mcarterbrown.com  

Photography Grab your camera and video equipment and head on inside!

Old 04-05-2017, 11:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Looking to start shooting paintball

hey fellow shooters (the photo kind!)
i am not a stranger to the world of sports photography
....but the paintball field is new territory for me. im mostly concerned with protection, not of me ..but my gear....im a canon guy and L's are pretty expensive! i figure my 300 2.8 will work just fine but all id typically put on it is a kata...is this enough?
another question is....are most players respectfully of an on field photog? if i am shooting outside the tape...out of firing lanes etc...would most of em leave ya alone? or will they try and hit you?

just looking for any input i can get!
thanks!!!!
NYKNIGHT01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 11:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

most people aren't complete jerks. You should be safe from intentional shooting, especially if you are at an actual field with refs that can enforce rules.

Help yourself out by wearing bright colors and a tape or something that says 'PRESS' or 'MEDIA' or something.

Maybe you could make a plexiglass shield for your gear? I'm not a photographer so I don't know how that would work.

Nevertheless, regardless of all efforts, you and your gear will one day be shot. It's just a matter of time and human error.

So if you really aren't ok with your gear possibly getting shot...don't go.
apamburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

just like he said. but you need think about this. you should ask said field if okay. if is okay most fields will have you use ref shirt or something that make you stand out that your not player. you also got put your shoe of ref. since you will want to act and look like ref with camera at same times. so people do not think of you as player. also you got think of this too are you will to put your camera or lenses at risk too.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

another question i need to ask why type of camera are you going to use. i found out i will need 18-300 or 150-600 or 200-500 lenses to take good long shots.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
I have a 18-300? At the house that I use for long range shots when photographing paintball and it works well enough. I use a rebel t3i so it serves the desired functions however depending how the action plays out players will be careful and mindful of where the players go so you can avoid being in the middle of the fire fight. I have had to use my body as a shield to protect my camera at times because of where I was and who was shooting, be mindful. A giant plexi glass shield will weight you down and people shoot at it just to make it not able to see out of. They are a pain to clean as well. Lol
Old 04-07-2017, 06:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ran out of characters.

CCM Fan
I used a Kata on my D300 when I shot paintball, and I found that as long as players knew there was a photographer on the field I did OK as far as being shot at went. I used an 18-200 and did just fine.

(Then again, I reffed X Ball as well, so I had a pretty high tolerance at the time)
How to get around UPS fees
mtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

here the other issue you have to think about are you will to put camera or lenses at risk of being damage.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
I just stacked a couple filters on my lense or two and hope I didn't get a shot straight to the lens. HAHA
Old 04-07-2017, 10:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

i been told its not good to stack couple of filters on camera. unless your using make less photo editing. i also been told uv filters are good but do not all ways need. i leave my on protect the lens since live beach and other areas of FL where wind picks lots sand from area. what filters do you use.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
I have one uv filter on my camera as it helps with picture quality as I am in georgia...works for my needs. On the field though I use it to protect it anything that may scratch the actual lense. I rather kill a filter than an expensive lens.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Photography