mcarterbrown.com  

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Old 11-07-2017, 08:36 AM   #71 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menace View Post
Unless "they" are Simon, not very likely.
I didn't think Simon worked on the Defender.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:19 AM   #72 (permalink)
Perfection will suffice

Yep.

He's talked about it extensively on a number of occasions. He had that idea way back, and it just took time to get the thing developed.

Like the Resurrection, it was one of his last projects at KEE/Empire.

Maybe he'll weigh in here, but I cannot remember if he said that he completed it right before leaving, or if they completed it in his absence.

But either way, that whole idea was his from the very beginning.

My Feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Have you seen That Paintball Channel?
Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:46 PM   #73 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

I think the quality/durability will be the standard by which this thing sinks or swims. I'm nervous that this "battery free" loader will be too closely based on the Cyclone, which is rough on paint and to my knowledge, still has issues with the ratchets which haven't been resolved.

Personally, I love the idea of a marker that doesn't require a blimp on top but also doesn't require the unreliability and added cost of magazines, but I'm also nothing some obvious downsides. With the loader position I feel like it will cause mask interference issues aiming down the barrel, and I wonder how certain sizes of tanks will fit.

I think the price point corrects the biggest flaw of the defender which was the exorbitant price for a niche or curiosity marker. At ~$300 I think more people would be willing to give it a shot than the initial $1000+ cost of the defender.
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 04:22 AM   #74 (permalink)
Back to paintball.

Send a message via AIM to Ir0nExpress

Simon had the Dfender idea but someone else bought it to life after he left. I attended the tech class for the Dfender release and the finishing touches (or lack of in my opinion) was completed by someone else.
Ir0nExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 10:39 AM   #75 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolRogue View Post
I think the quality/durability will be the standard by which this thing sinks or swims. I'm nervous that this "battery free" loader will be too closely based on the Cyclone, which is rough on paint and to my knowledge, still has issues with the ratchets which haven't been resolved.

Personally, I love the idea of a marker that doesn't require a blimp on top but also doesn't require the unreliability and added cost of magazines, but I'm also nothing some obvious downsides. With the loader position I feel like it will cause mask interference issues aiming down the barrel, and I wonder how certain sizes of tanks will fit.

I think the price point corrects the biggest flaw of the defender which was the exorbitant price for a niche or curiosity marker. At ~$300 I think more people would be willing to give it a shot than the initial $1000+ cost of the defender.
First I agree with most of your post but on two things.

One...when I held a defender (in essence what this but (going on what stated) without electronics and without full magnesium metal body) with a mask on sighting down the barrel is actually easier given clean line from front to back.
the only fault on it is if the gun (like the defender) was longer than your arms and it was not a short stubby race gun (the loader not being on top)
but tuck it under your armpit or you could handle it it was a dream for barrel aiming.

for tanks it was tricky if you wanted on gun....smaller the better.
it was mostly set up for remote.

Two on to the ratchet system on tippmans (and sorry in advance if this drifts off topic). I owned an x7 and in my research of both x7 and a5 before purchasing a used x7 the ratchet issues were talked about heavily.
The issue was the original ratchet was plastic and paddles were hard plastic.
the plastic paddles were hard on paint and the ratchet was known for breaking (along with issues on the rod) . I personally saw this happen a few times on a field.
that is why companies like techt (and others mine just happened to be them) came out with kits with metal ratchets, rods, squshy paddles and total upgrade kits.
the metal ratchet and paddles solved the problems quite well as I found on my x7 (it was upgraded already due to being used).
not an uncommon problem a new gun uses cheaper parts.

I suspect this will be no different....just add some aftermarket upgrades and vola ...problem solved.

if they are gonna use a cyclone hopper outside of the already known part it uses more air then it could be a nice non battery option.

I just hope the body is close to being as tough as the defender

Scrounger
scrounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 11:58 AM   #76 (permalink)

Word is that the hopper mechanism is actuated by a rod driven mechanically from the rearward motion of the bolt and not by excess vented gas.

I wonder if the wheel seen at the bottom of the loader section is a pretensioner or if it has to be wound up in addition to the bolt motion.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 02:42 PM   #77 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inflicted View Post
Word is that the hopper mechanism is actuated by a rod driven mechanically from the rearward motion of the bolt and not by excess vented gas.

I wonder if the wheel seen at the bottom of the loader section is a pretensioner or if it has to be wound up in addition to the bolt motion.
I'd guess the rod would be an actuator
The spring probably runs the paddles or wheel,the rod would release tension on a gear or cog to feed the next ball
That's how I'd do it anyway,it'd be a good way to index each ball per shot
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
punisher068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 11:07 PM   #78 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inflicted View Post

great, now your gun AND your hopper can synchronously have problems, or vice versa.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

In the world I see - you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Tower. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying strips of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway.

Visit my Etsy store:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/crowsnestwampum
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 11:33 AM   #79 (permalink)
Bow
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
If we get one in the shop I'll post up a video. Big boss man always gets the hookup with the new stuff...
Bow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 04:31 PM   #80 (permalink)
MCB Member

While it is ugly, I'd be happy to break my balls all over it. I guess I'm not picky....
bellicose is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News