mcarterbrown.com  

Photography Grab your camera and video equipment and head on inside!

Old 10-20-2017, 08:43 PM   #21 (permalink)
Daddy

Can someone elaborate on "raw?"

My MCB Feedback:
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...-feedback.html

Magic Card Sale/Trade:
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...ollection.html
Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 09:29 PM   #22 (permalink)
Legal Eagle

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
work NON-DESTRUCTIVELY.
THIS ^^. remember Ctrl-Z is your friend if you up

Feedback +38/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
Click here to pay me via Paypal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.
Falcon16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 09:43 PM   #23 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot View Post
So, what's a camera setup that I should look at to just start playing around with?
ull think im nuts...but
i have seen amazing stuff come from cell phones...especially iphones..
this...will force you to see..compostion...lighting..basics.
without the confusion of....lenses...speed settings...aperture...iso..depth of field...blah blah blah..
if u start looking at those pics ....and go i loved these but i wish i could....
ur ready for the next step...a decent digital camera built in lens ...small enough to carry in ur back pack or even pocket...ones with settings that allow u to change the aforementioned speed and aperture... mess with that.. look up and read about what each of thoes do...
then see where u are...u may love just that...
once u go beyond that...ur into a dslr....different lenses...primes, zooms, teleies...and lugging all that crap....
but...much like the pain it is to get ur autococker tuned just right...youll LOVE the results...and itll all be worth it!
NYKNIGHT01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 09:48 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
A raw file is a collection of unprocessed data. This means the file has not been altered, compressed, or manipulated in any way by the camera. it's the direct ones and zeros that come out of the sensor. The files are very large, 32mb in my camera. Most of the time they come out plain and boring so you need to adjust things to bring out the colors you remember you have way more information available to adjust without it affecting the quality. When you set your camera to jpeg it adds preset colors, filters, lense corrections and compresses the photo to about 5mb. But you lose information when you do this. any edits after the compression to jpeg dont have as much leeway.
I shoot in raw+jpeg. If it's a photo that wasn't exactly the exposure I wanted I grab the raw and export it to jpeg myself. The jpegs if taken right come out great from my sonys so I don't need to play with them.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-21-2017, 10:35 AM   #25 (permalink)
Patient Zero

Send a message via Yahoo to Tracker Send a message via Skype™ to Tracker

CCM Fan
one of the advantages of RAW is that you can adjust you colors directly.. thing an image needs more blue? adjust the slider for it.. its not like the old systems where adjusting one affects colors elsewhere

^And i did it while wearing a helmetcam^ in 1080P HD if you need proof
Trackers feedback
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 03:50 PM   #26 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
if you look at jpg and raw file you see you can do more editing to pictures in raw. take look at this site this explains all of it in nut shell each camera brand does thing differently too. so better to shoot in full raw then compressed or it smaller size like my camera does i have large 6000x4000 24.0m: medium 4496x300 13.5m: and small at 2992x2000 6.0m megapixels.

it helps bring files size down and better for faster processing. but computers now so advance you do not have worry about with fast usb ports and how easy to get larger hard drives too.

https://photographylife.com/compress...compressed-raw

some cameras allow you to do Uncompressed or Lossless Compressed or Compressed

Compressed

by default, “compressed” means that some of the data in the RAW image is thrown away, so we can also label it as “Lossy Compressed”. Depending on how lossy compression is performed by the camera, you might be losing some valuable data that will limit your post-processing capabilities. For example, Sony cameras by default apply lossy compression to RAW images, which can result in artifacts appearing around objects, as seen below:

Lossless Compressed – as the name implies, lossless compression means that a RAW file is compressed like an archive file without any loss of data. Once a losslessly compressed image is processed by post-processing software, the data is first decompressed, similar to what happens to archived data contained in a ZIP file. Lossless compression is the ideal choice, because all the data is fully preserved and yet the image takes up much less space.

Uncompressed – an uncompressed RAW file contains all the data, but without any sort of compression algorithm applied to it. Unless you do not have the Lossless Compressed option, you should always avoid selecting the Uncompressed option, as it results in huge image sizes.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:57 PM   #27 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

raw is the negative u can process it anyway you want...its "raw" data from the capture
a jpeg...which is what most digital cam spit out...and what we see here...is a processed image from what the camera's internal processor thinks u want to see...
(this is where light balance comes into play)
for the most part...a lot of people shoot jpegs. many high end cameras will shoot both...a jpeg file for instant use (raws need to be processed)
and a raw image for user manual processing.

film wise...think like this..
a raw image is the negative...you can process it however u like with out loss of image qaulity.
a camera produced jpeg...
would be like a Polaroid..instant...and not alotta work to spit out an image...but if ur white balance was off or...u over shot (exposed)...oh well..you have to try to rescue it in a post editing software....
Old 10-22-2017, 06:43 PM   #28 (permalink)
Daddy

This may be a stupid response but whenever I download an image (whatever source it may be from, usually my cell phone) I literally just take the image's title on my computer and change it to "example1.JPG" and it changes it to jpg...
Im not sure what further information I am trying to prove or ask by telling you this.

Also, I have a Nexus cell phone and the camera is ***, at best.

My MCB Feedback:
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...-feedback.html

Magic Card Sale/Trade:
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...ollection.html
Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:36 PM   #29 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
..and change it to "example1.JPG" and it changes it to jpg...
a file extension can be anything...u can make it example1.azzhl0e...and u may get the changing file extension can make the file unreadable error. but it doesnt do anything to the file itself..our company blocks certain files in emails....like .zip...we just change it to .xyz and itll send, when we go to use it...just change it back to zip.
but its still a zip file and needs to be extracted. a .raw (canon raw file) or .NEF (nikon's raw file) needs to be converted before its used.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:01 PM   #30 (permalink)
Post Whore

also if your using gimp it will not work with raw file from nikon it does not see it or recognize it. so you have to use light room or nikon program to mess with with raw files. not sure on any other program that will on nikon raw files.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Photography