mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Plugged in (https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/plugged/)
-   -   Kodi box (https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/plugged/304692-kodi-box.html)

iKNOWaFATman 10-06-2017 10:50 AM

Kodi box

Well i just bought me a new tv, and its 4k so now i need me a kodi box since im not going to pay for cable. I know the firestick that everyone is pedaling is not 4k... i have the new fire tv on preorder, but im wondering now if i should cancel that for something better? For the price anyway. What are you all using for your free movie/tv streaming kodi boxes?

Mr Idiot Box 10-06-2017 11:20 AM

Raspberry Pi w/ Retro Pi and Kodi. Cost about $100 to build. Maybe another $30 if you get the Bluetooth keyboard I use to operate it. You will need an amazing internet connection to stream in high resolutions. I don't stream in HD but I get everything for free with no commercials w/ everything on demand.

I don't think kodi apps offer 4K

iKNOWaFATman 10-06-2017 11:24 AM

Comcast 55 mps should be fast enough.... and my router will be hooked up ethernet to the box if needed

punkncat 10-06-2017 11:26 AM

You can't stream to a PC 4K yet. The best you will do in Kodi is 1080, and much more often 720 and less.

My smart TV is Roku enabled and does all the app type smart TV stuff at "4K", but I can't load Kodi into it alone.

Mr Idiot Box 10-06-2017 11:45 AM

I get around 75mps and have trouble with HD. I always stream in standard works great and I save $120 a month.

Jebus 10-06-2017 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Idiot Box (Post 3422338)
Raspberry Pi w/ Retro Pi and Kodi. Cost about $100 to build. Maybe another $30 if you get the Bluetooth keyboard I use to operate it. You will need an amazing internet connection to stream in high resolutions. I don't stream in HD but I get everything for free with no commercials w/ everything on demand.

I don't think kodi apps offer 4K

I stream 4k movies on my kodi box no problem. Just gotta make sure no one else in the house is using the internet either lol.

I paid $65 for my box... need another one soon - this one is good...but I should have paid a little more for the next step up.... or get a Raspberry pi.

iKNOWaFATman 10-06-2017 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jebus (Post 3422351)
I stream 4k movies on my kodi box no problem. Just gotta make sure no one else in the house is using the internet either lol.

I paid $65 for my box... need another one soon - this one is good...but I should have paid a little more for the next step up.... or get a Raspberry pi.

But what are you using tho?

JonM 10-06-2017 12:03 PM

Best of all, if you're running Kodi on a Raspberry Pi, you can also run RetroPie on it. Forget about paying scalper prices for the NES & SNES Classic Editions. I have every classic game I'd ever want on mine from systems like the NES, SNES, Genesis, Master System, 2600, Gameboy, GBA and so on. The Pi 3 does struggle a bit with anything from the 64-bit era and on; but anything 32-bit and earlier runs great.

punkncat 10-06-2017 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jebus (Post 3422351)
I stream 4k movies on my kodi box no problem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iKNOWaFATman (Post 3422354)
But what are you using tho?

Yes, please elaborate on that.

First off, source me anything off "smart" platform that is really 4K, and second show me when/where the RIAA allowed it and in what format?

Edit- as a "for instance" to that. You CAN stream 4K video from an app based smart TV and the like device. Like Netflix. But, the app for your computer will not stream 4K. Even if you have capable equipment, what it is bringing you isn't really 4K, and you can see the difference.

iKNOWaFATman 10-06-2017 04:35 PM

Netflix claims 4k what are you saying? Its nit 4k ?