mcarterbrown.com  

Photography Grab your camera and video equipment and head on inside!

Old 10-18-2017, 09:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
MCB Member

here something you should think about before doing any editing to your photos. if your going to sell them to news paper or any site that does news story's. they only want then unedited pictures. since do no want to make story look fake.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

^ yup...
and honestly try to get it right outta the can...
otherwise its an illustration....
doing it straight...will force you to be better!
NYKNIGHT01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 12:40 AM   #13 (permalink)
MCB Member

this year the local news paper told us that. they will not use or pay for your photo. they want it raw and not touch ups. so you have to learn fast if you want your work to be used for all news and online news sites. magazine another story. since some are tabloids other want to have story to tell and does not care if edited or not.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
Daddy

All solid information, guys!

I have no intention of making money or selling to paper or any of that. I just want to be an instagram superstar. ...Im kidding. It's really for my own personal collection, but I want nice photos.

I know there are rules (like of thirds) in photography. I was hoping someone would either lend some advice on that or link to YouTube videos that really spell it all out.

Also, is this a hobby in which ya just have to jump in and buy a camera? or do ya start by applying rules to your cell phone camera, etc etc.
If I need a camera, what's a solid starter that won't put me broke. Used or not.

Thanks,
Chris

My MCB Feedback:
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...-feedback.html

Magic Card Sale/Trade:
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...ollection.html
Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot View Post
All solid information, guys!

I have no intention of making money or selling to paper or any of that. I just want to be an instagram superstar. ...Im kidding. It's really for my own personal collection, but I want nice photos.

I know there are rules (like of thirds) in photography. I was hoping someone would either lend some advice on that or link to YouTube videos that really spell it all out.

Also, is this a hobby in which ya just have to jump in and buy a camera? or do ya start by applying rules to your cell phone camera, etc etc.
If I need a camera, what's a solid starter that won't put me broke. Used or not.

Thanks,
Chris
Honestly, this is where it helps to take some type of tradition art class, at a community College, art school, community center, etc.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comp..._(visual_arts)A

It's all the basic rules of composition. When we learned it in high school art they were broken down and we took written tests to describe each one (I think we studied like 7 or 8, this Wikipedia article lists more).

Yes, you can use the rules of composition to take better cell phone pictures. Your cell phone also has manual settings so you can start to play around there, but without being able to adjust the depth of field your going to be limited compared to even the most basic dslr.

Edit here's a really good link i found to what these mean in photography
https://www.trentsizemore.com/2012/08/16/principles/

Last edited by theangrydragon; 10-20-2017 at 12:50 PM.
theangrydragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:52 PM   #16 (permalink)
Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by theangrydragon View Post
Honestly, this is where it helps to take some type of tradition art class, at a community College, art school, community center, etc.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comp..._(visual_arts)A

It's all the basic rules of composition. When we learned it in high school art they were broken down and we took written tests to describe each one (I think we studied like 7 or 8, this Wikipedia article lists more).

Yes, you can use the rules of composition to take better cell phone pictures. Your cell phone also has manual settings so you can start to play around there, but without being able to adjust the depth of field your going to be limited compared to even the most basic dslr.

Edit here's a really good link i found to what these mean in photography
https://www.trentsizemore.com/2012/08/16/principles/

I actually want to take one pretty badly... but I am "vacation relief" at work right now... which means I could end up on any shift... It makes it pretty difficult to sign up for classes like that. Maybe eventually though.

--My Nexus camera SUCKS.

My MCB Feedback:

Magic Card Sale/Trade:
Old 10-20-2017, 01:05 PM   #17 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Photography and paintball can have parallels....u can start it with a starter kit....hate it and sell it off in a year. Or. Fall in Love with it and become broke.
My first DSLR....was 300bucks ...for the whole kit. It was a used 10d ...16 years ago I think....never thinking it'd go past that....2 years after I made my first contracted shoot...2 years after that I was buying a lens that was worth more money than the car I was driving at the time. 1 year after....I'm on the Jets 50 ....knicks baseline.... working first base side at a yankee game or apron on a title fight at msg...all wouldn't have happened if that "first " camera didn't hook me
.so
U never know where your "first" will take you....it's you that takes it...but you need to love it first!
Take the advice of others here...take a class..play a little..no need to hit a complex camera just yet. Learn some basics. See if you like the "pics" u take and are are happy with just that ...or u want to be better...and start making "photographs".
This way when u do get one. Ull know ur way around it! Before u start selling ur paintball gear to buy camera stuff!
NYKNIGHT01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:15 PM   #18 (permalink)
Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYKNIGHT01 View Post
Photography and paintball can have parallels....u can start it with a starter kit....hate it and sell it off in a year. Or. Fall in Love with it and become broke.
My first DSLR....was 300bucks ...for the whole kit. It was a used 10d ...16 years ago I think....never thinking it'd go past that....2 years after I made my first contracted shoot...2 years after that I was buying a lens that was worth more money than the car I was driving at the time. 1 year after....I'm on the Jets 50 ....knicks baseline.... working first base side at a yankee game or apron on a title fight at msg...all wouldn't have happened if that "first " camera didn't hook me
.so
U never know where your "first" will take you....it's you that takes it...but you need to love it first!
Take the advice of others here...take a class..play a little..no need to hit a complex camera just yet. Learn some basics. See if you like the "pics" u take and are are happy with just that ...or u want to be better...and start making "photographs".
This way when u do get one. Ull know ur way around it! Before u start selling ur paintball gear to buy camera stuff!

So, what's a camera setup that I should look at to just start playing around with?

My MCB Feedback:

Magic Card Sale/Trade:
Old 10-20-2017, 01:30 PM   #19 (permalink)
Pew pew

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
I think you need to draw a line between editing photos or developing photos.
If you take pictures in jpg format with a well adjusted camera you can get away without developing them. If you shoot any kind of RAW format you need to develop the pictures with some kind of software.
I use Adobe Bridge and photoshop, but most camera manufacturers have their own software.
When we start talking about editing that's a whole new can of worms and there are as many opinions as there is photographers.

BPM
Blue Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:21 PM   #20 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
PPS Fan
Raw is becoming pretty ubiquitous these days. I use one drive and it supports raw browsing of your photos on any device. Granted, the difficulty with raw is every device processes it differently. Luckily if you have a printer that accepts raw images they will typically balance exposure and color if you check the box.

Amazon prime photo allows raw image development for pretty cheap. Otherwise I export in bridge and upload them to Walgreens. Neither of these are great when it comes to quality, but they are cheap.

It's kinda fun just to print what you have and see how the turn out.
theangrydragon is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Photography