mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 08-23-2017, 07:17 PM   #21 (permalink)
Paroxysm

Installed most of the drivers... and unfortunately HD 4870 is not supported properly in windows 10 limited resolution sucks.

Gonna have to get something more supported.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:20 PM   #22 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yomillio View Post
Video cards used to be the best way of doing it, but I'm talking back in like 2010. Dedicated miners took over for a bit because they could do it much more efficiently - I too am curious what shifted the market back. I haven't been in the mining game for about two years now.
It went away for bitcoin as the hashes got too complex to make money off GPU rigs. That's what keeps bitcoin stable is eventually making new bitcoins will become too computationally expensive. Bitcoin miners ditched gpu's for custom built fpga's and i think they even have actual IC's now for just bitcoin.

Then other cryptocurrencies started up and will follow the same cycle until everyone realizes that its a total bull**** economy. But because all the other cryptocurrencies are in the GPU phase of complexity it sent the prices up again. Which is why cryptocurrency is bull****, you get to the limit of one and you create another.

I'm sure a lot of the GPU's are also ending up all over the world in brute force crypto/password cracking rigs too, as the easiest way to get cryptocurrency is just to blackmail people.

Last edited by theangrydragon; 08-23-2017 at 11:23 PM.
theangrydragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 06:19 AM   #23 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scougar View Post
Installed most of the drivers... and unfortunately HD 4870 is not supported properly in windows 10 limited resolution sucks.

I would counter that the limited resolution is probably your poor memory on how decent that card is. Win 10 is chock full of decent base level drivers. AMD has excellent support, even on legacy devices, so there is a driver out there somewhere, I just don't know that it's going to give you what you think that OLD card can deliver. Resolution has come a LONG way since then.
punkncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:29 AM   #24 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scougar View Post

Need to use a legacy driver. Find the last driver officially released for that card. Then install in compatibility mode.
Also, just try installing the driver through device manager. Don't install the software.
Spyder E-MR5 - for those huge scenario games
seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 11:10 AM   #25 (permalink)
Paroxysm

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkncat View Post
I would counter that the limited resolution is probably your poor memory on how decent that card is. Win 10 is chock full of decent base level drivers. AMD has excellent support, even on legacy devices, so there is a driver out there somewhere, I just don't know that it's going to give you what you think that OLD card can deliver. Resolution has come a LONG way since then.
Desktop resolutions over 1600 have been used on CRT monitors for many years. The problem is not that the card can't do it. It is a driver issue, and the last available driver for it was for windows 8. I installed that but no dice.

I will play around and get it working, I just am focussing on getting the RAM stable at 3200Mhz at present (Darn 'memory training' that Ryzen does at POST). Apparently some motherboards will get an option to boot with 'normal' settings (to get the 'training' of the memory out the way, and then select the higher settings. There are also some options on some motherboards to POST with a higher voltage. I think what is happening is the memory posts at the standard 1.2v's, but a higher SPD of 3200mhz uses 1.35v's, so it fails.

Last edited by Scougar; 08-24-2017 at 12:36 PM.
Scougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 01:43 PM   #26 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Every motherboard I ever used I always considered the "stock" settings are basically the default base memory settings, this allows the system to POST. May not be actually usable or stable, but it gets you to boot.
From there you either set the BIOS to whatever setting to achieve actual memory settings.

I always just manually set voltages and timings, I've always found this to be the most stable.
Spyder E-MR5 - for those huge scenario games
seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 05:04 PM   #27 (permalink)
Paroxysm

OK, got a few mins to have a play.

1) As long as windows 10 doesn't install over the top of the driver I have manually substituted my own driver and now finally have 1920*1080

2) Upp'd the DRAM voltage to 1.4v (from auto 1.344v) and it seems to boot with 3200Mhz on the RAM this time. Time will tell if it reverts and I have to manually set it (Hopefully future BIOS revisions make the memory 'training' less of a pain in the ***.

EDIT:
3) Jurassic World now works with the driver in, and it seems to run really really well. I am quite surprised. My daughter will be really please, and I was thinking I would have to get another GFX card for her lol. This gives me a little time to save and get a reasonable one hopefully so I can play games again

Last edited by Scougar; 08-26-2017 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:25 PM   #28 (permalink)
Paroxysm

Experimenting with overclock. 3.7Ghz @ 1.256V and RAM at 3200Mhz

Seems pretty nippy so far.

EDIT: I have just played an hour of Planetside 2, and then just tried the benchmarks on Tomb Raider (The recent ones not the ancient one). I am astonished that they even play, and they play REALLY well even on my HD4870 512MB graphics card. No problems in the CPU department and overclock hasn't had a crash yet, might just leave it like this.

Will definitely be starting to do some dev work on it soon as well Really impressed with the Ryzen chip so far.

Last edited by Scougar; 08-30-2017 at 11:46 PM.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in