mcarterbrown.com  

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Old 01-03-2008, 12:14 PM   #181 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Mindless_Chaos

Heres my 2 cents.

Honestly, once you start shooting past 12bps, its a wicked rope any way.

1 and 2/3's more balls a second..... you have already had 13.33 balls hit that spot in a second. I think the mark was hit.

If your going to play speedball in a turny, I think it should be as challenging as possible. I don't thing that extra ball and 2/3's is going to make you that much of a better player anyway.

I don't like to shoot much faster then 11-12 bps anyway because paint goes fast. I hate getting stuck reloading under heavy fire. As a matter of fact, I hate to play even on ramp. Semi is plenty fast. my marker is capable of over 15bps. I like it to be able to fire super fast, just for the sake of it, But I don't want to play with that speed. Paint gets expensive.

I think if that it should be a variable ramp if you want to be able to shoot 15bps in turny.

i.g. walking 3bps = shooting 10bps. walking 5bps = shooting 13.3bps. walking 8bps = shooting 15bps.

that way its not as easy to hit 15bps but if you really need it you can achieve it. this is the kind of ramp I would like some of the manufacturers come out with anyway.

My Feedback
Mindless_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:04 PM   #182 (permalink)
Post Whore

Lane Wright makes another appearance in the PBN thread and states unequivocally that the motivation for lowering the BPS to 13.33 is to cause a trickle-down effect in the industry. The reason the trickle-down is needed is that new players aren't staying in the sport due to getting the bejesus shot out of them by midgets with machine-guns.

PSP Rate Of Fire CHANGE - Page 41 - PbNation
Old 01-04-2008, 03:00 AM   #183 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Mindless_Chaos

That makes a lot of sense. I think its a good move.

My Feedback
Mindless_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:53 AM   #184 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Gorva Send a message via MSN to Gorva Send a message via Yahoo to Gorva

I think it's a good change. 15bps vs. 13bps means shooting less paint (not a lot, but anyways, it's a difference). Personally I don't like ramping, I always play semi -even when some people use ramping-. And, thank God, in Argentina we still play semi (capped at 15bps) in tourneys. In fact, playing semi allows you to shoot 15bps (or 13, bleh) when you want or need it, and shoot 2/3 bps when you don't need to shoot that much. It gives you control over the gun.
Gorva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:22 AM   #185 (permalink)
King of the OFG

Send a message via MSN to Robertsr

Kilt Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorva View Post
It gives you control over the gun.
Wow! Folks want that in tourney play?

FEEDBACK
Robertsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 11:35 AM   #186 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Gorva Send a message via MSN to Gorva Send a message via Yahoo to Gorva

I don't know about "folks"... I sure do.
And in the AAP (Asociación Argentina de Paintball - Paintball Argentinian Association), which is the entity that organizes the TAP (Torneo Argentino de Paintball - Paintball Argentinian Tourney) is governed by people who still like semi as much as I do.
So, in our national tourney, we play semi. CSP is different, it's the South American tourney, and they do play with PSP rules... but l reffed the argentinian round, and I saw too much wiping, so there's no way I'm playing that -at least for now-.
Gorva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:11 PM   #187 (permalink)
MCB Member

I'm going to throw this out there and watch the flames descend. While I love the idea of a limited ammo, all pump or semi league, and see merit in the thought that it has the most human driven competition of all types of speedball, I have to ask, why not a semi only, uncapped ROF, unlimited paint league? If Jon Rockstar can pull 18 bps, run a 4.4 second 40 with his gear on, and carry 7 pods while doing it, who are we to say that, at a professional level, "you need to tone it down, we can't compete with you."?

Isn't it just as much a feat of human prowess to do those things, as it is to fire and maneuver? Should Pitchers be told that they can only throw 87mph so that "the playing field is equal" because a large number of people feel that the fielders teamwork is the true competition of baseball, not the pitching/batting? What if an outer limit was set on eligible receivers? "you are only eligible to receive a pass if you are within 30 yards of the line of scrimmage. We have found that this is the average amount of yards that people can accurately throw, therefore we are limiting the area available so all teams will throw passes of the same, or similar lengths."

