mcarterbrown.com  

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Old 01-27-2020, 01:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
Trekkie

I feel the heart of the issue is people that use airsoft and milsim stuff in public.

And i know ppenty of kids who like airsoft, they dont cause harm. We cant just say "**** em" anyways" cause they have not done anything wrong. Kids can like war in a misguided way but, its not our place to take that from their hands.

I once was all in to combat and etc, but thats past and i would still play mislim if it fancied me, because i know its not an accurate representation of war and death.

That being said, if you call yourself out on a bounce shot (knowing it was skill that hit you and "luck" that saved you) , you may qualify for sainthood
-Mithuna

https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...-feedback.html
mlzplayer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 02:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via MSN to Gabe

Threads like this make my head hurt. First, how are you going to define "replica gun"? How broad does that need to be? Just because you personally don't like milsim or airsoft doesn't mean that you can just limit somebody else's freedoms because it doesn't apply to you. This could very easily be amended to include any black guns, or anything that fires a projectile at XXX velocity. Nobody is necessarily safe from future amendment of legislation.

For me, it's screw this kind of lawmaking. Cops are going to shoot the wrong people regardless if there's a 1/2" orange tip on the gun or some other marking. A shoot/no shoot decision on the part of a police officer is situational and not dependent on the real or fake gun split second thing. Walking around with an airsoft gun on the streets? Bad idea, probably going to get you shot. Walking around at the airsoft field with that same gun? Just fine. We don't need to legislate common sense and/or try and make up for a lack of training on the part of police.

Okay let the political firestorm commence.
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 02:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
<Custom User Title>

i play airsoft in winter (indoor) paintball in summer (outdoor)

bills like this are wild to me. I get that people misuse either airsoft or paintball guns but thats more because person X is a dip ****.

alot of the airsoft guns are spooky real. if someone came upto me in an alley with one, im not gonna take the time to look for a fill valve or stare down the barrel looking to see if its a smaller bore. (No orange tips in canada).

yeah, airsoft does tend to have more of a "LARP army" feel to it, but I play in a pair of paintball pants, a jersey, my vios etc. Seeing more of that too.

TLDR; this law is silly, idiots will be idiots no matter what.

Why I am a Champion (Feedback)

Paintball Guns > Tuition
Allerstern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 04:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
MCB Member

Hypothetically - I'm a bad guy with a real gun with ill intent; I wrap the end of my firearm's barrel with 1/2" wide orange tape to get a few second drop on someone....

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

My Pyre #PY008 RF Oak Grendel's Feedback on MCB Pyre Serial Number List
Grendel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 04:22 PM   #15 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via MSN to Gabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
Hypothetically - I'm a bad guy with a real gun with ill intent; I wrap the end of my firearm's barrel with 1/2" wide orange tape to get a few second drop on someone....
Non-hypothetically airsoft guns have been legally supposed to have a 1/2" orange muzzle tip to show that. No reported incidents of ner-do-wells painting a real gun with an orange tip that I know of.

The common thread with people bent on doing others harm: they don't care about the law. Statistically violent crimes with firearms are committed with inexpensive handguns purchased illegally and concealed without a permit also illegally.
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 12:15 AM   #16 (permalink)
Mad Science of Paintball

This kind of thing is more insidious than you might first realize.

A ban against toy guns (of whatever form) is in reality intended to be a sort of counter-indoctrination. That is, if a child never has a toy gun while growing up, chances are they will form no interest in getting a real gun when they get old enough.

That's not, of course, how it tends to work, but it's worth keeping in mind "gun control" plays the long game. Our rights have been slowly, but constantly reduced time and again, ever since 1934- and rights lost are virtually never regained.

If the kid never has a toy gun growing up, that tends to drastically reduce the chances of them having interest in real guns as an adult.

Yeah, the ban will be packaged as a child safety thing, but the untold but intended purpose is to keep the toys away from the kids, so they don't become interested in the real thing.

