mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 10-24-2017, 08:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

Just got new laptop was looking get usb 3.0 spilter

My laptop only has 2 or 3 usb ports was looking at getting a usb 3.0 spliter that give me more usb ports. If where to transfer files or info on to more then 2 devices will it cause transfer rate issue. Reason why i am asking so if want to use my usb 3.0 card reader to transfer files to my 4 tb back up hard drive will cause issue of fill transfer. will be using wiresless mouse on laptop since hate think pad. Might have other portable hard running on it too. Like i do for my desktop. Since where store all my pictures and other stuff on.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Legal Eagle

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
you'd be splitting the bandwidth available if you did it that way. There aren't too many ways around it unfortunately though. Basically learn to live with it.

Feedback +38/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
Click here to pay me via Paypal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.
Falcon16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 12:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
PPS Fan
No usb-c or at least usb-a 3.1 ports? Bandwidth shouldn't be an issue with those.
theangrydragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 01:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Bigger Balls

If your objective is to backup data to an external location, you have other options than utilizing a USB port. My understanding is that typical write speed over USB 3.0 is ~100MB/s, peaking around 200MB/s. This only matters if you're backing up to a drive that has a write speed equal to that or greater.

A 1gbit ethernet network also has a ~100MB/s transfer rate. So, plug in a cheap NAS like a WD My Cloud into your 1gbit router and call it a day. Bonus is that you won't be tethered to the drive. Drawback is that when you're utilizing the full speed of the NAS it will impact other network traffic like streaming movies to that same machine.

Last edited by Siress; 10-25-2017 at 01:24 AM.
Siress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 06:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siress View Post
If your objective is to backup data to an external location, you have other options than utilizing a USB port. My understanding is that typical write speed over USB 3.0 is ~100MB/s, peaking around 200MB/s. This only matters if you're backing up to a drive that has a write speed equal to that or greater.

A 1gbit ethernet network also has a ~100MB/s transfer rate. So, plug in a cheap NAS like a WD My Cloud into your 1gbit router and call it a day. Bonus is that you won't be tethered to the drive. Drawback is that when you're utilizing the full speed of the NAS it will impact other network traffic like streaming movies to that same machine.
not to back update but to hold all my pictures on it. since i got hard for really good price on that 4tb hard drive. reason why i ask since will be using card reader that usb 3.0 and was not sure if use spliter will cause issue with transfer issue if move from one hard to another when its transferring files as card reader is send to files to one hard drives
Old 10-27-2017, 01:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislognshot View Post
not to back update but to hold all my pictures on it. since i got hard for really good price on that 4tb hard drive. reason why i ask since will be using card reader that usb 3.0 and was not sure if use spliter will cause issue with transfer issue if move from one hard to another when its transferring files as card reader is send to files to one hard drives
The transfer speed will be what it is.
Just make sure to use a powered USB hub to power the multiple drives.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-.../dp/B00DQFGH80
Spyder E-MR5 - for those huge scenario games
seajay is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in