mcarterbrown.com  

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Old 01-06-2016, 02:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDuck View Post
Price will drive it into the dirt. Not to mention the app will probably suck, as they always do.

What happens when 2 pro teams that are sponsored by empire play against each other? And they thought sideline coaching was a problem, this thing shows exactly where people are
I'm sure the price will be very high for "a set of goggles". The difference between the Oakley Ski products with and without the electronics (Airwave and Airbrake) is about $400. So, we may very well see a $400 price increase. That doesn't mean nobody will buy them or use them. For me personally, it depends on what else it can do. I've spent large amounts on 'accessories' already (i.e. my scope with the integrated laser rangefinder), I've carried pocket GPS' onto the field in large format games. This has the potential to do that basic function, better.

One thing that seems to be clear is that the device does not require a phone to get basic functionality (location, altitude, compass, etc). Additional functionality (i.e. location sharing, etc) would come through whatever app your using it with (recon instrument's app requires folks to link each other up).

Here's an interesting thing- Recon mentions the possibility of ammo counts- here's how that could be implemented:
In the past, many gun boards included the ability to take a module that would send an RF signal whenever a shot was fired (to drive an RF linked hopper) that could be re-purposed to signal the device or, alternatively, they can use the Bluetooth in newer guns to transmit the data to the app which could then feed it to the phone.

The device itself runs android and they provide an open developer kit so, this really can become a product for the community.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
First strike rounds punish lazy people. Don't be lazy and you won't have problems with first strikes.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Rec Poster

The thing I find weird is that the mask doesnt seem to have a high quality action cam built in or at least designed around. So it's not a diy job with a tube or cube sticking off the side of your head. But an integrated system. Or maybe there is did I miss that?

Edit. I will say regardless of everything else, it's cool they are trying new things.

Last edited by leoric; 01-06-2016 at 07:32 PM.
leoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:35 PM   #13 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
The mask has the ability to sync with existing action cams using the built in Bluetooth or WiFi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmartin View Post
i think you will be fine. Fed Ex was always good to me until my wifes dog bit the driver. they usually don't avoid you unless they have a reason.
p8ntninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:50 PM   #14 (permalink)
Rec Poster

So you buy a fancy new smart mask and have to superglue a gopro to it? I'm being a little facetious. It would be really cool if it did both, link and have its own cam. Could switch to other players linked cams. And maybe you can do that.
leoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoric View Post
So you buy a fancy new smart mask and have to superglue a gopro to it? I'm being a little facetious. It would be really cool if it did both, link and have its own cam. Could switch to other players linked cams. And maybe you can do that.
Really the sky is the limit with these kind of things, everything from shot counters to calculating your trajectory, to inboard cameras to do exactly what your talking about.

Id be more worried about weight and breathability of these things then anything.

Feedback Thread
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...ml#post1997293
Warrzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:20 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoric View Post
The thing I find weird is that the mask doesnt seem to have a high quality action cam built in or at least designed around. So it's not a diy job with a tube or cube sticking off the side of your head. But an integrated system. Or maybe there is did I miss that?

Edit. I will say regardless of everything else, it's cool they are trying new things.
That's what surprises me.
I would have expected at least a provision for an integral camera mount.

Since a paintball action cam only really needs to be armored from the front (if it's going to be built into a goggle frame) it could be a lot lighter than competing camera designs like the Contour or Gopro that have fully-enclosed waterproof, shockproof cases.
This was a real missed opportunity to have a killer app.

Market the camera, have it fit this new EVS thing, but also release a new version of the E-Flex that has a dedicated cavity/mounting point for the camera. Watch the money roll in.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:13 PM   #17 (permalink)
Law
Where's Tug Contest Winner

Thinking about how something like this would get used is important, its obviously not something that you want to show up in the average recball game. The advantage of knowing where all of your teammates are without direct communication seems like it could be unfair unless everyone had access to the info. I can see some of the larger fields buying 2 dozen or so and offering them to private parties as the ultimate high end tactical experience. Or possibly a tournament situation that made them available to all teams with the field maps built in, man would that be fun to play. Long term, perhaps this will lead to better definitions of what tech should be allowed at different levels of play, something that the game has had a hard time doing consistently in the past.
Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:56 PM   #18 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

A video overview (from a CES attendant) has been posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uEn0tNHZSg
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
First strike rounds punish lazy people. Don't be lazy and you won't have problems with first strikes.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:45 PM   #19 (permalink)
Addict.

CCM Fan
If I can play a game of Classic Snake or PacMan inside my mask while I wait for a game to start, I'd be a happy customer. Make it happen, Empire!

Feedback Please!
MEDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 06:34 PM   #20 (permalink)
Bow
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
I got to fart around with it today . It is really cool. Squishy like a flex. Will post more and some photos later.
Bow is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News