mcarterbrown.com  

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Old 01-08-2008, 07:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lions, Tigers, and Bears...

Another One Bites the Dust (Tadao/SP)

Smart Parts strikes again......

Paintball News, Articles, Reviews, and More - 68Caliber.Com - THE Website for the Paintball Addict!

going_home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
lively as a coma

Who knows, maybe some good can come from it some how.

I am still not a fan of electros.
hockeytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

What good can come of yet another company bowing down to SP... Granted I doubt Will, even with Tadao's popularity, can stand up to SP for very long I myself still would have tried.

WDP (Now Angel Paintball Sports) won against SP several years ago and has been the only company to date to challenge and sucessfully defeat the Gardners in court. Not only does SP have just about the deepest pockets of anyone in the industry, but one of the Gardner bros. (Or both, can't remember) used to be patent attorneys. And STILL, WDP won.

I still have the Facefull Nov/Dec '04 issue that talks about WDP vs. SP. Obviously, the only patent SP lays claim to frequently (Even though they have many others) is the so broad and rediculously vauge 'Electronic switch triggered, solenoid actuating device' or something to that effect (I don't know all the legal mumbo so sue me... pun not really intended)

So, if I was worth half a grain that a lawyer should be, I would obviously cite the WDP vs. SP suit as grounds for having the current one thrown out. The military/DoD developed switch-activated solenoid devices in the 60s/70s for use on ordnance so technically, 'prior art' could be claimed but obviously the patent judge that awarded SP the patent didn't see it that way.

Just goes to show in this world, as much as people would like to believe right and good stand over all, it's really who you know and the all-mighty dollar.

Tsk tsk...
Piromaneak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Traded guns for cameras

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Tadao's doing this so they DON'T get sued. By signing a license agreement, they're realizing that SP holds certain patents that they (Tadao) might be infriging on.

Say whatever you want about how SP obtained their patents, but to stay safe, more companies should be doing this if they're on questionable legal ground.
Frink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

I agree..until I or someone else here does a search on the Pats. I'll hold judgement......
RealtorTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

Patenting a board is like patenting an engine(provided it didn't have any special qualities).

I ball for Team Fracture
B&E Paintball --- Wild World Paintball
pizzaluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

according to the Patents listed some include a circuit controlling device..."board"

"so you gotta cover ya butt"....well at least SP didn't take them over....yet

Last edited by RealtorTommy; 01-08-2008 at 08:54 PM.
RealtorTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
lively as a coma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piromaneak View Post
What good can come of yet another company bowing down to SP...
Well, now when I am browsing the 90 pages of advertisements in APG I won't have to see some "Pro" telling me I need to shoot 30 bps or I suck. I don't like SP telling me I am only pretending to be a "competitor" because I don't have their barrel either.
hockeytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Happy and homeless

Send a message via Skype™ to sparky

This Smart Parts techinque of "sueing, taking over or licencing every living soul" is starting to takes it's toll on me. I refuse to buy any electronic marker that has had Smart Parts money directly or through licencing fees.

It's 25 years before the patent is 'expired' and becomes public right??? Looks like it's going to be a long while before this is all over (or me buying an Electro).
Vagabond living on the side of the road in East Asia.
sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:19 AM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Paintballer50505

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piromaneak View Post
What good can come of yet another company bowing down to SP... Granted I doubt Will, even with Tadao's popularity, can stand up to SP for very long I myself still would have tried.

WDP (Now Angel Paintball Sports) won against SP several years ago and has been the only company to date to challenge and sucessfully defeat the Gardners in court. Not only does SP have just about the deepest pockets of anyone in the industry, but one of the Gardner bros. (Or both, can't remember) used to be patent attorneys. And STILL, WDP won.

I still have the Facefull Nov/Dec '04 issue that talks about WDP vs. SP. Obviously, the only patent SP lays claim to frequently (Even though they have many others) is the so broad and rediculously vauge 'Electronic switch triggered, solenoid actuating device' or something to that effect (I don't know all the legal mumbo so sue me... pun not really intended)

So, if I was worth half a grain that a lawyer should be, I would obviously cite the WDP vs. SP suit as grounds for having the current one thrown out. The military/DoD developed switch-activated solenoid devices in the 60s/70s for use on ordnance so technically, 'prior art' could be claimed but obviously the patent judge that awarded SP the patent didn't see it that way.

Just goes to show in this world, as much as people would like to believe right and good stand over all, it's really who you know and the all-mighty dollar.

Tsk tsk...

sad thing is smart parts turned it around on them and got them for like 4 or 5 things if I remember correctly so wdp really got wounded from that little scrap.

also dye had a lawsuit on sp because the sft/nxt shocker was to similar to the matrix in design. (I believe they came to some kind of agreement where they dont pay eachother royalties or something like that)
Paintballer50505 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News