mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 10-07-2017, 12:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Resident ATS Enthusiast

I'm building a new computer: do my parts look solid?

Hey computer friends!

I'm getting ready to build a desktop computer (first system in nearly 5 years!). Before I order, do any of yall want to give me any feedback on my parts list? I'm going to be buying most of it from Amazon, as I've got about $500 in gift cards to work with, but the rest I can shop around for. I'm looking at used monitors as well.

For connectivity, I'd still prefer wired, but I have an old USB adapter that can get me there for now.

I also have an old Dell mid tower that I'm using for a case, because it was free and I don't care what it looks like.

Mostly it'll be used for CAD work/3D printer stuff, maybe some occasional gaming (yeah right, like I've got free time!)

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mw98pb

My feedback thread
lordkyleofearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 05:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Not Northern per Mar

If you can spare the extra cash, I'd go for a pure SSD (say 250gb) and a 1tb WD. Itwill only be 75 bucks more, and you will notice the performance on boot and your main programs for sure.

Cheapish SSD - crucial mx330, or samsung if you dont mind spending more
Hard Drive - WD blue for cheap, WD black for not much more.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to travis1581

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alive View Post
If you can spare the extra cash, I'd go for a pure SSD (say 250gb) and a 1tb WD. Itwill only be 75 bucks more, and you will notice the performance on boot and your main programs for sure.

Cheapish SSD - crucial mx330, or samsung if you dont mind spending more
Hard Drive - WD blue for cheap, WD black for not much more.
Agreed on the SSD. It doesnt need to be huge, just big enough for windows, all of the updates they will force on you throughout the years and maybe a game or 2. I have a 250 gb for main and a 100 gb just for games. No problems so far as long as I only have 4-6 games installed at a time.

Evil Ehm Build
travis1581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 04:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Resident ATS Enthusiast

Thanks! I'll move to a 250gb M.2 SSD for the main drive and I'll toss an old 7200 RPM jobber in for mass storage (I'm not even sure what I'll store these days...)

My feedback thread
lordkyleofearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 05:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Not Northern per Mar

The WD Blues are 50/TB, I have one for about a year with no issues and they have good reviews. Supposedly the Blacks are noticeably faster and are around 65/TB I think.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Pancake

CCM Fan
Another +1 for SSD. I have an M2 as well and it is the bees knees! Another +1 for WD over seagate on the HDD. I had a seagate that crapped out, and heard from EVERYBODY afterwards that oh yeah seagate hard drives do that. I could have just been unlucky but might as well be safe. Should be a great machine!
If one is going to be an ambassador to the sport do your best to try to convey to new players what the sport is about and attempt to convey the same message to the players that are being abusive.
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

not sure if it wise to get used mother board. since not sure on guaranteed on them. you do not know how over used or abused the mother board was.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

Before you plan on using that old Dell case, take it apart and make sure it uses standard motherboards/parts. They love to use "off standard" parts, particularly mobo in their builds. Commonly you will not have the holes you need.

If not, cases start at around $20, so no big deal.

On the platter storage, if it's non critical use one of the hdd from an old build as backup....
punkncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 02:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

From a performance perspective you could go with 16 GB of ram and not worry over a SSD and HD setup.
A main OS SSD is great but once you are loaded into windows and only running a couple of programs most of everything will be running from Memory.

An SSD just loads things up faster, so if you are not playing a lot of games, ie map loads, load on demand programs, there is a very little difference from a HD.

Mostly a preference thing if you are determined to stay under budget.

However from a data perspective I would recommend storing all your CAD data on a secondary HD in case your OS fails or the primary drive fails. Won't lose any work that way.
Spyder E-MR5 - for those huge scenario games
seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 02:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

If you can bump up the graphics card some you might be interested in the 1060 3gb

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/c...cmp%5B%5D=3566

The performance to value is just a bit better on gpubenchmark than the 1050 ti.

Just a thought.
blitz121 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in