mcarterbrown.com  

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Old 01-04-2008, 06:05 PM   #191 (permalink)
Post Whore

Hehe, when I walked into Pev's in Woodbridge today, I mentioned the bps cap and how it made my Revy "tournament grade" again. The young guy behind the counter stated "They're ruining the damned sport by doing that!" while the older guy from Outcast and myself just rolled our eyes.

Funny enough, I was picking up some lp hose for my 'cocker and got into a big conversation with a bunch of guys in there about how WGP's older markers are better than a lot of stuff you see today (Ions and whatnot) it was an old-fogey's day at Pev's. There was even a Mokal Titan brought in.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:20 PM   #192 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Furious View Post
Where would you feel like the playing field was more level and in the favor of those with true talent?
In a league that finds a way to enforce open ROF, true semi rules. Let those who can make moves around and through 13-16 bps bursts do so. Let the quick of finger, foot, and mind rise above the rest of us. Enforce intentional overshooting rules and throw people from the league if they are found to be using cheater boards OR steroids. Set up your rules in separate classes of severity, from "game penalty worthy" to "ejection from the tournament/league" Make them known, and enforce them.

Personally, I can't wait to see the day that a "pro" player is shown on the jumbo-tron on highspeed camera doing 11bps, and a goldwave from a directional mike pointed at his gun shows it to be doing 24 bps**. Then the player gets pulled 1 for 1 and the offending player turned off the property for the weekend and not allowed to re-enter a league game until he has produced a reciept from the purchase of a league-approved board. If the team has two infractions of that caliber an a weekend, they are removed from that tournament.

Lack of rule enforcement and unwillingness to find ways to enforce those rules are "professional" paintball's biggest shortcomings.

**And really, can someone tell me why this won't work in the nppl right now?

Nothing beats a good day at Mount Doom.
Daze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 08:08 AM   #193 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daze View Post
In a league that finds a way to enforce open ROF, true semi rules. Let those who can make moves around and through 13-16 bps bursts do so. Let the quick of finger, foot, and mind rise above the rest of us. Enforce intentional overshooting rules and throw people from the league if they are found to be using cheater boards OR steroids. Set up your rules in separate classes of severity, from "game penalty worthy" to "ejection from the tournament/league" Make them known, and enforce them.

Personally, I can't wait to see the day that a "pro" player is shown on the jumbo-tron on highspeed camera doing 11bps, and a goldwave from a directional mike pointed at his gun shows it to be doing 24 bps**. Then the player gets pulled 1 for 1 and the offending player turned off the property for the weekend and not allowed to re-enter a league game until he has produced a reciept from the purchase of a league-approved board. If the team has two infractions of that caliber an a weekend, they are removed from that tournament.

Lack of rule enforcement and unwillingness to find ways to enforce those rules are "professional" paintball's biggest shortcomings.

**And really, can someone tell me why this won't work in the nppl right now?
If you read back through the thread you'll see why that is very hard and extremely expensive to implement and enforce. You need to dedicate trained technicians to inspect markers, analyze tape and provide results before the next game is played. That's why cheater boards still exist in the NPPL. They don't have the money or manpower to make it feasible to enforce unlimited semi. PSP realized that they didn't either so instead of letting cheater boards dominate the field they simply put a cap on the BPS and allowed ramping. Problem solved and the reponsibility is on the players to meet the specifactions they set forth. Like I've said before, one ref with a handheld device can check any gun on the field instantly and if it exceeds the ROF limit, the gun is illegal and penalties are assesed.

How could you possibly put a camera on every player's fingers every game to catch them in the act of using a cheater board? And even if you could, what's to stop the players from wearing hunting mittens(the kind that has the mitten part flipped back to allow the shooting fingers to be free) to conceal the trigger guard of their marker? Or tying a bandana on the feedneck like Steven Tyler's microphone to conceal the trigger guard area. People have done weirder things to skate past the rules in the past. So then what do you do? Make more rules that need to be enforced. No dangling things on your gun, no handwear that can conceal your trigger fingers. No attempts by the player to conceal that area of the marker with his body, a spare pod, a squeegie or whatever. See how things get really complicated really fast when you try to control cheater boards? Ramping with a reasonable BPS cap is the definitive way to control the max ROF that players are capable of and remove cheater boards from the equation. It requires little explanation, few resources and basically no money to enforce.

Feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Mr. Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 09:33 AM   #194 (permalink)
DCB
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to DCB

I think they have enough rules... they just need to enforce them! Get caught cheating you are out... maybe for the season. Hold some feet to the fire and let the chips fall where they may.

Peace
CPPA #1092
Pump Gun Pimp #80
LPPC #164
Spec Ops Pump User#86
Pump Player Clan
https://www.techpb.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=54098
Feedback
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...html#post78710
Gallery
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/gallery/...er=184&cat=500
DCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 09:39 AM   #195 (permalink)
Post Whore

I think they should emulate Stalin... Randomly kill err.. ban them from the season. That'd get the point across. Or you could plant some players that will get caught cheating, and will be banned forever.

I ball for Team Fracture
B&E Paintball --- Wild World Paintball
pizzaluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 09:51 AM   #196 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaluvr View Post
I think they should emulate Stalin... Randomly kill err.. ban them from the season. That'd get the point across. Or you could plant some players that will get caught cheating, and will be banned forever.
Wasn't there a comedy movie about that?

Feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Mr. Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 09:52 AM   #197 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Furious View Post
Wasn't there a comedy movie about that?
I dunno.. Now that I think about it, it seems awfully familiar...

I ball for Team Fracture
Old 01-05-2008, 12:37 PM   #198 (permalink)
Post Whore

Blackballed (film - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Quote:
Paintball's first superstar, Bobby Dukes, led his team, the River Rats, to an unprecedented three consecutive victories at The Hudson Valley National Paintball Classic. On May 28, 1993, The River Rats were competing for their fourth "Classic" victory when disaster struck. Bobby, attempting one of his signature moves, was shot. Desperate to stay in the game, Bobby intentionally wiped the paint from his jersey, thus committing paintball's most heinous crime, "wiping". A zealous referee spotted the wipe and ejected Bobby from the game. The three-time champ was banned from the game for ten years and became the laughing stock of the paintball community. Deemed a cheater, disgraced and humiliated, Bobby disappeared.

Last edited by sdawg; 01-05-2008 at 07:39 PM.
sdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 12:46 PM   #199 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdawg View Post
He wasn't random, and he wasn't planted...

I ball for Team Fracture
Old 01-05-2008, 10:00 PM   #200 (permalink)
King of the OFG

Send a message via MSN to Robertsr

Kilt Club
"You done been Duke-alated. Ya' been Bobby-sized..."

FEEDBACK
Robertsr is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News