will be more likely to enter a tournament or big game in which the prizes are more expensive. I'd imagine that most people, regardless of style of play or age, would be drawn to the prize table that has a higher-end gun (electro OR BRASS for you trollers) rather than a prize table with cases of paint or soft goods.

I'd like to compliment the way Kevin (Hooligan) and the rest of the guys at DMS Scenarios out here in Colorado run their big games. Prices on everything are what I would expect as a devoted player, but their catering towards newer players is astonishing. They give out awards to newer and rookie players such as "Team Player" and "Young Gun."

The best way to mantain the current player base is to keep the majority of the current format (although I could care less about PSP, NPPL should come back ) but entice newer and rookie players and teams with incentives. Similar to what Mar does.

ColorSplash Paintball
Southern Colorado

I EAT AGGS FOR BREAKFAST

https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...ml#post1280581
^^^Feedback Link^^^

Old 12-31-2010, 11:21 AM   #47 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosty46 View Post
From tourney hosts' perspectives, the bolded statements contradict. The less paint you sell, regardless of tournament format, the less profit you make. An increase in paint cost to compensate the deficit of paint sales is only reasonable.
That's not necessarily true. In a limited paint format, an event producer could have a one, all inclusive cost, as he will be able to calculate his expenses beforehand. Assuming he pre-sells the spots for teams, he will know exactly what he will make at the end of the day, even before the tourney starts.

Players will also know exactly what they will be spending before the tournament starts.

But yes, if all or most tournaments were to go to limited paint formats, the wholesale price of paint would most likely rise some.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:47 AM   #48 (permalink)
JKR
AKA: Wraith

I agree with Blackrain...if PSP or any other tournament promoter closes up shop...does 95% of the paintball playing public even care? I know I won't miss them if they do. I play walk-on, scenarios, and renegade 'ball and the tournament scene doesn't matter one bit to me. The lifeblood of the sport is recreational play...always has been and always will be.

Oh, and actually it wouldn't matter much to me if paint prices did raise 10% or even 25% in the future. Most of the time, I buy paintballs that cost almost twice what many players are getting anyway...Marbs vs white box. If paint prices did rise and competition became even more pronounced due to decreasing market, I think we might actually see an improvement in the quality of paintballs offered.

That is, if the release of Hydrotec paintballs won't have already caused the market to improve itself with regards to quality.

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company."
-- George Washington

Feedback
Old 12-31-2010, 12:00 PM   #49 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR View Post
I agree with Blackrain...if PSP or any other tournament promoter closes up shop...does 95% of the paintball playing public even care? I know I won't miss them if they do. I play walk-on, scenarios, and renegade 'ball and the tournament scene doesn't matter one bit to me. The lifeblood of the sport is recreational play...always has been and always will be.
I agree that losing tournament paintball won't affect most of us and the industry would not die because of it. But some people seem to want this to happen, mostly out of spite. This I don't get. I don't bowl either, but that doesn't mean that all bowling alleys should close. Those that do bowl, should have a chance to do that. Those that want to play tournament paintball should have a chance to do so as well.

Actually as a recreational paintball field owner that does not cater to tournament style play, I have a vested interest that tournament players have a place to play their game. If they don't, that competitive atmosphere may show up at my recreational field more often and that would hurt my recreational paintball business. And that would hold true for any recreational paintball field. Therefore in the long run, losing tournament paintball would probably hurt all of paintball because you are always going to have players that take a game more seriously than others.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:57 PM   #50 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
RTP Fan
Man, I hope the big tourneys close up shop. I'd love it if paint prices went up. Hopefully, that would discourage agglets with bad attitudes from making the transition to rec/scenario play (Living Legends this year, anybody?)

I'd be happy paying twice as much to play if it meant quality paint, quality play, and quality people again.

My feedback
Closed Thread

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News