mcarterbrown.com  

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Old 02-12-2017, 03:47 PM   #31 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by martix_agent View Post
There seems to be a whole lot of hate towards shocktech, based on how they were, towards the end.
Other then attaching their name to an ANS cocker, and some other low end guns towards the end what else did they do to get hated?

I know there's a small minority of cocker guys that hate them due to accidentally (giving the benefit of the doubt) being sold frames that were production rejects for a small run non BBT associated custom project.
theangrydragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 05:13 PM   #32 (permalink)
MCB Member

It wasn't just the frames that went on the Palmer's guns, the majority of those raw frames on Ebay were rejected parts.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:22 PM   #33 (permalink)

I feel like part of the resurgence now is because the NXL is introducing their Mechanical league this year
Old 02-14-2017, 10:21 PM   #34 (permalink)
WVU paintball #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullofpaint View Post
It wasn't just the frames that went on the Palmer's guns, the majority of those raw frames on Ebay were rejected parts.
You're exactly right, the problem wasn't just with the Palmer build frames but almost all the frames they sold on eBay and their website. They continued to sell the frames to whomever would buy them too, even after it was clear they had problems.

The SFL and Old School body kits also had problems. Their lowertube dimensions weren't correct which made installing a valve impossible. I recall one person sent their body to CCM (since a new set of CCM internals wouldn't fit into the ST body). It was confirmed by CCM that the body kit were flawed. Luckily CCM somehow fixed it for the owner.

The worst part about these situations is Shocktech always blamed the other parts for being the problem and refused to accept any responsibility (at least at that time).

The above examples are undoubtedly why they mentioned using "original" designs for the new parts. They know they messed up and have to make this run of parts appear legit. I wouldn't give ST a dime, even if their new parts are awesome. Luckily there are now a few other autococker-focused companies which are exponentially better than Shocktech.
minimag03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 11:08 PM   #35 (permalink)

Small request- The market could really use pre-2k spec vertical ASAs. I believe you had some with a gauge port that were very nice. They have become an impossible to find part, and the old stock ones do not anodize well at all.

Good luck, excited to hear.

https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...ors-stuff.html
MikeyWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 06:01 AM   #36 (permalink)
Mad Science of Paintball

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyWonder View Post
Small request- The market could really use pre-2k spec vertical ASAs. I believe you had some with a gauge port that were very nice. They have become an impossible to find part, and the old stock ones do not anodize well at all.
-I suspect that those wouldn't be too high on the list for ST, given the very minimal demand.

If you're interested though, I could kick out a short run in 6061. (I believe the originals were 2021 or similar- the different alloy anodized a different shade.)

If you're looking for a bone-stock WGP ASA with the early square-corner notch to fit the body, that's easy. Drop me an email if you're interested.

Doc.
The Definitive Guide to Paintball in the Movies!
DocsMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 04:12 AM   #37 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
There seems to be a whole lot of hate towards shocktech, based on how they were, towards the end.
The hate goes both ways. It really seems like there are "Autococker Hipsters." A lot of those Hipster-Types really hate anything new. I'm a die hard Inception fan, and these guys hate everything Simon has done because they see it as copying the old school. They don't seem to grasp that if not for Simon, the current vogue in Cockers might not have happened, and certainly there might not have been a market for companies like BBT/Shocktech to market their wares to.

As for the hate towards BBT/Shocktech, I can tell you that I was all set to purchase an 09 SFL kit a while back until I get the reports that all the stock they are selling is essentially production rejects: frames that are out of spec that cause a lot of slop in the trigger, and bodies that can't fit valves, etc.

The root of it is that we have Hipsters on both sides that are unable or unwilling to let things change or go.

I can only vouch for myself, but I want to see a return of more companies with a wider array of parts and guns to enjoy again. I have come to rediscover mechanical guns and actually cherish the venerable Autococker over just about everything. Which is why I really want the Mech Division takes off and flourishes. The main reason that I have been able to think of for not seeing a lot of new refined high end mechanical guns from more companies is that there is no call for them.

Which bring me back to the start of my joy that BBT/Shocktech is back. If there is a market and a demand, they might make some good guns again. Then if there is a high profile tournament series to essentially advertise the guns, we might get to enjoy even more things from even more companies.
breg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 12:33 PM   #38 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to martix_agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by breg View Post
The hate goes both ways. It really seems like there are "Autococker Hipsters." A lot of those Hipster-Types really hate anything new. I'm a die hard Inception fan, and these guys hate everything Simon has done because they see it as copying the old school. They don't seem to grasp that if not for Simon, the current vogue in Cockers might not have happened, and certainly there might not have been a market for companies like BBT/Shocktech to market their wares to.

As for the hate towards BBT/Shocktech, I can tell you that I was all set to purchase an 09 SFL kit a while back until I get the reports that all the stock they are selling is essentially production rejects: frames that are out of spec that cause a lot of slop in the trigger, and bodies that can't fit valves, etc.

The root of it is that we have Hipsters on both sides that are unable or unwilling to let things change or go.

I can only vouch for myself, but I want to see a return of more companies with a wider array of parts and guns to enjoy again. I have come to rediscover mechanical guns and actually cherish the venerable Autococker over just about everything. Which is why I really want the Mech Division takes off and flourishes. The main reason that I have been able to think of for not seeing a lot of new refined high end mechanical guns from more companies is that there is no call for them.

Which bring me back to the start of my joy that BBT/Shocktech is back. If there is a market and a demand, they might make some good guns again. Then if there is a high profile tournament series to essentially advertise the guns, we might get to enjoy even more things from even more companies.

I've never met anyone who isn't excited about inception products.
Old 02-18-2017, 01:11 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
There has been a fair amount of hate especially recently with the announcement of the Hornet.

People say why would he deisgn them as a direct copy of a ST gun?
when in fact it's not a copy at all, the shark gill design goes way farther back than the first time ST did it, that cut was something coming out of home brew shocks long before ST did it.

The other gripe is the design of the pneumatic sets. The main one being for some reason people think that the empire/inception three way is a copy of a ST bomb... when in actuality they are quite different especially since the ID three way doesn't require some special spec'd duro o-ring just to make it work and seal right.

Renick actually took to facebook after the announcement of a return and tried to quell the hipster stupidity by saying himself and Simon have and will continue to have a friendship. The more people we have working together in the mechanical market the quicker we will see a growth in paintball I truly believe.
DeadlySickness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 01:29 PM   #40 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
You aren't on the same FB groups I am. "Copyception" "Garbage" etc have all be used.

Mostly it is the guys that are angry that the Hornet looks too much like a Westwood.
breg is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News