(And again, yes, I know it doesn't always work that way, but also again, when has logic ever stopped a politician?)

Doc.
The Definitive Guide to Paintball in the Movies!
DocsMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 08:03 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
(d) Definitions.-- As used in this section, the following
words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this
subsection unless the context clearly indicates otherwise:
"Imitation firearm." An object or device reasonably capable
of being mistaken for a genuine firearm.
"Toy gun." A facsimile or reproduction of a firearm that is
marketed as a toy for children and is substantially similar in
appearance, size and shape to a genuine firearm.

- This is the policing equivalent of "It's coming right for us!"

The way this will (likely) be interpreted in court is not people getting fined for selling paintball guns to minors, but will be trotted out as a defense of police actions taken against people who had anything in their hand that could be vaguely construed as a weapon.

If I had to guess this is in response to the prevalence of handguns in urban areas being used for crime, this reduces the burden of responsibility on an officer when identifying threats. If I had to guess, were I to look up these reps you'd find they are all from the bluer areas of this handy dandy crime map.

And a quick googling provides just that Story 1

tl;dr it's a badly worded law meant to avoid the liability lawsuit that comes with a police officer having to guess whether or not that pistol is a real pistol. The likelihood of it effecting paintball or airsoft in the places it is played is low but that's not a real reason to just let it slide.
Attached Images

Matt Ribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 11:42 AM   #18 (permalink)
Cobra Paintball Fanatic

PPS Fan
I say to hell with that bill, not because I personally want to play milsim or airsoft, but because the people who push this BS won't just stop at airsoft. If they get the airsoft guns the next thing they will dream up will be something probably sold as an anti-graffiti ordinance that targets paintball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cameron View Post
Anyone who thinks they can out-birddog a birdog, regardless of weather conditions, is just stupid.
My Feedback
ScrapIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 12:38 PM   #19 (permalink)
lew
Fartrell Cluggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocsMachine View Post
This kind of thing is more insidious than you might first realize.

A ban against toy guns (of whatever form) is in reality intended to be a sort of counter-indoctrination. That is, if a child never has a toy gun while growing up, chances are they will form no interest in getting a real gun when they get old enough.

That's not, of course, how it tends to work, but it's worth keeping in mind "gun control" plays the long game. Our rights have been slowly, but constantly reduced time and again, ever since 1934- and rights lost are virtually never regained.

If the kid never has a toy gun growing up, that tends to drastically reduce the chances of them having interest in real guns as an adult.

Yeah, the ban will be packaged as a child safety thing, but the untold but intended purpose is to keep the toys away from the kids, so they don't become interested in the real thing.

(And again, yes, I know it doesn't always work that way, but also again, when has logic ever stopped a politician?)

Doc.
This^...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIron View Post
I say to hell with that bill, not because I personally want to play milsim or airsoft, but because the people who push this BS won't just stop at airsoft. If they get the airsoft guns the next thing they will dream up will be something probably sold as an anti-graffiti ordinance that targets paintball.
... and this^.

These morons will try to rid us of anything even remotely reminiscent of a firearm, and, if you think they'll leave paintball guns alone, I've got a bridge to sell ya. I couldn't care less about airsoft or milsim, but that's not going to stop me from supporting their right to recreate how they see fit.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 03:02 PM   #20 (permalink)
Fire Avatar by Flounder

Fan of EMR
Brass and Wood Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
I will say, the sponsors appear to be all Democrats, suggesting that any votes on this bill may be strictly along party lines. If that's the case, the bill is unlikely to pass any votes and may not even be brought up for a vote at all as the Republicans control both houses of the General Assembly by fair margins.

Sorry for the politics; I generally assume it's OK on strictly paintball-related issues
spent several years in the industry - don't do it
shoveling horse [$&*!] is a better job
Feedback

CAX

I am "SPARE EDDIE"
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News