mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 10-05-2017, 11:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Some dumb computer questions

So got the urge to build a pc, haven't had a windows machine in forever and am a bit rusty.

Building a monster PC but would like some opinions since I've been out of it for a while. Planning on using it for gaming mostly, maybe some editing if I get back into that side of film production.

1) So it seems like the Ryzen AMD chips are the way to go right now? All the benchmarks have it beating the Intel chips pretty handily. Looking at either a Ryzen 7 1800X, the new 8700K, or an i9 7900. My builds all end up pretty comparable but the Ryzen is a couple hundred cheaper than the others.

2) Are all the M2 hard drives the same as the Optane tech or what is the difference between the two?
Old 10-06-2017, 12:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
PPS Fan
Intel Optane is the fastest, but in consumer form its made for caching, not for mainstream storage. The Optane drives for mainstream storage just launched and they're over a grand for under 400gb. It won't be a mainstream/useful option until it comes packaged in DIMM's. The M.2 slot that the consumer optane comes in is basically 4x PCIe slot in a different form factor. While faster then mainstream ssd its still a bottleneck.

Other then optane M.2 drives come in sata or NVMe. You want the NVMe ones, preferably Samsung.

For performance benchmarks are easily gamed to make either Intel or AMD look better. Processors aren't really a bottleneck for gaming, but if you wanna get into the minutia read into the architecture rather then the bemchmarks.

The one thing that Intel offers that AMD won't until next year is the integrated GPU. These were pretty worthless as of now in gaming systems but newer games will be able to take advantage of the integrated GPU for more processing power for stuff like physics engines. The i9 doesn't have the integrated GPU, though.

I know its tempting to get the latest and greatest, but there isn't a lot of performance gains from sky to kaby to coffee. Canon will be the die shrink to 10nm, so you still wont see a major performance gain until ice lake (next gen architecture).

Spend the money on the NVidia 1080ti or two and good cooling because they run hot.

Last edited by theangrydragon; 10-06-2017 at 12:35 AM.
theangrydragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 07:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

I would point out that where the Ryzen line is posting HUGE multithread benchmarks, the Intel chips are still quicker single thread, and will offer a better "desktop" environment. Most gamers are still swearing by them as well.

With that said, I just purchased a R3 1200 as a test bed for a future build idea for an R7. I have been nothing but impressed with it so far. I went safe, with motherboard vendor list RAM, no overclock, and it is working perfectly as a console (game) replacement on my main TV. I would also point out that is was well cheaper than what I would consider a comparable Intel build. IMO this R3 1200 compares very favorably to a 4th gen i5 4690, if that helps at all.

I really can't help a lot on the M2 drive selection other than to say pay attention to what (format) your Mobo will support and purchase based on that.

I tend to agree with a comment I read here by another poster, in regards to GPU. It is cheaper to purchase several "60" level cards over a couple of years than it is to own one "80" level card. Cooler and less power consumption as well. I still run a 960 in both my "gaming" rigs and see 60 frames on medium to high settings in many titles at 1080. Of course, I stay behind the curve a bit on most games (or play at 720)

Last edited by punkncat; 10-06-2017 at 07:51 AM.
punkncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 09:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkncat View Post
I would point out that where the Ryzen line is posting HUGE multithread benchmarks, the Intel chips are still quicker single thread, and will offer a better "desktop" environment. Most gamers are still swearing by them as well.
This is due to Intel being able to dynamically allocate all the L3 cache to a single core, AMD's L3 cache is fixed to each core so under most workloads it has a limited L3 cache compared to Intel. Most desktop workloads are moving data through the processor rather then using the arithmetic functions of the processor, and most of these workloads are single core optimized.

AMD actually has more L2 and if i recall more L1 cache. I haven't compared performance of the floating point unit and the arithmetic processing between the 2. I suspect for SIMD functions the Intel will have an advantage, but only specific optimized workloads take advantage of these and a lot of this type of processing is typically handled by the GPU.

Gaming and video compression are going to use the arithmetic function and gaming especially is going to use the floating point processing unit. But again, most gaming will take advantage of the GPU for floating point processing.

New gaming API's like directX12 and Vulkan (based on openCL) finally take advantage of multicore processing so processors will become relevant again to gaming. CPU's haven't been for years as GPU's starting with the Nvidia 8 series GPU's could do processing beyond just 3d graphics. These new APIs can also use multiple video cards without crossfire or physical links as well as the integrated GPU on the processor. That being said you'd want to look at Skylake or better if looking at Intel and Ryzen with lots of cores if looking at AMD.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to travis1581

Quote:
Originally Posted by theangrydragon View Post

Other then optane M.2 drives come in sata or NVMe. You want the NVMe ones, preferably Samsung.
I will say going to a Samsung NVMe from a SSD is about as large of an upgrade from a standard HDD to SSD. I will never build another PC without one.

Evil Ehm Build
travis1581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

So thinking this is gonna be my final build, any thoughts? Going with a Mini-ITX build for a small footprint, buddies going to lend a hand with setting up a liquid cooling system.

Way overkill, and I'll probably step down the processor if I can't find a deal on some of the other stuff. Debating if I should get just one 1TB NVMe and a smaller main drive.

Processor: Intel Core i7-8700K
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-I GAMING
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3000MHz
Power Supply: 750W Lian-Li PE-750 (Platinum Rated)
Storage: 2x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 960 EVO) (NVMe)
Graphics Card: 1x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB (Performance Edition)
Old 10-06-2017, 11:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

^ Unsure what manner of high speed data access you are in need of but....

I typically use fastest, nicest drive as OS. Will generally go with another SSD for my Steam drive, but then other "just plain storage" there is generally no need with going better than a standard platter (with a backup).

I love Mini ITX until it comes time to add something you didn't think of/down the road. They tend to be hot as well, but the liquid cooling will offset that.
punkncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 12:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
PPS Fan
Mini ITX builds are fun! Specs look good, similar to the build I currently have but 2 intel generations newer.

Check out the forum at https://smallformfactor.net/ to get some ideas. It's kinda like the MCB of building small computers.

You'll probably find in a cool mini ITX build the case usually dictates components so start there.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to travis1581

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullofpaint View Post
So thinking this is gonna be my final build, any thoughts? Going with a Mini-ITX build for a small footprint, buddies going to lend a hand with setting up a liquid cooling system.

Way overkill, and I'll probably step down the processor if I can't find a deal on some of the other stuff. Debating if I should get just one 1TB NVMe and a smaller main drive.

Processor: Intel Core i7-8700K
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-I GAMING
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3000MHz
Power Supply: 750W Lian-Li PE-750 (Platinum Rated)
Storage: 2x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 960 EVO) (NVMe)
Graphics Card: 1x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB (Performance Edition)

I would suggest adding a few corsair HXXX (model will depend on the case). One of the CPU and one for the GPU. Ive been using the Corsair line for about 8 years now with no complaints. As simple as it sounds, they actually use a liquid that is non conductive (not all companies who make all in one watercoolers do).

As Punkncat mentioned, 2x 1 TB M.2 is probably over kill. If your looking to save money, I would go with one and a standard SSD.

Evil Ehm Build
travis1581 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in