mcarterbrown.com  

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Old 01-02-2017, 05:08 PM   #31 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spece108 View Post
I doubt that's an issue. The fingers probably stay in the forward position and it doesn't matter too much. The ball will deform ever so slightly and it will hold a variety of bore sizes like regular wedgits. That's just an educated guess.

so it will only bend down to one size and not bend back if balls are smaller in size to hold it. that why i said what said. since thought would bend back down for smaller size. and over use of bending back and forth would cause one them to break off.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:12 PM   #32 (permalink)
Mrs. Harbinger the void

Well mostly forward. I just doubt they move much once they are flexed almost all the way forward. Probably gives them a good range of sizes they hold, at least 2 hundredths or so. They probably last quite while.

But I use a stick squeegee on a lanyard and a folded fluffy in a shin pocket. I don't really play the types of games that I can afford to unscrew the barrel each break. This item isn't priced at the disposable level so it really has to fit your style of play.
spece108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:10 PM   #33 (permalink)
Not Worthy Of "MCBer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker View Post
you do understand theres no good filament that could print that... or the principle by how these things work.. right?
I guess I don't understand how any of this works then. Can you explain it to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by masternater1217 View Post
I'm printing a batch in PLA now. We will see what testing results in but I'm going to say offhand that I don't see them lasting long.
Try printing them in flexible filament, like Ninjaflex. Is your printer Bowden or direct drive?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEqfS6cG6Yo

Honestly, I haven't test fired it yet, but TPU seems pretty durable. They'd probably survive a swab being run through backwards as well. I'd go for maybe 1 perimeter, 2 solid rectilinear layers, slight overextrude to get them nice and solid.
Logic and reason are anathema to him; but this does not deter him from prattling on.
He is the most interesting player in the world.
GoatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:35 PM   #34 (permalink)
MCB Member

so in other words once set to biggest size. it can not bend down so smaller size paintball can be used. so set it and forget it. when comes to smaller size paintballs your out luck since it set to lager size then smaller size. so you have to have many different ones based on size of paintball since will not bend back to so smaller size to be used.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:05 PM   #35 (permalink)
MCB Member

Could sock keepers obtain the same result?
apamburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:34 PM   #36 (permalink)
KY/TN SoCal Stock Group

chrislognshot,

You don't have to set it to a particular size...you just bend the 3 prongs in to about a 45 degree or so angle and then it should work with the smallest to largest paint you have. They are made of very thin but flexible metal and will flex and hold different sizes of balls....the differences are only in thousandths anyway...not a lot of difference for them to have to flex for.
clinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:20 PM   #37 (permalink)
MCB Member

I love this idea.
@clinkman. these are really metal?! I assumed they were plastic.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:11 PM   #38 (permalink)
Patient Zero

Send a message via Yahoo to Tracker Send a message via Skype™ to Tracker

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatBoy View Post
I guess I don't understand how any of this works then. Can you explain it to me?

Try printing them in flexible filament, like Ninjaflex. Is your printer Bowden or direct drive?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEqfS6cG6Yo

Honestly, I haven't test fired it yet, but TPU seems pretty durable. They'd probably survive a swab being run through backwards as well. I'd go for maybe 1 perimeter, 2 solid rectilinear layers, slight overextrude to get them nice and solid.
i apologize for not getting back to you sooner, the reason why they are metal is that they are not feedgates, the three finger bent at 90 from the ring to fit inside the barrel (and stay bent, inside the barrel), they hold the ball by decreasing the ID of the barrel by a few thousandths.. PLA is brittle, and trying to bend it at 90 degrees is just going to snap it off, and plastic inherently has a memory, it will try to return to its original shape over time.. even TPU and the flex filaments will return to their original shape, which then means you're pushing the ball past a feedgate, which will require a ton more force to overcome the resistance of the material that needs to flex, but doesn't want to... which will also cause them to break because of the constant flexing.

the thin stainless these are cut from will bend to fit the inside of the barrel, won't bend back,, and won't break off unless you bend them back and forth a munch like a paperclip.

if you were to print these with the fingers already bent at 90 it would hold up a ton better, but my experience with PLA would tell me that the layers would delaminate fast enough to not make it worth the trouble..

^And i did it while wearing a helmetcam^ in 1080P HD if you need proof
Trackers feedback
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 04:52 PM   #39 (permalink)
Not Worthy Of "MCBer"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvQO41CSRDA

I must be really slow because most of that doesn’t contradict my understanding the operation of the product.

This would probably not work well with PLA, hence I never specified that to be the print material. So anything relating to PLA is neither relevant, nor did it even come from me.

As far as “ton more force required to flex”, aside from the fact that it’s unquantified hyperbole, if you’re going to attempt to make this assertion, shouldn’t you do it *before* it’s been disproven, not after? The earlier video shows there is very little force involved in bending the prongs back. At 0.2mm thickness, how much force could TPU even require to bend back?

Calling the mechanism a "feed gate" is not particularly useful either. It would be the worst gate ever, hence the design parameters are significantly different. That, and the term "feed gate" barely means anything to paintball players, much less the outside world.

A better description for the thing you're taking issue with would be "living hinge". The prongs will be acting like a living hinge -- with a 90 degree bend and very light loading. I think the current parameters are fine. I think they even fit within parameters for polypropylene.

You've predicted that TPU versions will fail, which is ... kind of an easy prediction. Everything fails at some point. Such a prediction without bounds is useless. In fact, that exact same prediction could have been made by someone with no experience whatsoever with either paintball or 3d printing. “That will fail at some point.” Great!

Does your experience allow you to make a *useful* prediction as to when TPU versions will fail? Will they fail after 100 shots? 500 shots? 2000 shots?

Maybe if you can’t say when they will fail, can you at least estimate, "It will last at least [x] number of shots"? (Fill in the [x].)

For example, let's say they last 500 shots (which is kind of a lowball, but let's pay with the numbers).

It costs me $0.03 to print one of these (ballpark filament + energy), compared to buying a metal one at $4.16 a piece.

That means I'd have to burn through >138 of these before break even against the metal ones.

That means I'd take 69,000 shots before break even against the metal ones. Again, kind of on the lowball side.
Logic and reason are anathema to him; but this does not deter him from prattling on.
He is the most interesting player in the world.
GoatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 01:59 AM   #40 (permalink)
Patient Zero

Send a message via Yahoo to Tracker Send a message via Skype™ to Tracker

CCM Fan
congratulations, you win!

you are clearly smarter than all of us here. especially by doing it in a thread ripping off the original idea!

coulda just said "i printed some in XXX, they work just fine" but nope, you had to go the extra mile to prove how smart you are..

really, im sure all of us here are quite impressed.. i know i am

^And i did it while wearing a helmetcam^ in 1080P HD if you need proof
Trackers feedback

Last edited by Tracker; 01-16-2017 at 02:05 AM.
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News