mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Paintball News (https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/paintball-news/)
-   -   PSP Ramping BPS Cap being lowered? (https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/paintball-news/28482-psp-ramping-bps-cap-being-lowered.html)

russc 12-23-2007 01:45 AM

PSP Ramping BPS Cap being lowered?

PSP is considering lowering ROF to 13.33 bps.

If this goes through, it will have far-reaching consequences even outside of the league. PSP is far from a regulating force in paintball, but their 15bps cap has become the virtual ROF standard for most electronic paintguns in recent years.

I'm glad a step is being taken backward. I'll take any small acknowledgment that lower ROF is better.

PSP Rate of Fire Change - PbNation

Quote:

I said that I would announce what we are doing here this week. I thought that I would have a final answer. I don't.

There will be a reduction in legal fire rates beginning in 2008.

If you do not have a board that is able to adjust below 15bps, you will need to get access to another board, or have your board reprogrammed to allow you to operate your gun at a lower rate.

PSP has made a decision as to what we think is best. We are withholding a final decision while waiting for additional discussion with industry and outside industry groups who weigh heavily on this decision.

The moment that I have a final number, I will post it here.

I would recommend that people start to do what is necessary for their guns to operate at around 13.33 bps. I would also recommend that teams start to practice at this rate.

That's what I have to say for now. I may have a definitive or specific answer as early as the first week of January. As soon as a specific number is decided, there will be a press release as well as a post on PbNation reflecting this decision.

pizzaluvr 12-23-2007 01:56 AM

It's only 1.5 BPS. If your not hit at 15 BPS you won't be hit with 13.3 BPS.

Duzzy 12-23-2007 01:59 AM

Isn't that what the industry standard was 5 years ago? I think that's why the early AKA Nelson boards were capped at 13 bps.

russc 12-23-2007 02:04 AM

Yeah, I think 13 was the gentleman's agreement between manufacturers.

Pizza - I'm pretty sure it's around 2bps when accounting the 15-point-something that PSP is at right now.

pizzaluvr 12-23-2007 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by russc (Post 271962)
Yeah, I think 13 was the gentleman's agreement between manufacturers.

Pizza - I'm pretty sure it's around 2bps when accounting the 15-point-something that PSP is at right now.

Ok...It's only 2.x BPS. If your not hit at 15.x BPS you won't be hit with 13.3 BPS.

Railgun 12-23-2007 02:27 AM

13.33 balls? Are they going to chop one at the end of the one second burst to qualify for the .33 part? WHY would they come out with an extra 1/3 bps?

That's just silly.

Marmaduke 12-23-2007 02:27 AM

Field I work at sponsers a DII PSP team. Part Time Ninjas...

Anyways, I've they're all practicing at 12 something bps cap with psp ramping.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Railgun (Post 271972)
13.33 balls? Are they going to chop one at the end of the one second burst to qualify for the .33 part? WHY would they come out with an extra 1/3 bps?

That's just silly.

Well...

It's a third of a cycle a second. So after three seconds, you get an extra ball. Not a huge deal.. But yeah.

Ronin 12-23-2007 04:01 AM

If its a safety issue, surely lowering the maximum FPS to 275 (or whatever) would have more effect.

As far as 13 bps being the gentlemen's agreement number, I do believe it was. But since when, in recent years, have the industry leaders been behaving like gentlemen?

Maybe there's more to it. Maybe this is a precursor to a ban on ramping, which would remove one hurdle in the PSP/NPPL reunification. Or even toward the creation of a truly global league? (for example, anything but true semi is illegal in Australia)

I have it on good authority that paintball is slated to be a demonstration sport in an upcoming Olympics.

In any event, I WOULD like to know the reasoning behind this move.

Cockerpunk 12-23-2007 04:10 AM

i think its far more financial than anything else. teams are going broke having to shoot so much paint to win. lower the BPS will give them some break in cost.

however, this can only be seen as a great move for PSP.

drg 12-23-2007 04:45 AM

This is quite an interesting move, and I wonder how it will play out. Many people can hit 13bps walking a trigger honestly. Far fewer can hit an honest 15 bps.