By imposing technological and ruled limitations such as ROF caps in semi mode and paint limits, you limit the same physical prowess you claim to be upholding.

An argument could be made to make a professional league with LESS restrictions and let those truly great at playing stand out for their abilities. No one assumes that everyone has talent even close to that as Michael Jordan, why do we all attempt to keep anyone from becoming the paintball equivalent?

Nothing beats a good day at Mount Doom.
Daze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:20 PM   #188 (permalink)
King of the OFG

Send a message via MSN to Robertsr

Kilt Club
problem is that cheater chips make such a league impossible to maintain.

John Rockstar invariably is using an illegal chip to produce his superhuman hummingbird-like speed on a trigger, and there is no way to catch him.

Just not possible to catch something with a secret trigger pull command, and it's WAY too easy to do it.

FEEDBACK
Robertsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:45 PM   #189 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daze View Post
I'm going to throw this out there and watch the flames descend. While I love the idea of a limited ammo, all pump or semi league, and see merit in the thought that it has the most human driven competition of all types of speedball, I have to ask, why not a semi only, uncapped ROF, unlimited paint league? If Jon Rockstar can pull 18 bps, run a 4.4 second 40 with his gear on, and carry 7 pods while doing it, who are we to say that, at a professional level, "you need to tone it down, we can't compete with you."?

Isn't it just as much a feat of human prowess to do those things, as it is to fire and maneuver? Should Pitchers be told that they can only throw 87mph so that "the playing field is equal" because a large number of people feel that the fielders teamwork is the true competition of baseball, not the pitching/batting? What if an outer limit was set on eligible receivers? "you are only eligible to receive a pass if you are within 30 yards of the line of scrimmage. We have found that this is the average amount of yards that people can accurately throw, therefore we are limiting the area available so all teams will throw passes of the same, or similar lengths."

By imposing technological and ruled limitations such as ROF caps in semi mode and paint limits, you limit the same physical prowess you claim to be upholding.

An argument could be made to make a professional league with LESS restrictions and let those truly great at playing stand out for their abilities. No one assumes that everyone has talent even close to that as Michael Jordan, why do we all attempt to keep anyone from becoming the paintball equivalent?
It's not saying "You can only do this so well." it is saying "15.4 BPS is too fast so now 13.33 BPS is the maximum ramped rate of fire." PSP chooses to control cheater boards by imposing a rule that allows everyone to shoot a ramping gun at "X" number of balls per second for this year. A handheld device pointed at any gun on the field can spot a violation instantly. The NPPL does not allow ramping so their unlimited semi rule is a complete joke because so many people use cheater boards to allow them to shoot ridiculously fast. Since it's "unlimited" as long as they don't get caught, they can ramp to 26BPS all day long and just be sure to pull the trigger a certain sequence before they hand the gun to the official. The cheater boards have software built in to vary the rate of fire, put in gaps and do various other things to make it appear that a human is shooting really fast when in fact a computer is shooting faster than any human can but making it look like a human is performing in the superhuman realm. It happens. All the time. At every event. The PSP knows it so they chose to take the cheater boards out of the equation.

As with any discussion about paintball the old chestnut of "Cheaters ruin everything." applies here. Don't like ramping? Too bad. We're stuck with it because of all the damn cheaters. Want to play in a semi only league? Go ahead. But be aware that any team with money and or sponsorships has the potential to be shooting a ramping board that is far faster than PSP ramping and hiding it when the officials are trying to make the gun shoot that way. No evidence equals no punishment. So...You either play where the rules are set up to eliminate one facet of cheating or you play where the rules are set up to ignore cheating because they can't catch it. Where would you feel like the playing field was more level and in the favor of those with true talent?

Feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Mr. Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:48 PM   #190 (permalink)
Icognito Remiss Firebrand

Send a message via AIM to incynr8

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Furious View Post
Where would you feel like the playing field was more level and in the favor of those with true talent?
stock class ,12 grams, and no-down-the-barrel velocity adjusters.

incynr8 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News