mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 10-06-2017, 10:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Resident ATS Enthusiast

Odd Android question: VPN stuff

I have 3 phones that I need to keep connected to a VPN over my home wifi. I've used a few apps, and they generally work well, but will occasionally 'drop' off the VPN (despite still reporting that they are connected). Is there a way to prevent this? I have seen some premium VPN apps on the Play store that might work, but I really don't want to be paying $3-10/month per phone for premium services.

My feedback thread
lordkyleofearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
PPS Fan
You try OpenVPN? Super easy to set up on Asus routers and pretty stable.

Also are you set up on a service that provides a static address for a dynamic IP typically offered by ISP's? DynDNS is good and most routers can upload ip changes automatically.

One drawback with these services is you have to be on your security game because your firewall will get hammered with bots trying to sign in with default logins.

Last edited by theangrydragon; 10-06-2017 at 11:06 AM.
theangrydragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Resident ATS Enthusiast

I need each phone to be assigned a separate public IP, because of reasons. Wouldn't a router-based VPN just route all traffic over a single IP?

I have some traffic that cannot go over a VPN (work access restricts VPNs) but I can probably grab a cheap router for the 3, if OpenVPN will give each a unique IP.

My feedback thread
Old 10-06-2017, 11:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Resident ATS Enthusiast

Hmm, it looks like I may be able to use OpenVPN Connect (their official app) to get the job done. I'll have to read up on it some more while at lunch...

My feedback thread
Old 10-06-2017, 11:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
PPS Fan
Are you leasing 3 public IP addresses from your ISP? Otherwise you won't be able to get 3 public ip addresses.

Each phone will have one public IP address, you VPN in home and it will be assigned a private IP address but all their public IP addresses will all be your home IP address. For each phone you can pass 3 or more different ports. The closest thing you'll be able to get with home routers and low cost would be to use the paid for DynDNS service and get 3 different URLs that route to the same IP address with 3 different ports that get routed to 3 different phones.

Be aware for most consumer customers ISP's sometimes block a ton of incoming ports to prevent malicious bothers and servers to be set.

Otherwise you'd need a commercial router that can handle multiple public ip addresses/commercial internet connections well.

Static ipv4 IP addresses are pretty expensive these days, which is why your ISP gives you a dynamic address. URL's on the other hand are cheap and will never run out.

What are you trying to do?

Last edited by theangrydragon; 10-06-2017 at 11:27 AM.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Resident ATS Enthusiast

My current setup is using VPN apps on the phones to pull unique IPs, but it's not ideal as, for some reason, (possibly unstable wifi or incoming service from Spectrum) the phones occasionally fall off the VPN service. The app still reports that they are connected, but if you check, they are back on my home IP.

I know that Android supports PPTP VPNs, but I'm unsure how effective that option is (especially given all the apps that offer alternatives to the native service).

My feedback thread
Old 10-06-2017, 11:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Resident ATS Enthusiast

I just need to be able to access a given webpage from 3 unique IPs. The data overhead is very low (I set a data monitor, and it looks like 7.1mb per day, per phone).

My feedback thread
Old 10-06-2017, 11:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
Resident ATS Enthusiast

I called my ISP to inquire about multiple IPs, but Spectrum said my only option would be to purchase multiple internet connections (sign multiple contracts) and their rates start at $40/month, which isn't an option.

My feedback thread
Old 10-06-2017, 11:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Resident ATS Enthusiast

If it matters, I'm less concerned with the security aspect of the VPN than I am about the IP obfuscation.

My feedback thread
Old 10-06-2017, 11:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
PPS Fan
You may want to look at some of the hosted VPN services if that's what your looking to do. Off the top of my head the easiest thing would be to set up 3 home servers (virtual machines) each logged into a hosted VPN service. You could use RDP on Windows or ssh with xwindows to a browser is fairly easy to set up and their are Android xwindows clients. Your phone would still need to be vpn'd into your home server.

Edit, i checked, even easier tomato router firmware (dunno if dd-wrt has since added this) does support multiple openvpn clients (outgoing vpn connection), so you can VPN into multiple hosted VPN's that will all give you seperate IP addresses. Then just build the routes back to the private static ip addresses your VPN server (incoming VPN connection) assigns to your phones and you can use your phones native browser or application to access from different ip addresses.

This would be the easiest.

Last edited by theangrydragon; 10-06-2017 at 11:51 AM.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in