mcarterbrown.com  

Photography Grab your camera and video equipment and head on inside!

Old 09-14-2018, 10:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Canon EOS R: Full Frame Mirrorless

Anyone else been tuning into the launch of Canon's new system?

What ya'll think? I think it's a cool first attempt but Sony still has them smoked. I tried to soft switch to a A7ii and the IBIS was amazing.

Tons of vids pro and against out there. I'd certainly enjoy shooting one. I'm glad Canon did the R, but from what I've seen it's a smaller 5D iv permanently on (a better version of) Liveview.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/p...rrorless/eos-r

I think the R system will get massively better with a pro-entry. The fact that there's only one card slot is all too telling.

What say you MCB?
Old 09-15-2018, 09:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

from what i got from tony and Chelsea fro know photo and matt granger they can not make true review in till get full version since using beta alpha or what most people calling it post production model. i also be mad about not stabilization on body only lens. that makes huge issue since nikon and sony have both body and lens to work hand to hand. take look at this link. i am getting new z6 with 24-70mm z f4 lens with mount

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/n...he-canon-eos-r
Old 09-16-2018, 10:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
PPS Fan
I would've like to see it at a more entry level price point, but I guess the full frame sensors still havent dropped
In price. Even with good yields and economies of scale it sounds like more silicon=more $$$ and that's just the way it is.

It was nice they are selling lens adapters, but do we really need another mounting system?

I have the 6d now, if I had the option I'd definitely go with the 6d again.

IMO the play here would've been to do a retro case, smaller lens or maybe even a fixed lens and gone after a high end consumer play aimed at Leica. Something like a professional photographers weekend and vacation camera.

They could've done so much more with the body with the extra space and they just didn't. I did notice the lenses are smaller, but will optics/speed suffer?

Last edited by theangrydragon; 09-16-2018 at 10:32 AM.
theangrydragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

I just find it funny that they are going with just pro glass but the first body is basically prosumer spec.

dragon: sorry to say that price is what passes for entry level hot new new canon FF mirrorless. They'll do a pro model eventually.

My .02 is that the advancements in glass/mount in this system will be phenomenal, but they may go unnoticed if the sys doesn't sell well. Maybe they're going more for still photographers than videographers? I wanna rent one n give it a try but I'm not interested in mirrorless really.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thotograph View Post
I just find it funny that they are going with just pro glass but the first body is basically prosumer spec.

dragon: sorry to say that price is what passes for entry level hot new new canon FF mirrorless. They'll do a pro model eventually.

My .02 is that the advancements in glass/mount in this system will be phenomenal, but they may go unnoticed if the sys doesn't sell well. Maybe they're going more for still photographers than videographers? I wanna rent one n give it a try but I'm not interested in mirrorless really.
A lot of people said the same thing. That cannon is pricing people out. also said looks like cannon does not want to alienate dslr fans. also said by doing this will not get people want to covert over in till come out with lower price option. but said glad to see coming as pro model and with pro glass unlike nikon. but all nikon glass is semi pro glass.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Glass certainly matters... I think it'll attract people who want to retain their DSLR system and do a native R lens or two. Don't think anyone by and large will a true convert from competing systems. I'm excited about the optics more than the body. I'm good with DSLR for the foreseeable. Trying to upgrade my body in the near future. I have a tired 5Dii... put all my quatnus into glass (the holy trinity of 2.8 zooms). Gotta get a 35mm n 50mm prime. I really like Sigma.

I wonder if the Sigma will do Art lenses in this new R mount. That'd help bolster things considering their selection and popularity.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thotograph View Post
Glass certainly matters... I think it'll attract people who want to retain their DSLR system and do a native R lens or two. Don't think anyone by and large will a true convert from competing systems. I'm excited about the optics more than the body. I'm good with DSLR for the foreseeable. Trying to upgrade my body in the near future. I have a tired 5Dii... put all my quatnus into glass (the holy trinity of 2.8 zooms). Gotta get a 35mm n 50mm prime. I really like Sigma.

I wonder if the Sigma will do Art lenses in this new R mount. That'd help bolster things considering their selection and popularity.
yes glass does matter but you do not want to price people out.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Photography